Question about WVYWA qualifier

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Beast

Question about WVYWA qualifier

Postby Beast » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:57 pm

The "Wreck the Halls" tournament hosted by the Iron Eagles is an odd year tournament & a WVYWA qualifier. How are points going to handled? If a 10 yr old wins the 10 & 11, does he get points in the 10 & under or 12 & under? If an 11 yr old wins, does he get points in the 12 & under?

Also, weight classes don't agree with WVYWA. If a kid wins the 10 & 11 122 lbs. class, what WVYWA class would he get points in?

Just trying to understand the system a little better before committing to a tourney with a setup that is unusual/unique when compared to the other qualifiers that we have been to.

Thanks,

coach_williams

Re: Question about WVYWA qualifier

Postby coach_williams » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:53 pm

I obviously don't speak for the WVYWA, but it seems to me that your two scenarios kind of answer themselves.

- An 11 year old that wins a qualifier 10 & 11 year old class would have to wrestle 12 and under since he would be too old for 10 and under. By the same measure, I assume a 10 year old that wins 10 & 11 year old class would not want to wrestle up to 11 & 12 year olds and thus would have his points applied to the 10 and under class. So in a scenario where an 11 year old won 1st place and a 10 year old took 2nd place, the 11 year old would have his first place points applied in the 12 & under class and the 10 year old would have his 2nd place points applied in the 10 and under class.

- A winner of the 10 & 11 year old 122 class would have to either use those points in 10 & under 125 or 12 and under 123 since his weight would dictate he couldn't use them in a lower class and his age would/should dictate which age group he or she goes with.

Beast

Postby Beast » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:47 pm

I was just reading the rules and doesnt Rule III.A.3.b on Page 22 state that "All WVYWA Qualifying Tournaments will use the weight classes established by these rules."?

ebpioneer96

Postby ebpioneer96 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:27 pm

I noticed other tournaments say they are WVYWA qualifiers, but are doing age as of tournament instead as of Jan. 1st 2016. You would think all of the qualifiers would have the same age, weights, and cut off date.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:32 pm

Yes it does. By definition of the WVYWA rules the Wreck the Halls tournament doesn't comply with weight or age classifications. I don't see any mention of the Wreck the Halls tournament being a WVYWA qualifier on their flyer, so maybe the WVYWA decided to just accept their results this year with expected compliance on weights and ages next year. I am just guessing here.

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:24 am

If they don't use standard weight and age systems set by the WVYWA their results will not be use for seeding. they can verify base weights at this tournament though since they are a member team. That would be my guess.

Jchap8750

Postby Jchap8750 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:08 am

I didn't see on the entry page that the Wreck the Halls was a point qualifier event. Maybe I missed it on there but maybe someone could clear that up.
Is it a qualifying event?

Wrestlingprodigy40

Postby Wrestlingprodigy40 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:18 pm

You can still get points even if it is not labeled as a qualifier. If a team is commited,you can still receive points just not as many as a qualifier.

Jchap8750

Postby Jchap8750 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:42 pm

Not sure I understand what you're saying

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:10 am

If any tournament is not said to be a wvywa qualifier, a wrestler will not be able to earn points for a seeding in their regional tournament.

Also, from what I understand they can not make an odd year tournament a qualifier because it does not meet the rules to be a qualifier.

Beast

Postby Beast » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:19 am

Travis Phillips or some that can speak for the board,

Can you give us some clarity on this "Wreck the Halls" tourney? Can you make base weight when they dont have the weight class that day?
How are points going to be scored? Can this even be considered a WVYWA qualifier since they are not using identical weights & ages?

The deadline to enter is Friday.

Thanks,

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:29 pm

The Iron Eagles are a member team of the WVYWA. Their “Wreck the Halls” tournament is a base weight tournament to allow wrestlers who attend the opportunity to make their base weight for the regional tournament. Anthony Regalbuto is the Region 3 Chairman and will provide a scale for any youth wrestler wanting to make their base weight and meet their minimum weight requirement. Anthony will record the weight and send the WVYWA for our records. No points will be awarded as the odd year ages and honor systems do not meet the requirements for points.

Also we would like to clarify how to qualify this year for the WVYWA State Tournament.

For age groups: 6u, 8U, 10U, & 12U:
1. A WV youth wrestler 12U and under must attend 1 WVYWA qualifying tournament and establish their lowest weight class they would like to wrestle at their regional tournament. A wrestler can wrestler in any qualifying tournament throughout the state to meet this minimum requirement.
2. The youth wrester then must attend their Regional Championship based on the county they live in and place in the top 4 of their weight class to advance. Their placement in the regional championship will determine their seed for the WVYWA State Championship.

Middle School Division:
3. A wrestler in the middle school division does not have to attend a qualifying tournament. They must attend their regional championship only and place in the top 4 to advance. Reason for this is several middle school wrestlers are restricted from participating in any open tournament during their season, limiting their opportunities to have the time needed to attend a qualifying tournament.

If you would like any additional answers to questions please email your chairmen or the board directly:
President Martin Best Parkersburg Cougars martin.l.best@wv.gov
Vice President Travis Phillips Mahindra Wvtravis23@yahoo.com
Treasurer/Sec Buddy Turner Preston Mat Club weturner@wvlawyers.com

Regional chairman or assistant chairman:
Region 1 Region 2 Region 3 Region 4 Region 5 Region 6
Thank you.

tsb1967

Postby tsb1967 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:35 pm

What about 11 and 12 year old middle school wrestlers? Are 12U wrestlers in middle school exempted from the qualifiers able to wrestle in the 12u youth divisions?

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:31 am

What about 11 and 12 year old middle school wrestlers? Are 12U wrestlers in middle school exempted from the qualifiers able to wrestle in the 12u youth divisions?

If a wrestler is 12U and in middle school, that wrestler has a choice. They can either wrestle the middle school division or the 12U division. If they choose the 12U division, that wrestler must compete in one of the qualifiers to establish his base weight.
In the event your wrestler is precluded from competing in any of the events because of conflict with school team or some other reason. This rule may be applicable. It is the Regional Chair person's discretion as to the application of this rule.
Rule IV.a.1.p
In the event that any wrestler has not been able to establish his base
weight due to unforeseen circumstances not already covered by these
Rules, in order for the wrestler to participate in the Region Tournament,
the wrestler must petition the Region Chairman for a weigh-in to
establish his base weight at least one week prior to the first Region
Tournament.

Return to “Youth Wrestling”