Heaviest weights in WVYWA

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Beast

Heaviest weights in WVYWA

Postby Beast » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:32 pm

I have a wrestler that is currently exceeding the max wight that is allowed for his age. I have been told that it was because the WVYWA wants larger weight classes (24 participants per bracket at states). Why is he being punished because there is potentially a lower number of kids in his weight class? I guess you dont earn a championship unless their is a gaunlet to go though. So if a region cant send 4 kids because of low participation, I assume, that the entire weight class will be cancelled...probably not.

Last year, there were 7 entries in 5&6 HWT, 8 entries in 7&8 HWT, 11 entries in 11&12 HWT, & 12 entries in 13-15 HWT (Now 9&10 was very small with 4 entries). Pretty full brackets when most divisions averaged 12-16 entries. Remember, if we have regionals, made the amount could increase to fill it to 24. The lightest weight classes had 11 entries in 5&6 (38 lbs.), 12 entries in 7&8 (44 lbs.), 16 entries in 9&10 (54 lbs.), 12 entries in 11&12 (65 lbs.), & 11 entries in 13-15 (80 lbs.). So roughly the HWTs have slightly less participants by 2 or 3 on average, but none of the lighter weight classes were cut!!! I guess that would be unfair for the lighter weight kids.

This organization was based largely on OH and PA existing systems. The OHWAY max weight for 6 yr. olds is 90 lbs. & WV's is 75 lbs. Why was this particular weight choosen? Was it choosen arbitarily?

Rule IV.A.1.d on Pg. 26 states that a wrestler "must compete in his age division". So if you have a wrestler who is a stud and wants to compete in an older division, sorry, that opportunity is not an option...unless you are a heavier weight and you are forced to compete against older kids. That sounds fair.

The thought one of the purposes of this organization was to encourage kids to participate and increase the numbers coming out for wrestling. How is that being done when there is no weight class to participate in? It is a discouragement to my wrestler who could compete for a state title if given the opportunity to complete against kids his age, but will be lucky to place against older, more mature kids.

I cant be the only one with a wrestler caught in this situation. Can someone from the organization address this?

Thanks,

justawrestlingfan

Re: Heaviest weights in WVYWA

Postby justawrestlingfan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:21 pm

Eye of the Tiger tourney has 5 & 6yo at max 75, 7 & 8yo at max 120, 9 & 10yo max 160.
Barbour county open has the same weights except 9 & 10yo are max 150.
Monarchs Youth tourney has the same weight limits.
Clarksburg Panther Classic has the same weight limits.

Looks to me like WVYWA matched their weight limits to what everyone else in the state is doing. Do you have a problem with every other tournament placing those weight limits on heavyweights as well or just the WVYWA?

As for limiting kids from competing in higher age/weight classes...that is an open tournament strategy to get more money from you. Even the WVSSAC limits middle and high school wrestlers to 5 matches per day. Personally I can't imagine taking a little kid someplace and expecting him to wrestle 8 or 10 matches in a day.

Beast

Re: Heaviest weights in WVYWA

Postby Beast » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:25 pm

I have taken him to three tourneys (all WVYWA qualifiers) and he has been able to wrestle in the 75 lbs class at nearly 80 lbs, but he will not be able to do this at regionals. He has to make base weight at least once before regions, which he may not be able to get to. After making base weight, he would get a growth allowance at certain times during the season.

I dont know why the WVYWA set their weights at what they did. The "old" states had no limilt in the heavier weights, so he could compete in his age division. My problem is that the STATE tournament that determines who is the champ for the year is limiting him to compete against kids possibly 2 years older than him. My opinion, I dont think that is fair. Any open tournament can be ran any way it chooses & I can enter him if I want, even if they odd or unusual rules. I am not saying that every tourney has to be the same, but the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP should be the same setup for everybody.

You call it a money grab, I call it an opportunity for my wrestlers to get better & push themselves. Kids compete in multiple age divisions at nearly every tourney I go to. The best wrestlers have to to get tough competition, but they have to wrestle the younger division to get points for states. Points in the older division dont count in the younger division & vise versa. Most of these kids breeze through the younger divison matches and then have to wrestle tough matches in the older division. So, typically, they will 3-4 shorter, easier matches against kids their age and then 3-4 tougher, harder matches agiagst older kids. Sometimes, they are dog tired by the end but they were able to work against good competion in upper age division and improve. This gets them ready to win a state title. Most of these kids will win their age division handly and at least place top 3 in older division. It is not for everybody, but It is good for those kids really excel.

Remember, these matches are only 3 min. long & most never go all three rounds. I can see where a highschooler going 5 matches at 6 min. each against some other highshool studs would be a reasonable limit.

Return to “Youth Wrestling”