WVYWA Regionals

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
coastietrooper

Re: WVYWA Regionals

Postby coastietrooper » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:57 pm

If this new group wants the trust and acceptance from everyone, they need to step it up. I've contacted them several times now on the updated scores for wrestlers not being correct or even updated. How do my wrestlers get a fair shake in the regional seeding when they don't even have it right on the site? Who else can I contact to make it right? If they say they are going to do something, then they need to be doing it.

ebpioneer96

Postby ebpioneer96 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:23 pm

I was told they are having issues with the web page. They enter the results, but it will not update them on the page. Im sure they will have the correct points when it comes time for regionals.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:23 pm

ebpioneer96 wrote:I was told they are having issues with the web page. They enter the results, but it will not update them on the page. Im sure they will have the correct points when it comes time for regionals.

I have not heard that from them, but on several occasions I have tried to get on the site and it was down, so that makes sense.

ctmspanther

Postby ctmspanther » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:58 pm

I tried to follow what the new setup would be like.

Is this correct - if you wanted to and the dates weren't a conflict you could attend a bunch of events to rack up points for a better seed? Example you finish 4th at the regional but since you attended events associated with this setup you could possibly move up in the final seeding?

My middle school program hasn't finished yet there are several that would consider it but they felt they would be behind.

Wrestlingprodigy40

Postby Wrestlingprodigy40 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:41 pm

I am a little confused on what you are asking. If you place forth at regionals. Then you will be against a kid that places first at a region depending on the pill draw. Now if I am correct the seeds will go by points for the regions, but then can argue head to head and other things to help a better seed for it. The points just help make it a little easier.

WrestlingMom2009

Postby WrestlingMom2009 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:30 am

WVYWA.COM UPDATED SOME CLARIFYING ON THE SEEDING.....

This qualifying system will give every youth wrestler in West Virginia the opportunity to qualify for the State Championship at a location relatively close to their home clubs, maximize participation by West Virginia youth wrestlers and maximize the competition at the State Championship. It is the hope of the WVYWA Board of Directors that all youth wrestlers compete in their Region for the opportunity to advance to the State Championship.

For the State Championship, the six (6) Region Champions will be seeded by the West Virginia Youth Wrestling Association Board of Directors based upon head to head matches, overall record, points, and achievements. The remaining qualifying wrestlers will be auto-propagated with a computer program so that wrestlers from the same Region will generally not wrestle each other in the first two rounds.

Middle school wrestlers do not need to wrestle in a West Virginia Youth Wrestling Association Qualifying Tournament to establish base weight due to the majority of these wrestlers having participated in WVSSAC competition during the year. As such, wrestlers competing in the Middle School division need only return their respective entry form in the manner provided prior to the deadline and make weight to wrestle in the Region tournaments.

If anyone has any questions regarding the Region Tournaments, qualifying, base weights, or the 2016 West Virginia Youth Wrestling Association State Championship, please contact your respective Region Chair, Assistant Region Chair, or one of the officers of the WVYWA.

FORMS ARE POSTED FOR THE REGIONAL TOURNAMENTS WITH CONTACT INFORMATION FOR YOUR REGIONAL CHAIRMAN....

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:54 am

WOW!!!! A 5 man round robin at the Parkersburg open. You are expecting a lot this year at that tournament.

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:05 am

With there being alot of questions concerning seeding for the state tournament:

Points no longer matter after regions.

Regional champions and regional champions only will be seeded based off of head to head, common opponents, significant wins/ achievements, records, etc... That orders the top 6.

Once the 6 region champions have been ordered, the remaining place winners are auto placed with one person from each region in each quarter of the bracket. Following same logic.

For those of you doing the math, 24 wrestlers in a 32 man bracket gives each regional champion a bye and two others. If region 5 champion was seeded first, and region 3 second, then the runner up from 5 and 3 would receive the other 2 byes.

This is similar to the pill in placement but educated separation of regional champions determines the order instead of blind luck. This in theory will separate top 2 regional champions and ensures runner ups from each region are on opposite side of their regional champion counter part. So if two best are from same region, they can make finals, if two best are regional champions and seeded correctly they can make finals.

Anyone wanting a copy of the spreadsheet with formulas to visualize or play with, send me a PM with email address. Nothing magical but seeing is easier than explaining.

As long as all regions are completed by 6 March as planned, I will have brackets built and distributed one week out. A teleconference seeding meeting will be held to verify the region champions order.

Hope this is all clear as mud now!

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:39 pm

I sent you a private message requesting a copy of your spreadsheet. Please email it to me at brentsams@yahoo.com.

Thanks - Brent

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:44 pm

From the editor

This question came in my email

If your son wrestled middle school. Does he have to wrestle in a qualifying tournament to wrestle in the regional to qualify for Jr. States.
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:16 pm

admin wrote:From the editor

This question came in my email

If your son wrestled middle school. Does he have to wrestle in a qualifying tournament to wrestle in the regional to qualify for Jr. States.

I spoke to Travis Phillips about this because I was unsure myself and he clarified it for me. A middle school wrestler does not have to wrestle in qualifier tournaments because those are generally happening before the middle school season ends and could interfere with their regular season wrestling. All a middle school wrestler must do to wrestle at WVYWA on March 19/20 is attend their regional meet and place in the top 4 in their weight class.

Directly quoted from the WVYWA front page:

Middle school wrestlers do not need to wrestle in a West Virginia Youth Wrestling Association Qualifying Tournament to establish base weight due to the majority of these wrestlers having participated in WVSSAC competition during the year.

James

Postby James » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:16 am

The rules state base weight has to made one before the first region tourney, that would be February 14th as the last day to make base weight. Last night I was told the deadline is February 28th, can anyone clarify or confirm.

ebpioneer96

Postby ebpioneer96 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:28 am

jakesdad wrote:
ddrennen wrote:If your 100% sure that's fine. My understanding was that anyone could show up to their respective regional and wrestle, just would not have the weight allowance or seeding points.

Also I do not know of any other base weight tournaments, I believe that only tournaments marked as WVYWA qualifiers count towards base weight.

Yep, you must compete in a tournament at least one week prior to your regional before you are eligible

James,

This is what was posted earlier about making base weight

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:48 am

James wrote:The rules state base weight has to made one before the first region tourney, that would be February 14th as the last day to make base weight. Last night I was told the deadline is February 28th, can anyone clarify or confirm.

It may be there somewhere, but I don't see any specific date. What I do see is it says the wrestler must make base weight at a WVYWA Qualifying Tournament in order to wrestle the Regional. All regionals are on March 5th or 6th (except region 6 which is on Feb 21st), so to me that means as long as your wrestler makes base weight at a qualifier before the regional tournament then you are good.

From the front page of WVYWA:

To qualify to wrestle in your Region Tournament, you must weigh in at a West Virginia Youth Wrestling Association Qualifying Tournament during the youth season. This establishes each wrestler’s lowest weight that they can enter for the respective Region Tournament. Then, the Region entry form must be returned in the manner provided and before the deadline.

James

Postby James » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:51 am

A wrestler must compete in one WVYWA Qualifying Tournaments to establish his/her base weight. Each wrestler must establish his base weight at a WVYWA Qualifying Tournament at least one week prior to the first Region Tournament each year to be eligible to participate in the Region Tournament and qualify for the WVYWA Championship. Wrestlers may enter either their established base weight or a weight class above their established base weight class at the Region Tournament. A wrestler does not need to establish his base weight at a WVYWA Qualifying Tournament in his Region. This can be done at any WVYWA Qualifying Tournament.

from the rules on the wvywa page

wrestler152215

Postby wrestler152215 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:11 pm

Will there be a list posted of all wrestlers eligible to wrestle at regionals and the weight class they are eligible for?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:14 am

From the Editor:

Here is another question which came in my email:

I have a son in X County who would like to register for regionals, but has scheduled to take the SAT on 3/5 – does he have to go to regionals for X County, or can he go to regionals in Y County on 3/6? Also, he has only wrestled in the tournaments for his school – does he have to qualify for regionals?
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:42 am

admin wrote:From the Editor:

Here is another question which came in my email:

I have a son in X County who would like to register for regionals, but has scheduled to take the SAT on 3/5 – does he have to go to regionals for X County, or can he go to regionals in Y County on 3/6? Also, he has only wrestled in the tournaments for his school – does he have to qualify for regionals?

Good question. It is extremely rare for anyone younger than high school to take the SAT, so it is hard to plan for a contingency like this.

With that said, I doubt they would let a kid compete out of their region. Once you start letting it happen for one thing then you have everyone wanting an exception made for them too. Not to mention, if this kid goes to the other county and knocks someone else's kid out of competition then that creates another conflict.

I should also add that anyone scheduled to test on March 5 can make changes to their registration up until Feb 23, so unless they are under some particular deadline and need to take the SAT on March 5 it can rescheduled to the May 7 or June 4 test dates.

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:18 am

Are out of state wrestlers eligible to compete? I understand that sometimes we have joint custody situations but what about when both parents live in Ohio but choose to educate their child in WV? Does it matter if it is a public or private school? If public, does it matter if they're paying tuition to the public school board? Situation 1: Wrestler lives in Ohio but attends private school in WV, can he compete at your tournament? Situation 2: Wrestler lives in Ohio but attends public school in WV, can he compete at your tournament? When is the proper time for these issues to be brought to the attention of the regional director? Sorry and thanks for the information.

Each wrestler must compete in his/her Region of residence. The initial criteria is the home address of the wrestler. Secondary consideration will be given to the School the wrestler attends. The WVYWA understands that there may be extenuating circumstances such as split families or a change of residency (bona fide move) during the season. If extenuating circumstances merit, a wrestler may compete in another Region if both Region Chairmans agree, and complete the WVYWA

wrestler152215

Postby wrestler152215 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:54 pm

are the Area 6 tournament results going to be posted from this past weekend?

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:17 pm

After the other 5 regions conclude with their tournaments we will be posting the qualifiers for each weight class.

fan234

Postby fan234 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:06 pm

I heard the Parkersburg Cougars qualified everyone from their team. Have they been that dominant this year or is the quality of this tournament watered down?

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:29 pm

The numbers for both are gonna be poor. I've already heard middle school numbers are so low they'll accept whoever wants to come. That is per a text message forwarded to me today trying to get wrestlers. My sons jr states bracket has 9 kids. I'll bet WVYWA isn't any better. I'm seriously considering skipping both.

Campion

Postby Campion » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:24 am

I think this may be the lowest point of WV youth wrestling. Sad...

MountaineerWC

Postby MountaineerWC » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:09 am

Reminder that is the coaches job to inform the wrestlers about the tournaments both youth and middle school. I think the WVYWA is doing a good job in their first year.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:00 am

wvnorth wrote:The numbers for both are gonna be poor. I've already heard middle school numbers are so low they'll accept whoever wants to come. That is per a text message forwarded to me today trying to get wrestlers. My sons jr states bracket has 9 kids. I'll bet WVYWA isn't any better. I'm seriously considering skipping both.

First, you are getting some bad info. The number of youth wrestlers eligible to compete at regionals is huge.

Also, at regionals anyone CAN come. That is how qualifiers work. Anyone can compete, but only the top for in each weight class can go to the championships. So it isn't that they are willing to "accept whoever wants to come" because they are desperate...that is how qualifiers are supposed to work.

In addition, I have spoken to numerous middle school coaches who tell me that a many of their wrestlers are going. I know that all of Western Greenbrier MS will be at their regional with the possible exception of one wrestler, which means 4 or 5 WSAZ placers will be there. We had 4 wrestlers place at our regionals and all of them are going. From what I can tell, placing top for at some of these regionals will not be a cake walk. The championships at Huntington should be good wrestling from start to finish for both youth and middle school.

mscoach51

Postby mscoach51 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:13 pm

There are at least two Wesern Greenbrier wrestlers registered at Jr States. One is registered as ind.

justwrestle

Postby justwrestle » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:11 am

I personally spoke to a Western Greenbrier coach whom needed the regional chairmans info. To enter some wrestlers in the WVYWA. Hopefully he git in contact with him in time.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:11 pm

justwrestle wrote:I personally spoke to a Western Greenbrier coach whom needed the regional chairmans info. To enter some wrestlers in the WVYWA. Hopefully he git in contact with him in time.

I spoke to him as well. Said the same to me. He said he expects the entire team to be there with exception of maybe one wrestler who was undecided one whether he should attend Jr States or the regional qualifier, based on where the better wrestling would be. My guess is that now that he sees he will only get 2 matches at Jr States he may be considering the regional instead, but that is just a guess.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:21 pm

I thought I read somewhere that it was a rule that a wrestler must make base weight at least a week before the regional? Maybe that is wrong. But if accurate, if they have not yet participated in any of the events this season, wouldn't they be precluded from participating in the regional...according to the rule?

Return to “Youth Wrestling”