WVYWA Regionals

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
wrestler152215

Re: WVYWA Regionals

Postby wrestler152215 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:23 pm

guard0544 they discussed this issue on page three of this post

Sparsons26105

Postby Sparsons26105 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:59 am

"Coach Wiliams" - You want to get on here and constantly degrade the Jr. States, the WVSSAC and any other group/individual that does not agree with you. Why are you not boasting about the huge numbers that attended the region tournament this two weekends ago in Jackson County? You have pointed out the number of entries for the junior states but why have you not bragged about the 85 - 90 kids that showed up for the regional qualifier? That equals to about 2 or 3 per weight class. And then, several "place winners" are not attending the state tournament. Why are you not bragging about another region having very little numbers as well? I would love for the folks to see the results for themselves, but they have not yet been posted. One of the big selling points for this new organization was that results will have to be accurate and posted in a timely manner. I have yet to see these results. I know that someone may quickly say that the results for one region should not be posted due to kids dodging other kids. However, nobody really knows how these kids are going to be paired, so all of that is a total mystery anyway. You know what they say about folks that live in glass houses!
The first region was a complete flop and yes, the Jr States numbers are down. Is that a surprise to anyone? BOTH tournament are not going to be legit, lets just agree to that. This new group that wanted to make WV wrestling legit and contend with PA, OH and others just watered down the already smaller competition state.
As for your WVSSAC rants on another thread, if you would take time to know what actually goes on you may not be so quick to complain. The WVSSAC has brought no less than 2, but I believe it may be 3 proposals to allow year round coaching. Your WV department of education has voted them down, NOT the WVSSAC. If I read it correctly, the wvssac board presented one method and the Martinsburg high school principal presented another proposal.
I am not sure where you "coach" at and I applaud coaches that take active stances on their sport - weather it be soccer, football or wrestling but you seem to simply get on here and bash others when you do not have full information.

southpaw

Postby southpaw » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:24 am

The numbers in region 6 were extremely low. Kind of embarrassing for the NEW states right out the gates but want to see more embarrassing? Compare the top 4 placers in the region 6 qualifier to the 2nd annual mountain state " NOVICE :shock: " championships in Ripley.(which was extremely well ran tournament might I add). You'll see that many of region qualifiers struggled. Unfortunately, it's sad. The kids just want to wrestle and 95% of them have no clue what is going on. Did the OLD states need an upgrade? Probably! Was creating a NEW state the answer? Probably not! What is the new states suppose to fix?
1.There is a point system that is inaccurate and not being used anyway. People complaining about their kid not having the right points at almost every qualifier you go to. Due to spelling error or something else. They've also asked " Whats the point system for anyway? They mean nothing bc you can wrestle in the regional with no points.
2. Weight classes are always getting combined due to low numbers in WV so this messes with the points (we aren't PA and OH, lets act more like WV and get it right here)
3. We were told that there is "0" weight allowance at WVYWA qualifiers but yet there were 2 different qualifiers on the same day and one gave a lb. (seems consistent)

The truth is we as adults should quit thinking about personal recognition and money. We need to quit arguing over what is going to be better and get a format that works for our state WEST VIRGINIA...Not something that work in PA or OH. A good start would be a better way to track what every wrestler does with in the state for a legit seeding in either tournament. Something needs done long before the NEW/OLD STATE create a bigger cluster then we already have.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:04 pm

Sparsons26105 wrote:"Coach Wiliams" - You want to get on here and constantly degrade the Jr. States, the WVSSAC and any other group/individual that does not agree with you. Why are you not boasting about the huge numbers that attended the region tournament this two weekends ago in Jackson County? You have pointed out the number of entries for the junior states but why have you not bragged about the 85 - 90 kids that showed up for the regional qualifier? That equals to about 2 or 3 per weight class. And then, several "place winners" are not attending the state tournament. Why are you not bragging about another region having very little numbers as well? I would love for the folks to see the results for themselves, but they have not yet been posted. One of the big selling points for this new organization was that results will have to be accurate and posted in a timely manner. I have yet to see these results. I know that someone may quickly say that the results for one region should not be posted due to kids dodging other kids. However, nobody really knows how these kids are going to be paired, so all of that is a total mystery anyway. You know what they say about folks that live in glass houses!
The first region was a complete flop and yes, the Jr States numbers are down. Is that a surprise to anyone? BOTH tournament are not going to be legit, lets just agree to that. This new group that wanted to make WV wrestling legit and contend with PA, OH and others just watered down the already smaller competition state.
As for your WVSSAC rants on another thread, if you would take time to know what actually goes on you may not be so quick to complain. The WVSSAC has brought no less than 2, but I believe it may be 3 proposals to allow year round coaching. Your WV department of education has voted them down, NOT the WVSSAC. If I read it correctly, the wvssac board presented one method and the Martinsburg high school principal presented another proposal.
I am not sure where you "coach" at and I applaud coaches that take active stances on their sport - weather it be soccer, football or wrestling but you seem to simply get on here and bash others when you do not have full information.

No idea what you are talking about. I have not degraded Jr States one time. Show me where I have.

Regarding the WVSSAC, that wasn't a rant either. It was expressing displeasure at the year round coaching rule. I am allowed to do that, just as everyone else who voiced their displeasure with it was allowed to do. Why do you only take issue with me not liking it?

Third, I have bashed no one. That is an outright lie. Why you have chosen to target me with your rant for expressing the exact same unhappiness with things that others have expressed is only slightly baffling. None the less, last I checked this is still a free country with the right to express your own thoughts and opinions and since I have not done anything to violate any board rules, I see no reason why I should stop expressing my thoughts just because sparsons thinks I should.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 pm

When is the middle school done qualifying? I'm a bit confused as to how it's going to be done.i thought each middle school league championship was the qualifier. Ours in region 1 ( northern panhandle) was the OVC and it was a month ago or so.The region one chair sent a text to our coach that was forwarded to me saying "I just wanted to let you know our regionals for the WVYWA states or next weekend (February 27-28)and if any wrestlers want to qualify for states I need their forms in ASAP especially middle school kids, we are low on numbers for middle school and all will most likely qualify." If only the top four finishers qualify and a good percentage are Ohio wrestlers I'm puzzled how most will qualify. If, hypothetically speaking, in the 98 pound weight class the top four finishers were from Ohio then there are no qualifiers for the WVYWA championship right? The WVYWA website is just a bunch of empty buttons so I would really like to know how many kids are in each bracket in middle school.

mscoach6

Postby mscoach6 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:13 pm

I love this website it makes me laugh everyday I log on. Wvnorth, so in the OVAC there was no WV kids in the 98 pd. class? These questions people are posting today have been answered many times over. But, for the record here we go again. Any middle school kid that wants to participate in regionals only has to fill out his entry form and attend his home regional. Pretty simple really don't see what the confusion is. And not sure why you would be talking about Ohio kids when we all know this is the WV state tournament.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:54 pm

mscoach6 wrote:I love this website it makes me laugh everyday I log on. Wvnorth, so in the OVAC there was no WV kids in the 98 pd. class? These questions people are posting today have been answered many times over. But, for the record here we go again. Any middle school kid that wants to participate in regionals only has to fill out his entry form and attend his home regional. Pretty simple really don't see what the confusion is. And not sure why you would be talking about Ohio kids when we all know this is the WV state tournament.

Mscoach6. Before you jump to be sarcastic or attempt to be clever you should read the post a few times and try to understand it. Regarding the 98 pound weight class I said hypothetically speaking( that means as example not a real situation) ok? I was made to understand in MIDDLE SCHOOL (I'm guessing that's what ms coach stands for) each regions league championship serves as the MIDDLE SCHOOL QUALIFIER AND THE TOP 4 IN EACH WEIGHT QUALIFY FOR THE WVYWA CHAMPIONSHIP. No more wrestling beyond each regions league championship is required to qualify. Since our league championship includes ohio teams it is very often that ohio kids place in the top 4. If all 4 kids in any said weight bracket make up the top 4 and they are Ohio kids does that mean zero West Virginia kids qualify in that weight for that region? I'm sure you aren't following me so here let's try another way. If you are 98 lbs and place 5th in your league championship do you qualify for WVYWA STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS? Or...do you fill out a form and get accepted regardless of your placement because you don't have any middle school wrestlers? It's not a difficult question.

Blueandwhite

Postby Blueandwhite » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:05 pm

Middle School kids qualify for regionals when they wrestle in their Middle School championships. All kids that have wrestled in their Middle School championships are qualified to go to regionals. Once they wrestle in their area for regionals then the top 4 from each region will go to the states. You do not have to be in the top 4 to go to regionals just qualified at a qualifier or Middle School championship. Hope that clears it up for you.

mscoach6

Postby mscoach6 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:16 pm

:(
Last edited by mscoach6 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mscoach105

Postby mscoach105 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:01 am

mscoach6 wrote:I love this website it makes me laugh everyday I log on. Wvnorth, so in the OVAC there was no WV kids in the 98 pd. class? These questions people are posting today have been answered many times over. But, for the record here we go again. Any middle school kid that wants to participate in regionals only has to fill out his entry form and attend his home regional. Pretty simple really don't see what the confusion is. And not sure why you would be talking about Ohio kids when we all know this is the WV state tournament.

mscoach6, you are correct. All the middle school wrestler has to do is send in their regional form, attend their regional, place top 4 in their class that will determine their seed for states and then attend states.

I personally like where this is going. It is teaching our middle schoolers a similar process they will have to go through for high school states.

mscoach6

Postby mscoach6 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:08 am

Agreed, this is a good thing for wv youth and middle school wrestling.

RickDunbar

Postby RickDunbar » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:12 am

Coach Williams.

Below is YOUR post from Jan. 4. Due to the inaccuracies that are contained within that post and your recent post saying that you have never disparaged the Jr State Tournament, your credibility is looking a little shaky.

I have also seen you post what I believe is inaccurate information about the other state tournament.

Post by coach_williams » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:32 pm

I don't understand all of the hubbub. Jr States is just an open tournament called Jr States. It is not a true state championship. Anyone can pay to get in even if they are from out of state and because of the age structure of the classes it is possible for a middle school 6th grade student to wrestle in a bracket with all elementary 4th and 5th grade students and for a high school 9th grader to wrestle in a bracket with all middle school 7th and 8th graders.

Basically you have two choices:

A. An open tournament with no sanctioning, no qualifying requirements, no residency requirements, allows wrestlers to enter at any weight as long as they meet that weight on the date of the tournament, a questionable age structure of classes, and I am guessing no actual seeding, that calls itself the Jr State Championsips.

B. A tournament that is sanctioned by a governing body with publicly posted rules and guidelines, requires qualifying, requires the wrestlers be a resident of the state of West Virginia, uses seeding/qualifying points, restricts age classes, and requires making base weight at least once to compete at that weight.

Doesn't strike me as that difficult of a decision to make.

eastontilt

Postby eastontilt » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:57 am

Ahhh.. Rick, very good example :). I am just going to throw my 2 cents in for what's its worth. I think in all of this crap that's going on NO ONE has stopped to even think about the kids. At the center of this whole debacle is ego's and greed. In one short year, youth wrestling in WV has been ruined for the kids!! How can you all not see that ??!! First of all, I find it very odd that only Region VI is able to do both "state" tournaments. Could this be because Best and Donahue are on the new WVYWA board (hmmmmmm :roll: ). I will be curious to see if Region VI will also be able to do both next year (seeing as how John Martin and Garrett will not be in Middle School). In addition, I am from PA and the big push is to be more like PA and other state's. Uhhhh... hello, neither the new or old system is anything like the system in PA (there are simply not enough kiddos to run a youth state tournament the way it is done in PA). For the life of me, I can not understand why both sides could not have come together and worked out a solution that was BEST FOR THE KIDS. After all, is that not what youth wrestling is for, the kids. Plus, if you are basing your child's wrestling ability on how he competes at one small state tournament, then you are all in for a big shock down the road. If you truly want to know how your child measures up, take them to tournaments in other states (Esp PA and Ohio). Heck, for many ppl that is not a far drive. In the end, I am disgusted with the adults in charge and how they have royally screwed up our youth wrestling!

coastietrooper

Postby coastietrooper » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:06 am

I can see issues from both sides here. I do like a few things about the new system. Kids should have to qualify for states instead of just having to sign up, pay and go. That doesn't teach them that they have to earn their way in the future should they continue to wrestle through high school. I also don't feel that it's right for one area or group to benefit financially from a state tournament. Yes, wrestling should be about the kids, but it also takes money to run these leagues, teams and tournaments... so there's that issue.

I don't think it's fair that one region's kids are going to be allowed or able to participate in both state tournaments when the rest of the region's kids can't, due to when the regionals are being held. It would be nice if the state tournament could be moved around the state each year and held in different venues and regions of the state. Those involved with the old tournament can't just continue to say "that's just the way it's always been" and expect it to be the right or the fair way.

I'm still not sold on the new web site and record keeping of wrestler's accumulated points etc... There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding, misspelled names and points not accounted for. I realize this may not all be the fault of those running the new site... I know those hosting the qualifying tournaments are required to submit results in a required time frame and that may not be happening either. So who knows or who can be comfortable that their wrestlers are going to be seeded correctly in the regional?

It's true, for those who don't know or venture outside the state to give your wrestler more of a challenge... wrestling in OH and PA is a different beast completely. I think we are on the right track in requiring kids to qualify for the state tournament, but we are never going to have the number of wrestlers that some other states have. I'm not suggesting a "we are the world moment" here, but if both sides don't soon come together on this, the kids and the wrestling in WV will suffer. There are a lot of good ideas floating around. They now just need to be put all together with everyone's input and cooperation. Anyway, that's just my non-expert opinion.

eastontilt

Postby eastontilt » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:46 am

I agree with you 100% well said.

RickDunbar

Postby RickDunbar » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:51 pm

You both make good points and it is currently a sad state of affairs.

I have no control over anything but for how the Jr States is ran. I took over from a long list of other coaches who devoted their time and efforts into starting a wrestling tournament to encourage the best wrestlers in wv to come and see where they stood with the rest. Through a lot of hard work and years of accommodating many factions, we made The Jr. States a great tournament.

When I learned that the new organization was scheduling their Regional Qualifiers on top of our date, I contacted Travis Philips and asked if we could meet. The next week (in late December), I met with Buddy Roberts (Vienna), Travis Phillips and Martin Best to try to work something out where kids could attend both. We offered to support their efforts (with wrestlers, clocks, mats, etc.) if they would only change their Regional Qualifiers. Travis and Martin said they had no control over their Regional Chairpersons but would contact them and try to persuade them and would let me know. I never received a call back from Travis or Martin and the next thing I know their Regional forms were posted. SO I WOULD SUGGEST TO YOU THAT WOOD COUNTY TRIED TO WORK THIS OUT WITH THE NEW ORGANIZATION AND THEY WERE UNCOOPERATIVE. Other people have also tried to persuade the Regional Chairs to change the date of the Regional Qualifiers and they have been met with nothing but rude responses.

2takedown

Postby 2takedown » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:23 pm

I had to stop and laugh when I read this. The greed and ego is not the WVYWA. There are so many aquisitions toward Martin Best, Travis Phillips and Buddy Turner who make up the board that is outlandish. It amazes me people do not try to learn the association's true intent but make up their own. People pick up the phone and call them with an open mind. In order to move foward it takes change. A change that one side is not willing to make and agian its not WVYWA. They will admit they do not have it perfected but they are willing to do their best with the help of everyone from across WV. I spoke to one of them recently and he said, (hope I got it correct) "we have learned a lot this year from our mistakes but we will continue to advance until we find the appropriate make-up for WV. Also the state tournament will be about the kids. If we make money, great. If not, it will be a great event for the kids."

Wow, where is the greed there people? They are not taking an open tournament at a high school gym with 400 kids and making it 2 days for money! They are making an investment into the youth state championships that someone should have done years ago.

I see no ego with these gentlman either, just people who are working to improve West Virginia youth wrestling and make it about the kids. May I add, I do know one side took the initiative and asked the other to be involved in creating a STATE organization. One side full of pride declined. The side full of pride only wanted to cooperate well after they realized there was a schedule conflict and they were going to lose numbers which equalled dollars. Now, who is full of ego and greed?

baxter841

Postby baxter841 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:45 pm

Was the date deliberately placed on the 1st weekend of march? Is it fair to say everyone involved in youth wrestling knows that has been the date Jr States has been held for years.

Its been public knowledge that tons of kids want to attend both - but cant ( while others can) while 1 region gets to ( no way, no how is that fair)

Could neither organization make the adjustments to fix it?

Its adults holding a pissing contest,

and the wrestlers are the ones suffering because of it.

once again, good luck to both organizations ( its like trump versus hillary )

RickDunbar

Postby RickDunbar » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:46 pm

I don't recall saying anything about greed or ego. Our offered compromise was not made for the purpose of money. It was made because people were asking for it and we are concerned about WV wrestling and the validity of both Tournaments. There was absolutely no reason to schedule on our date except to hurt our Tournament.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:49 pm

RickDunbar wrote:Coach Williams.

Below is YOUR post from Jan. 4. Due to the inaccuracies that are contained within that post and your recent post saying that you have never disparaged the Jr State Tournament, your credibility is looking a little shaky.

I have also seen you post what I believe is inaccurate information about the other state tournament.

Post by coach_williams » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:32 pm

I don't understand all of the hubbub. Jr States is just an open tournament called Jr States. It is not a true state championship. Anyone can pay to get in even if they are from out of state and because of the age structure of the classes it is possible for a middle school 6th grade student to wrestle in a bracket with all elementary 4th and 5th grade students and for a high school 9th grader to wrestle in a bracket with all middle school 7th and 8th graders.

Basically you have two choices:

A. An open tournament with no sanctioning, no qualifying requirements, no residency requirements, allows wrestlers to enter at any weight as long as they meet that weight on the date of the tournament, a questionable age structure of classes, and I am guessing no actual seeding, that calls itself the Jr State Championsips.

B. A tournament that is sanctioned by a governing body with publicly posted rules and guidelines, requires qualifying, requires the wrestlers be a resident of the state of West Virginia, uses seeding/qualifying points, restricts age classes, and requires making base weight at least once to compete at that weight.

Doesn't strike me as that difficult of a decision to make.

I can't find that thread to link to it, but I believe that if you look at my posts later in that thread you will see that I admit I was wrong about the age structure. If you consider making a mistake and then admitting it was a mistake and retracting it to be "disparaging" then so be it.

Regarding my other comments, I stand by them and there is nothing disparaging about them.

1. I said Jr States is just an open tournament that is called Jr States. This is a fact. The only true state wrestling championship in West Virginia is the high school state championships. I can create an open tournament and call it "The Walt Disney World Championships of Only Great Wrestlers", but it doesn't make it sponsored by Walt Disney, a world championship nor does it make the wrestlers in it the greatest.

For that measure, I see people referring to WVYWA as "the other state championships" which is also wrong. It is the WVYWA Championships. It is not a state or junior state championship.

2. Jr States IS an open tournament, DOES NOT have qualifying requirements, DOES allow wrestlers to enter at any weight as long as they can make that weight and DOES NOT use seeding like will be used at the WVYWA championships since you don't have qualifiers and use submitted records (and I assume WSAZ finishing spots) to seed. These things are all true. None of them are disparaging.

Instead of attacking me for being honest because you are pissed over your tournament taking an attendance hit why don't you deal with the reality of it. WVYWA is not drawing so many people away from your tournament because of my one comment. Even in the threads about Jr States that I have no part in people have unhappiness with things about your tournament. That has jack squat to do with me.

As for me saying things that were "inaccurate" about WVYWA, I have always told the truth to the best of my knowledge or I have lent advice with a disclaimer that I could be wrong, and if I was wrong about something I have went back later and corrected it. I try to be helpful when people ask about something. If you don't like that then that is something you need to cope with on your own. I am not going to stop trying to be helpful for your sake and your attempt to paint me as dishonest or a liar is pretty lame.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:01 pm

baxter841 wrote:Was the date deliberately placed on the 1st weekend of march? Is it fair to say everyone involved in youth wrestling knows that has been the date Jr States has been held for years.

Its been public knowledge that tons of kids want to attend both - but cant ( while others can) while 1 region gets to ( no way, no how is that fair)

Could neither organization make the adjustments to fix it?

Its adults holding a pissing contest,

and the wrestlers are the ones suffering because of it.

once again, good luck to both organizations ( its like trump versus hillary )

Regarding the date of the qualifiers, quite simply they were tied into a limited date by Big Sandy to have the tournament and had to schedule their qualifiers accordingly. If they had their qualifiers earlier than March 5 then they were either going to have them during the weekend of high school states (which nobody in the state would have been OK with) or before the middle school season ended on Feb 20 which would mean most middle schoolers could not participate. If they had them the weekend of March 12 then that leaves them less than a week to get regional results sent to in and do seeding (I can't imagine anyone wanting to seed a big tournament in just two or three days). They didn't "pick" the weekend of Jr States, they were basically stuck with it because of the date that Big Sandy was available.

southpaw

Postby southpaw » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:25 pm

Coach williams, calling jr states an open tournament bc you don't have to qualify to be there is kind of a sad statement. What makes the new state that much better? There were region 6 champions struggling to place at a Novice tournament this past weekend. A 4u 45 wresler qualified 6u 50 or 55 at region 6 and got beat in the novice 4u 45. As long as wood county continues to laugh at the new states it won't be legit.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:12 pm

southpaw wrote:Coach williams, calling jr states an open tournament bc you don't have to qualify to be there is kind of a sad statement. What makes the new state that much better? There were region 6 champions struggling to place at a Novice tournament this past weekend. A 4u 45 wresler qualified 6u 50 or 55 at region 6 and got beat in the novice 4u 45. As long as wood county continues to laugh at the new states it won't be legit.

How is it sad? I was merely stating a fact. Is it not an open tournament? Do you even understand what being an open tournament is?

The WVYWA is different because you have to qualify. And it is not "the new states" because it is not sanctioned. It is a closed tournament.

As for the Region 6 qualifier being "embarrassing" (your words), if region 6 wrestlers want to compete at Jr States and stay away from the WVYWA qualifier then that is certainly their choice, but in my opinion it says nothing about the WVYWA. The political game is afoot. Region 6 people are taking their kids to Jr States in some form of show of solidarity and keeping them away from the WVYWA qualifier and the end result is those kids will not be at the WVYWA championships, which I am guessing means that region 6 will not be represented very well on the podium at the WVYWA championships, which is a shame. There are a lot of good wrestlers from the Wood/Jackson county area that would add to the competition at WVYWA and it is too bad that they will not be there because of parents getting caught up in politics.

mscoach6

Postby mscoach6 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:35 pm

the majority of the programs in the state support the organization. If you truly want what's best for the kids, you would not only support the new organization, like the rest of the state has supported you for the last 38 years. But do what you can to make it successful. Instead of causing conflict and confusion. And trying to make a divide in wv youth wrestling.

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:29 pm

I knew that the chatter was going to pick up as it got closer to tournament time. All had been pretty quiet especially Mr. Dinbar, but now since there is a 700 wrestler different at his open tournament he begins the chatter.
Before there is comment on the number of kids that are attending the Regional Tournaments might be good to have the facts. Because 85 to 90 wrestlers is not correct.
Since we are bringing up numbers from what I hear there are approximately 438 wrestlers attending the Parkersburg open, and approximately 100 wrestlers of the 438 will be attending the WVYWA State Tournament.
So I don't see that any Regional tournaments is going to be a disappointment. I am damn sure that there will be more than 438 wrestlers at the true State tournament WVYWA.

See you guys there!!!!!!

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:25 pm

It's a shame because as a parent I really looked forward to attending both. Financially it was going to be difficult. It wasn't until recently I discovered we cannot. ( I apologize mscoach6) I was told our league championship qualified us and I never really investigated it further until they were saying get your forms in for regionals.( my mistake for just taking someone's word) History surely repeats itself because this was the same argument between Wv championships and jr states 5-6 years ago about which tournament was the true states. We all can argue, slander,and belittle all day like we're still in 6th grade but in the end the original purpose has failed. Finding out who the best youth wrestlers are in the state of West Virginia. Perhaps next year it'll get ironed out but my son will be in high school. It will be entertaining reading predictions next year based on who won what tournament. If anything it will prolong the suspense.

RickDunbar

Postby RickDunbar » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:40 pm

In my defense...I didn't begin the chatter. I merely saw that Coach Williams wanted "someone to show him" where he had degraded Jr States and I complied with his request. I never intended to assert anything about anyone's greed or egos.

mscoach6

Postby mscoach6 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks North, but the apology is mine. After reading the posts from earlier in the day and the shots being fired. I assumed that you were feeding the pig so to speak. You had an honest question. And you were just reacting to my sarcasm. So my apologies again to you. My youngest is in middle school as well, so his involvement in the WVYWA will be limited. But I believe this is the right direction WV youth/ms wrestling and am glad to see it come. Like I said earlier the vast majority of youth programs in this state not only support, but wanted this to happen. And even at the championships in our area all the middle school coaches discussed it and voted to support the WVWYA. So even though the actions of a few might slow the full potential of the organization. It will be successful this year, and years to come. And hats off to all the people in region 6 that have giving countless hours in bringing this organization to life. Tougher for you guys and gals, than anyone else given the attitude in your area. Anyway, good luck to your son this year. Hopefully, we will be seeing him wrestle in Huntington for the next 5 years.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:29 pm

RickDunbar wrote:In my defense...I didn't begin the chatter. I merely saw that Coach Williams wanted "someone to show him" where he had degraded Jr States and I complied with his request. I never intended to assert anything about anyone's greed or egos.

And I showed you where that was not derogatory. I never have had a problem with Jr States, I simply support what WVYWA is trying to do, as apparently lots of others do. I have no direct investment in youth wrestling and am in my last year of having investment in middle school wrestling since my son is moving on to high school next year. That doesn't mean I don't want to see the youth wrestling flourish. I believe our state has much to offer for the future of wrestling and it starts with a unified youth program that benefits everyone including Wood county. I wish you and your organization the best and hope that the future holds a resolution of this issue.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:51 am

WVYWA, Travis Phillips and Coach Williams... <snip> ...no respect.

Return to “Youth Wrestling”