WVYWA Regionals

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
wvnorth

Re: WVYWA Regionals

Postby wvnorth » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:24 am

If a last-minute amendment were implemented qualifying the top 3-4 Junior state placers for the WVYWA I would likely take advantage. Just a thought...
Last edited by wvnorth on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

James

Postby James » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:02 am

wvnorth wrote:If a last-minute amendment were implemented qualifying the top 3-4 Junior state placers to qualify for the WVYWA I would likely take advantage. Just a thought...

I like the sound of that. Would be room in the brackets.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:33 pm

wvnorth wrote:If a last-minute amendment were implemented qualifying the top 3-4 Junior state placers for the WVYWA I would likely take advantage. Just a thought...

That is not a bad idea, however that means bumping someone who did attend the regionals. The only exception would be if there was an empty spot in the bracket.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:19 pm

if it were considered those interested could submit a request by a certain date so as all info is available and an accurate count of jr state finalists interested before the brackets are made. Treat it like it was another regional seeding wise. I know it's too good to be true but we want to do both. It should be automatic if another region was able to do both. Just my opinion.

James

Postby James » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:25 pm

6 regions, top 4 from each. 24 wrestlers in each, has to be a 32 man bracket with byes for 6 wrestlers, right?

SMC

Postby SMC » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:12 pm

James wrote:6 regions, top 4 from each. 24 wrestlers in each, has to be a 32 man bracket with byes for 6 wrestlers, right?

I believe there will be 8 byes in the first round. Six regional champs and two runners up from the same region as the top two seeded regional wrestlers. J.W. or someone else on here can correct me if I'm wrong.

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:23 pm

SMC wrote:
James wrote:6 regions, top 4 from each. 24 wrestlers in each, has to be a 32 man bracket with byes for 6 wrestlers, right?

I believe there will be 8 byes in the first round. Six regional champs and two runners up from the same region as the top two seeded regional wrestlers. J.W. or someone else on here can correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. Will probably be a few more brackets that have a few more byes than that, but still would not open it up to let people in that did not qualify. Does not set a good precedence for establishing a qualification criteria. Maybe next year things can be discussed amongst the powers to be. Just my 2 cents but I am a non voting low man on the totem pole.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:53 am

J.W. wrote:
SMC wrote:

You are correct. Will probably be a few more brackets that have a few more byes than that, but still would not open it up to let people in that did not qualify. Does not set a good precedence for establishing a qualification criteria. Maybe next year things can be discussed amongst the powers to be. Just my 2 cents but I am a non voting low man on the totem pole.

That is kind of where I am at. If there was a regional available to you and you just chose not to go then getting in because of some non-qualifier results wouldn't be fair to the ones who took the time to go to a regional. The region 6 qualifier was held on a different date to accommodate those wrestlers not wanting it to happen on the same day as Jr States, so if they still didn't go then that is on them or in this case, on the parents.

Sparsons26105

Postby Sparsons26105 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:46 am

coach_williams wrote:
RickDunbar wrote:Coach Williams.

Post by coach_williams » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:32 pm

I can't find that thread to link to it, but I believe that if you look at my posts later in that thread you will see that I admit I was wrong about the age structure. If you consider making a mistake and then admitting it was a mistake and retracting it to be "disparaging" then so be it.

Regarding my other comments, I stand by them and there is nothing disparaging about them.

1. I said Jr States is just an open tournament that is called Jr States. This is a fact. The only true state wrestling championship in West Virginia is the high school state championships. I can create an open tournament and call it "The Walt Disney World Championships of Only Great Wrestlers", but it doesn't make it sponsored by Walt Disney, a world championship nor does it make the wrestlers in it the greatest.

For that measure, I see people referring to WVYWA as "the other state championships" which is also wrong. It is the WVYWA Championships. It is not a state or junior state championship.

2. Jr States IS an open tournament, DOES NOT have qualifying requirements, DOES allow wrestlers to enter at any weight as long as they can make that weight and DOES NOT use seeding like will be used at the WVYWA championships since you don't have qualifiers and use submitted records (and I assume WSAZ finishing spots) to seed. These things are all true. None of them are disparaging.

Instead of attacking me for being honest because you are pissed over your tournament taking an attendance hit why don't you deal with the reality of it. WVYWA is not drawing so many people away from your tournament because of my one comment. Even in the threads about Jr States that I have no part in people have unhappiness with things about your tournament. That has jack squat to do with me.

As for me saying things that were "inaccurate" about WVYWA, I have always told the truth to the best of my knowledge or I have lent advice with a disclaimer that I could be wrong, and if I was wrong about something I have went back later and corrected it. I try to be helpful when people ask about something. If you don't like that then that is something you need to cope with on your own. I am not going to stop trying to be helpful for your sake and your attempt to paint me as dishonest or a liar is pretty lame.

1 - continuing to refer to Jr States as simply "just another open tournament" is degrading it simply because you have fallen into the WVYWA water down system. I agree with Mr. Dunbar 100% - they tried to be part of this and be on board - but simply being placed in a position of "screw you, we are going to do what we want" attitude
2 - for our little state with truly very few wrestlers when compared to surrounding states, does having the state tournament an "open style" hurt anyone? I will agree 100% that Jr States need to look at how they seed their wrestlers and the criteria in which they are seeded - I believe that if the wonderful individuals that were trying to fix the wrong doings so much would simply focus on that lone fact then all would be great for all. If the money is not a factor (which everyone now wants to say it is not) then that fixes the one huge problem that we all agree on and we move on.

As for the WVYAW tournament - Yes, you are looking at a 32 man bracket per class with 8 byes in it to make it 24 - PLUS you have all the byes to enter from the huge number in the region 6 tournament - so basically - most of those positions are going to be byes. Now you are below a 16 man bracket NOT including the byes that will be from other regions. Will there be some fuller weight classes? I am sure there will be, but I am certain there will be many others where one simply has to show up to place in the tournament. Why does this not happen in the legit states of Ohio and PA? NUMBERS!!! We do not have the numbers to support this system. People should have been on the level and worked with wood county, not against them. Now it is just a slam fest that has truly hurt WV wrestling. Congrats guys, you have hurt Jr. States, but you have also hurt youth wrestling for wV.

Cantbanme

Postby Cantbanme » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:31 am

Why is this still going on its over! Drop it. <snip> <banned>
( acts of disrespect or those actions which incite negative reaction by others.)

winnellbuddy@aol.com

Postby winnellbuddy@aol.com » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:00 pm

First of I would like to say what a shame that 1 person can change something that has happened for the youth of WV, I used to have the utmost respect for this person and his (money) team and the coaches. I don't understand why someone would want this much power!!! To try and prove a point just maybe they will become politicians!!! and lie about what they can promise you!!! If you want an apology from me guess what it's not going to happen! I have been part of the WV JR STATES for at least 15 years and I have worked my butt off along with other coaches and teams in the WOOD COUNTY REC and I must say I am proud to be part of!!!
SHAME ON YOU!!!
YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!

winnellbuddy@aol.com

Postby winnellbuddy@aol.com » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:12 pm

WV JR STATES has been something the kids in WV have looked forward to for 39 years. How can you say it isn't anything other than an open tournament...Really!!!First of I would like to say what a shame that 1 person can change something that has happened for the youth of WV, I used to have the utmost respect for this person and his (money) team and the coaches. I don't understand why someone would want this much power!!! To try and prove a point just maybe they will become politicians!!! and lie about what they can promise you!!! If you want an apology from me guess what it's not going to happen! I have been part of the WV JR STATES for at least 15 years and I have worked my butt off along with other coaches and teams in the WOOD COUNTY REC and I must say I am proud to be part of!!!
SHAME ON YOU!!!
YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!

winnellbuddy@aol.com

Postby winnellbuddy@aol.com » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:26 pm

If any of you would have put an ounce of time in that Rick Dunbar and Brent Sams and coaches from Wood County Rec Teams, perhaps you would understand how we feel
It absolutely disgusts me that people are so self centered and want to be the Big Dogs!!!
GET A LIFE!!!!
Let the youth of the State keep there Day!!!

winnellbuddy@aol.com

Postby winnellbuddy@aol.com » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:31 pm

WV JR STATES HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE SAME WEEKEND. Just luck would have it that all the regional open wrestling were scheduled the same weekend. Go Figure!!!

Gutorone

Postby Gutorone » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:11 pm

"WV Jr States" has been run by the Wood County Rec as far as I know since the beginning. It has been open to all WV kids , and again as far as I know they kept ALL the money ($$$$). Other teams got tired of paying for Wood County Rec fund raiser. Or are you saying it was a non-profit proposition ? The new guys limit who can participate and as far as a can tell they split the money among all teams that participate. Did Chevy or Dodge ask Ford if it was ok for them to make cars ?? I just wish we had a tournament that let all kids in and the money was split among all teams. After all , is this not what the High School guys are talking about on their posts. Combine AAA and AA/A into one tournament ? They are also talking about moving it around to diff cities if possible. And BTW if that is a WV High School State Championship , why are the mats green and yellow ? The team score board green and yellow ? And the podium green and yellow ? :? :? :? :? :?

winnellbuddy@aol.com

Postby winnellbuddy@aol.com » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:15 pm

Ask Chris Miller if we helped Rt5 Wrestling program with mats! And anyone else that asked received help, how much help have you or anyone else given wood county in putting on the states, I can answer that but I will be nice.
Rick Dunbar has given his all to make this happen without one dime for his time and effort, Again Thanks for all your criticism.
GOD BLESS YOU!!! and I hope you can look and see what a disappointment this is

WrestlingMom2009

Postby WrestlingMom2009 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:27 pm

Would love to know who the wood county administrators of this page are... I've seen a lot of WVYWA bashing and calling their officers and coaches on board immature selfish children... Yet their accounts are still active and going strong. I have emailed these so called administrators with no response. It's an open forum yet you post your opinion because it is clearly open for discussion and you risk being banned. Let me first clarify that the first post was a "stop worrying and just go to your regional and wrestle WVYWA" after 5 pages of people crying they want to attend both tournaments. Not sure how that warrants being "banned" from the site unless someone is a firm believer in the new wood county jr state championships. I'm sorry for all the hurt people out there but again last year when we asked what wood county has done for teams outside of their vicinity they stated two things that were done for events in Ohio one being viper pit. Way to give back to WV! All the back and forth bickering is getting old. WV was ready for a change and I have said before either people will go where he competition is at or they purposely are going where the competition isn't! The choice was yours... You made it ... Now move on so the rest of us can witness history in the making and huge strides in WV youth wrestling.

wrestle3

Postby wrestle3 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:35 am

It baffles me to think that individuals think one or two people have changed WV youth wrestling. Parents of WV youth wrestlers has changed the way "States" are held in WV. It is the parents choice to have their child attend whatever tournament they want. Some chose WV Jr. States while others chose to participate in WVYWA qualifiers and regionals and some chose both. As for me and my family we looked at both. The WVYWA way was more appealing to us. We like the way it mirrors High School Regionals/States. No one influenced us, nor twisted our arm or made us drink special koolaide. It was our choice just as it was for everyone else in this state. We have attended WV Jr States and haven't had a bad experience. We just like the set up of WVYWA. We like that you earn your way to states you just don't turn in a form with money and get to go. I do wish that Parkersburg and WVYWA could work this out. Hopefully in the future they can. So please quit bashing some individuals for their ideas. You don't have to like, agree or participate in their ideas. Quit pointing fingers to one or two individuals. One or two individuals can't change this whole state but the parents of wrestlers can. So if you are mad we didn't attend WV Jr. States be mad at me. I made that decision for my kid. No individual. Individuals money, power or our wrestling club made the decision for me. I made the decision.

fan234

Postby fan234 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:00 am

I remember the year the WV Junior State Championships were held in the armory at Beckley...guess who ran the tourney there and guess why they ran it. Not because of the money, nor the ease of venue change,locale to most of the workers, it was for the legacy of junior state championships and the kids involved. :roll:

Campion

Postby Campion » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:14 am

We decided to skip both this weekend. My 11 yr old has great memories of Jr States and was always proud of his championships he won there. We live in Charleston and are not from Wood County. Call it an open tournament, if you like, but he always had better competition there than anywhere else in the state. I really didn't and still don't care that volunteers, who organized and ran the tournament, made a profit. It takes hard work and money to support events like this and the great sport of wrestling. When something happens that makes no sense, follow the money!

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:01 pm

WVYWA champions vs Junior State champions! Since it's all non-profit, winner takes ALL the money from all tournaments!! :shock:
Moderator WV Mat

RWWS

Postby RWWS » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:23 pm

Was just a matter of time.

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:37 pm

RWWS wrote:Was just a matter of time.

I had to try and throw a bit of sarcastic humor into all the disenchantment.
Moderator WV Mat

RWWS

Postby RWWS » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:47 pm

Thats why we love ya Gator

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:53 pm

Thanks buddy! Tell Pee Wee I said hi!
Moderator WV Mat

Return to “Youth Wrestling”