WVYWA Regionals

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Campion

Re: WVYWA Regionals

Postby Campion » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:42 pm

"Leadership: The art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it."

WV youth wrestling lacks leadership. Without it, the in-fighting and bickering will continue. One true state championship system that benefits the kids could still meet all constituents needs. Notice I said needs, NOT wants. This is not that hard gentlemen.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:56 am

justwrestle wrote:Nice to see someone post that has been to qualifiers. I think most of us who has been and went with an ooen mind already see the positives.
My understanding is that it will be rotated Coach Williams. Huntington just happen to have the availability and compacity requirements at the right time.

That is my understanding as well. I hope so.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:58 am

wvnorth wrote:I'm not from Wood Co. i have no affiliation with the jr states aside from my son competing there. What is the motive for placing the regionals on the same date? My son will be in high school next year so where it goes after this year doesn't matter to me. I just hate to show up to the jr states to find a 5 man round robin.

Not likely to be a problem for middle school wrestlers as they qualify for WVYWA by placing at their middle school regional tournaments which will all be over by then. The WVYWA qualifiers are going to interfere with youth wrestlers attending Jr States.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:32 pm

I believe what you are saying may be false. May understanding is that the middle school WVYWA qualifier will be at the same date, place, and time as the other age groups for your region.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:15 am

WP1992 wrote:I believe what you are saying may be false. May understanding is that the middle school WVYWA qualifier will be at the same date, place, and time as the other age groups for your region.

I believe the intent is for there to be a middle school qualifier tournament in the future that will take place the weekend before the WVYWA, but I spoke to Travis Phillips a few months ago and he said that middle school wrestlers who place top 4 in their weight class at their conference tournament qualify for the WVYWA tournament this year. That certainly could have changed since he and I last talked as that was back in mid-November.

wrestler152215

Postby wrestler152215 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:25 pm

Are the going to post the dates for the region 4, 5, and 6 tournaments.

salemdad

Postby salemdad » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:52 pm

I was wondering the same thing...where will the Regional Tournament for Regions 4, 5, and 6 be wrestling? These Regionals have to be on the same dates as Regions 1, 2, and 3.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:40 am

Campion wrote:"Leadership: The art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it."

WV youth wrestling lacks leadership. Without it, the in-fighting and bickering will continue. One true state championship system that benefits the kids could still meet all constituents needs. Notice I said needs, NOT wants. This is not that hard gentlemen.

Fisrt off I think your definition of leadership also fits the description of "manipulation" but please hear me out. I don't a flying f word about what tournaments you wish to hijack and destroy. I simply want to attend a tournament that has a full bracket of quality wrestlers. In WV that is usually impossible and when an outside entity with alterior motives enter the picture impossible simply becomes impossiblex2. The Sutton area is central WV. Huntington is 4+ hrs from us and the Eastern Panhandle. So location isn't the motivating factor here. Please tell me why hijacking Parkersburg JR States by placing these new regionals on the same date is so important? In fight promoting the state athletic commission doesn't permit events to hold their matches on the same date within a certain distance for this reason. I believe I'll call the commission on this matter Monday so stand by because this was done pretty poorly with bad intention from my standpoint. Like I said before, I don't have have a preference or a motive. I simply won't stand by while you ruin the state tournament for my sons last year in middle school.

Blueandwhite

Postby Blueandwhite » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:12 am

I really don't see all of this griping back and forth doing any good. So with that being said seems everyone is just going to have to pick a venue to attend and hope for the best and make the best of it. No one likes change but sometimes it's best in the long run.

firedawg64

Postby firedawg64 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:36 am

When is the qualifier for the Wetzel County area we have 2 middle school wrestlers undefeated and one that is 19-1. None of our points are shown. How do we report results and how do we sign up for qualifiers.

firedawg64

Postby firedawg64 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:17 am

abettnman wrote:The only regional tournament that is not the same weekend as the Parkersburg Open tournament is the Wood County region.

The other five regional tournaments is being held that same weekend.

Since facilities for the regional tournaments have already been scheduled, I don't see the dates changing, and they shouldn't be.

So let me get this straight you are making a qualifying round the same weekend as Jr States and if a kid win his conference championship he doesn't get an automatic seed in the tournament for middle school? This sounds like we are trying to destroy one tournament to make yours better. Last I checked SSAC hasn't sanctioned either one so why are we cling this a True Champion?
If it was setup by SSAC then you could clearly call your tournament a True Champion. I was considering on bringing my son to it but we are in middle school wrestling and then we participate in Jr States. Last year he on had 7 loss and won the TOC qualifier in Mineral Wells, and got 4th in Jr States. I don't see the reason for making people choose because if it would have been different days you could have had possibly 3 or 4 from just our school.

HolyHighCrotch

Postby HolyHighCrotch » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:24 am

I am not sure why everyone is upset. You have a choice, make it and move on. The WVYWA was not designed by 1 person, it was a group of people that wanted something different. Theree is no monopoly on days of the week that gave a certain weekend to Parkersburg and it was off limits to the rest of the world. I talked to some college coaches the other day and your kid is not going to be looked at in Parkersburg or Huntington. Take them where they will develop the most, or have the most fun, or have the easier bracket if that is what your thing is. Just quit complaining that it is not fair because if a group wants a committee, they have the right, if another group wants to support tradition, great. Ask your kid where he wants to wrestle and go with it.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:30 am

firedawg64 wrote:
abettnman wrote:The only regional tournament that is not the same weekend as the Parkersburg Open tournament is the Wood County region.

Since facilities for the regional tournaments have already been scheduled, I don't see the dates changing, and they shouldn't be.

So let me get this straight you are making a qualifying round the same weekend as Jr States and if a kid win his conference championship he doesn't get an automatic seed in the tournament for middle school? This sounds like we are trying to destroy one tournament to make yours better. Last I checked SSAC hasn't sanctioned either one so why are we cling this a True Champion?
If it was setup by SSAC then you could clearly call your tournament a True Champion. I was considering on bringing my son to it but we are in middle school wrestling and then we participate in Jr States. Last year he on had 7 loss and won the TOC qualifier in Mineral Wells, and got 4th in Jr States. I don't see the reason for making people choose because if it would have been different days you could have had possibly 3 or 4 from just our school.

I spoke to Travis Phillips who is on the board at WVYWA. He said that our middle schoolers who place in the top four at their conference tournament qualify for the WVYWA meet.

I quote verbatim from his text to me about it:

"Middle school wrestlers in the middle school division do not have to attend a qualifier to establish their base (weight). All they have to do is attend their regional and place in the top 4. Their placement will help us determine their seed (pill formula somewhat like high school)"

So our boys automatically qualify for the WVYWA tournament as long as they place in the top 4 of their weight class at the Mason Dixon.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:16 am

You guys are absolutely right about pick one and move on. What I would like to know before I picked one would be where is my best competition? Well hopefully I can get a list going to help those wanting to find or avoid some good competition. So far I have on my shortlist going to Parkersburg Junior states:

Cameron Irrazarry 80 lbs
Ian Irrazarry 98 lbs
Brayden Roberts 110 lbs
Peyton Hall 116 lbs
Jake Martin 116 lbs
Braxton Amos 195 or heavy wt.

I believe I will create a new thread on this topic.

firedawg64

Postby firedawg64 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:52 am

coach_williams wrote:
firedawg64 wrote:

I spoke to Travis Phillips who is on the board at WVYWA. He said that our middle schoolers who place in the top four at their conference tournament qualify for the WVYWA meet.

"Middle school wrestlers in the middle school division do not have to attend a qualifier to establish their base (weight). All they have to do is attend their regional and place in the top 4. Their placement will help us determine their seed (pill formula somewhat like high school)"

So our boys automatically qualify for the WVYWA tournament as long as they place in the top 4 of their weight class at the Mason Dixon.

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. ; )

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:01 pm

firedawg64 wrote:
coach_williams wrote:
firedawg64 wrote:

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. ; )

No problem. I do need to clarify one thing with him. He keeps using the term "regionals" and we don't have a regional tournament for middle school, we have conferences. If they take the top 4 from each conference tournament then they are going to have more than 16 qualifiers for each bracket.

Sparsons26105

Postby Sparsons26105 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:33 pm

I said my piece earlier in this thread, but continue to read about how the points are messed up, some have counted and submitted, some have not. It all goes back to my point, change is good and welcome, but I believe that the people backing this idea initially have taken too big of a bite and need to step back and refocus what the goal needs to be and how to properly get everything in line. With regions being on different days and tournaments that are qualifiers not submitting results, this is a mess. We need to step back and punt this one and look to improve next year, starting with communication. And I would love to throw an idea out there - that instead of trying to smash wood county in the ground, try to get them involved in a way that is not "we would love to have you, but if you aren't, we will smash you in the ground" perspective. They would be a great asset

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:44 pm

Sparsons26105 wrote:I said my piece earlier in this thread, but continue to read about how the points are messed up, some have counted and submitted, some have not. It all goes back to my point, change is good and welcome, but I believe that the people backing this idea initially have taken too big of a bite and need to step back and refocus what the goal needs to be and how to properly get everything in line. With regions being on different days and tournaments that are qualifiers not submitting results, this is a mess. We need to step back and punt this one and look to improve next year, starting with communication. And I would love to throw an idea out there - that instead of trying to smash wood county in the ground, try to get them involved in a way that is not "we would love to have you, but if you aren't, we will smash you in the ground" perspective. They would be a great asset

I don't know how much you have been in the loop, but from what I have been told the Wood county people were invited to several meetings with the WVYWA to try and get some type of "middle of the road" agreement done and the representatives never bothered to attend any of those meetings. Working together is a two way street. Is there any evidence that Wood county has made any effort at all to "work together" with the WVYWA at all? I have read pretty much every post on here regarding the subject and I only see demands that WVYWA change their qualifier meets to a date other than March 5th. That is not working together, that is demanding things be your way.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:41 am

jakesdad wrote:Again, if you are middle school wrestler and wish to wrestle in the WVYWA tournament in Huntington, you DO NOT need to attend a WVYWA qualifier, you must attend YOUR region tournament AND place in the top FOUR of your weight class to move on to the WVYWA tournament that is held in HUNTINGTON. No matter where you place in your conference, you must wrestle in your region tournament

That is correct. I spoke to Travis yesterday and got it clarified. Conference placement does not matter. Regional tournament placement does.

wvenergyman

Postby wvenergyman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:11 pm

Just clarifying to make sure it is clear to me, we haven't made a qualifier yet but my son wrestles for the middle school. He doesn't need to wrestle in a qualifier, his middle school weight takes care of making weight but he does have to wrestle in his region. Is that all correct? Sorry to rehash, just walking through it all so we don't miss out.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:20 pm

wvenergyman wrote:Just clarifying to make sure it is clear to me, we haven't made a qualifier yet but my son wrestles for the middle school. He doesn't need to wrestle in a qualifier, his middle school weight takes care of making weight but he does have to wrestle in his region. Is that all correct? Sorry to rehash, just walking through it all so we don't miss out.

You are correct. He does not need to wrestle in a qualifier, but will need to make weight and place in the top 4 at a regional meet. From what I understand, registration forms for the regional meets should be available within the next week or two. The form for the Region 3 tournament is already available under the Youth/Open Tournaments link on the main page.

wvenergyman

Postby wvenergyman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:59 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the information.

wrestler152215

Postby wrestler152215 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:46 am

Are they holding all six regionals on march 5th? So far only Regions 1, 2, and 3 have posted dates.

wrestler152215

Postby wrestler152215 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:59 pm

I jsut saw on the WVYWA page that the region 6 tournament is on February 21, 2016. Just curious as to why their date is different than the others regions. I would assume it is so that the teams in their region can attend both the Jr. States and the WVYWA States. Why is this region different than the rest?

ddrennen

Postby ddrennen » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:10 pm

It is up to the regional chairs when to host their tournament. Region 6 is on that date so all local teams can continue to support the Parkersburg State tournament and the new WVYWA State Tournament.

Thanks,
Dave Drennen - Parkersburg Cougars

wrestler152215

Postby wrestler152215 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:17 pm

Do the youth wrestlers have to attend a wvywa qualifier, or can the just show up at the regional and make weight to establish base weight? If you have establish base weight before the regional, will their be a list at each regional of kids from that region who have made base weight? If a kids shows up who hasn't attended a wvywa qualifier will they be allowed to compete? Just trying to make sure I understand all the rules.

Wrestlingprodigy40

Postby Wrestlingprodigy40 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:41 pm

Wrestle has to make base weight with no allowance before regions so let's say 8u 50 has to be made not 51 or 52 50 or lower. They do offer after Jan a one pound allowance but they will have it written down who made what at the regions at what weight. So even if wrestler went to qualifiers but weighed 51 he hasn't established 50 for a base weight and cannot wrestle that weight.

wrestler152215

Postby wrestler152215 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:50 pm

Thank you that answered part of my question. Do you have to go to a wvywa qualifier to be eligible to wrestle at regionals, or can you just show up at regionals and compete?

ddrennen

Postby ddrennen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:16 pm

They can show up at regionals to wrestle and make their base weight without the allowance.

ddrennen

Postby ddrennen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:37 pm

If your 100% sure that's fine. My understanding was that anyone could show up to their respective regional and wrestle, just would not have the weight allowance or seeding points.

Also I do not know of any other base weight tournaments, I believe that only tournaments marked as WVYWA qualifiers count towards base weight.

Return to “Youth Wrestling”