wvywa seeds

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
wrestler152215

wvywa seeds

Postby wrestler152215 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:40 pm

How is the wvywa state tournament seeded?

MountaineerWC

Re: wvywa seeds

Postby MountaineerWC » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:23 pm

Points, head to head, and record for the champions in each Region the rest of the kids are put in like how the High school states are.

wvenergyman

Postby wvenergyman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:38 pm

I didn't think points mattered. I asked today since results of events are still missing but was told they only mattered for,regionals if they needed a tiebreaker.

MountaineerWC

Postby MountaineerWC » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:47 pm

Then it must be record and head to head for Regional champs.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:10 am

WVYWA website states criteria will be based on record, head to head, and previous accomplishments. I would assume this would include previous state placement, etc.

wvenergyman

Postby wvenergyman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:49 am

Thanks That makes sense, so my next question is how will they know head to head and state placement. The latter is easy to look up but a lot of work. The former is very difficult and fairly impossible since some middle schools don't post anything. Not trying to over analyze but wondering if we should submit some of that info to the WVYWA.

eaglematmonkey

Postby eaglematmonkey » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:20 am

So how is that improve seeding from THE JR STATE TOURNAMENT? And how is the 7 and 8 seed automatic by region if automatic 7 and 8 seed wrestler lost head to head to unseeded wrestlers? I thought WVYWA was to improve seeding but it sounds like it is worse that JR STATES? The point system is now appearing as smoke and mirrors to get people to jump on board.

gnat

Postby gnat » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:52 am

when is the seeding meeting?

ebpioneer96

Postby ebpioneer96 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:12 am

Will there be a seeding meeting for all coaches, or do the six regional directors seed the tounrament? Is there a pill system or is it a blind draw after the regional champions are seeded?

wvenergyman

Postby wvenergyman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:32 pm

Just bumping this one back up. Curious if there is a seeding meeting and how seeding is determined. Head to head, accomplishments past and present make sense, but my question would be how is that information compiled? Coaches/parents? Regional directors?

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:16 pm

I believe the seeding meeting was Tuesday evening.

wrestler152215

Postby wrestler152215 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:46 pm

So if the seeding meeting already happened, why aren't the brackets posted yet.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:39 am

wrestler152215 wrote:So if the seeding meeting already happened, why aren't the brackets posted yet.

Not everybody has time to drop what they are doing and type up the seeding immediately. People have jobs, family and a life outside of wrestling. The tournament isn't until next weekend so that leaves plenty of time to get them posted.

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:10 am

I do not believe that everyone is seeded at the states. Just the #1 seeds will be seeded is my understanding. I do know that the the #1 & #4 seeds of each region will be in the same side of the bracket, and the #2 & #3 seeds of each seed will be in the opposite side of the bracket.

wvenergyman

Postby wvenergyman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:01 am

Originally they were seeding through 8. 6 Regional champs were 1-6 and 2 runner ups filled 7 and 8.

wrestler152215

Postby wrestler152215 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:47 pm

Are the 5th and 6th place winners from regions being let into the tournament if other regions didn't have enough kids in the bracket to send the top 4?

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:05 pm

wrestler152215 wrote:Are the 5th and 6th place winners from regions being let into the tournament if other regions didn't have enough kids in the bracket to send the top 4?

Not that I am aware of. I think the only way a 5th placer gets in is if one of the top 4 from their region is not attending.

EDIT: I just spoke to Travis Phillips and yes, 5th and 6th placers will fill empty spots in the top 4 of other regions.

EDIT EDIT: Releasing of seeds/brackets is delayed because of the effort to place 5th and 6th placers of one region in unfilled spots of other regions. Brackets will be posted Monday at noon.

Wrestle_DaD

Postby Wrestle_DaD » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:10 pm

Sooooo. 5th and 6th placers r going if other regions couldn't fill the weights? So what is the point of the regionals. Looking through results only a handful of weight classes actually had enough kids for a top 4 n each region. So since these added kids didn't qualify it's technically an open tournament. Right? It sounds to me that after crunching numbers the money isn't coming out as anticipated and now the scrambling has begun. Now this is all just my opinion. Wvywa defenders I expect some good explanation here

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:39 pm

Wrestle_DaD wrote:Sooooo. 5th and 6th placers r going if other regions couldn't fill the weights? So what is the point of the regionals. Looking through results only a handful of weight classes actually had enough kids for a top 4 n each region. So since these added kids didn't qualify it's technically an open tournament. Right? It sounds to me that after crunching numbers the money isn't coming out as anticipated and now the scrambling has begun. Now this is all just my opinion. Wvywa defenders I expect some good explanation here

Or... You could be just another person who wants to stir the pot for your own personal agenda. Some of you people need to get a life. You had your chance and time to wrestle when you were a kid... How about stopping all the bitching like petulant children and let the kids wrestle in peace. I guarantee you that not one of them is worrying about who might be added or not from 5-6 place finishers.

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:42 pm

No explanation needed, but if you insist. It's not an open tournament for one, all these kids went to a regional and 5th and 6th was an alternate. You might make it you might not. High school has this as well as and other states also. Of course first year is going to be rather smaller than if it was established. Once again though with have jr states being 39 years, they didn't have the greatest year by far. Actually the brackets will be significantly larger than jr states. Have a great day!

southpaw

Postby southpaw » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:38 pm

Goldenponyboy wrote:No explanation needed, but if you insist. It's not an open tournament for one, all these kids went to a regional and 5th and 6th was an alternate. You might make it you might not. High school has this as well as and other states also. Of course first year is going to be rather smaller than if it was established. Once again though with have jr states being 39 years, they didn't have the greatest year by far. Actually the brackets will be significantly larger than jr states. Have a great day!

I dunno if they will be significantly larger, but I'm glad they are allowing almost all the kids that paid to qualify wrestle. Next yr, maybe thry will have the bugs worked out. If not I might sign my kid up and face time a forfiet and he can qualify 2nd in a region.

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:44 pm

YES, 5th and 6th place finishers are being let in if other regions don't have four wrestlers in their region.

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:45 pm

BRACKETS ARE BEING RELEASED MONDAY BY NOON!!!! I believe on track wrestling.

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:50 pm

southpaw wrote:
Goldenponyboy wrote:No explanation needed, but if you insist. It's not an open tournament for one, all these kids went to a regional and 5th and 6th was an alternate. You might make it you might not. High school has this as well as and other states also. Of course first year is going to be rather smaller than if it was established. Once again though with have jr states being 39 years, they didn't have the greatest year by far. Actually the brackets will be significantly larger than jr states. Have a great day!

I dunno if they will be significantly larger, but I'm glad they are allowing almost all the kids that paid to qualify wrestle. Next yr, maybe thry will have the bugs worked out. If not I might sign my kid up and face time a forfiet and he can qualify 2nd in a region.

It will be enough to make a difference. You will have to weigh in and actually be there. So either one can go to the wood county championship or the state championship.

southpaw

Postby southpaw » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:07 pm

Goldenponyboy wrote:
southpaw wrote:

It will be enough to make a difference. You will have to weigh in and actually be there. So either one can go to the wood county championship or the state championship.
Goldenponyboy wrote:
southpaw wrote:

A State championship? There's no such thing for youth right now in WV. Kinda sad actually...but they will eventually get the chance to win a state title when they all get to high school and as History shows they may as well hold that in wood county.

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:15 pm

southpaw wrote:
Goldenponyboy wrote:
southpaw wrote:

Goldenponyboy wrote:
southpaw wrote:

A State championship? There's no such thing for youth right now in WV. Kinda sad actually...but they will eventually get the chance to win a state title when they all get to high school and as History shows they may as well hold that in wood county.

Yes it's history in the making. Jump on board or hopefully you have a life raft. Give it a few years that will be another ship that will sail also.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:57 pm

Wrestle_DaD wrote:Sooooo. 5th and 6th placers r going if other regions couldn't fill the weights? So what is the point of the regionals. Looking through results only a handful of weight classes actually had enough kids for a top 4 n each region. So since these added kids didn't qualify it's technically an open tournament. Right? It sounds to me that after crunching numbers the money isn't coming out as anticipated and now the scrambling has begun. Now this is all just my opinion. Wvywa defenders I expect some good explanation here

Here is the fallacy in your claim that WVYWA is worried about money. I took my son to the regional and he was the only one in his bracket, so he was the automatic winner. When we went to pay the $25 entry fee for the championships they told me that since he had no one in his bracket we only had to pay $5 because they didn't feel right charging $20 for him when he didn't even get a match.

With that said, this juvenile silliness needs to stop. I have been accused of "disparaging" Jr States simply because I said it was an open tournament, while you people have outright attacked and insulted everyone and everything to do with WVYWA. Do not try to tell me how much you care about wrestling in this state because you clearly only care about wrestling in your community, otherwise you would stop with the immature attacks. If you don't want to be a part of what is happening with WVYWA then don't, but at least have enough respect for the sport that we all love to stop with the snide remarks and attempts to tear down something that a lot of other people clearly are in support of.

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:08 pm

The reason they keep bashing when the chatter stops is because they see it slipping away from them. I agree it's over and done with. Jr states is over WVYWA is a week away it's all history. On to off season for the few that do that and others on to next year. Nothing that is says will change what is already done and what will happen in the future. They also did that at our region if no one was there 5 bucks only. Can't beat that. I should probably just let them say what they want because the ones on board are what WV will become, but it feels like a direct hit sometimes so it's hard to sit back. We are in between arguably the greatest two wrestling states in the nation. Time to get on that level and this will be the first start and with the money going to all these teams hopefully we can achieve that. I know the argument is we don't have the numbers, but we don't need the numbers we have done great things with the numbers we have as a state and time to move forward. Good luck everyone on the upcoming WVYWA and the offseason!!!

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:43 pm

Nobody owes you an answer. So you are not part of the WVYWA.... who cares. You think somebody owes you information because you are who? What exactly have you done for the sport. What effort are you making to try to improve things. If some what a change they have the right, if the other 25 percent want to stay on the same old course so be it.

Campion

Postby Campion » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:54 pm

Let's figure something out better for the kids next year, please... Sad.

Return to “Youth Wrestling”