Wvywa 12 yr olds

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Matmanwv

Wvywa 12 yr olds

Postby Matmanwv » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:58 pm

I have spoken to quite a few people who disagree with the change this year to make 12 year olds wrestle in the middle school division. These kids wrestle 11-12 age group all year and then are told you have to wrestle in the middle school division even if you are 12 and we have a 11-12 age group. Let the kids choose if they are ready to wrestle the next level or not. ITS NOt TOO LATE FOR THE POWERS TO BE TO MAKE THE CHANGE. Kids who want the challenge through out all the tournaments can choose to wrestle up but now they are being forced to. It's not right. Seems as though this was done when the middle school was going to have its own tournament to have more kids attend it. The WVYWA is supposed to be all for the kids so let the kids choose which division they want to wrestle in.

Wrestlewv

Re: Wvywa 12 yr olds

Postby Wrestlewv » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:00 pm

AGREE 100%.
Give the kids the choice.

SkyWalker22

Postby SkyWalker22 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:47 pm

Is this not the case??? I heard at the beginning of the year that a 12 yr old 7th grader had to wrestle in the middle school division but a 12yr old 6th grader could still wrestle in the 11-12 class . I completely agree !!! Let them choose

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:16 pm

I'm pretty sure that's he case. If you are 12 in 6th you will wrestle 11-12 but if you are 7th you are in middle school. Im90 percent sure

Wrestlewv

Postby Wrestlewv » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:52 pm

Yes 6th grade 12 yr old can wrestle 11-12 but 7th grade 12 yr old has to wrestle middle school. But 12 is 12. Let the kids choose.

Wrestle12

Postby Wrestle12 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:12 am

There are many issues with this decision. First, it is unprofessional of the organization to change a rule mid season. Second, it is unprofessional to not announce the change. Along with a poorly managed website that gives very little, if any information. Third, your going to allow 7th grade "12" year olds to wrestle all year in 12U qualifiers but when it comes to regionals and states, nope you have to wrestle the Middle School division. Sure we will take your Money and allow you to wrestle 12U up until Regionals and States. Completely unfair. Fourth, last year 12 years old in 7th grade had a choice.

Since your 12 and in 7th grade you are being forced to wrestle middle school. Don't start the comments about if you don't like the rule don't come. Many wrestling organizations have supported WVYWA and are doing our best to make it a success but when you start changing rules mid stream and the lack of information regarding anything with WVYWA makes it very difficult to promote WVYWA. We don't want this organization to fail but something has to change. WVYWA is failing it's supporters.

Here are some things I would like to know about this new "12" year old rule.

Are you going to ban 8th grade 15 year olds from the Middle School division since you are banning 7th grade 12 year olds from the 12U division?

Are you going to change it to 11U?

Are you going to check birthdates for the kids that are 12 in 6th grade? What if a child was held back or started school late????

Are you going to ban 6,8,10 year olds from wrestling in there age group like you are doing 12 year olds. Ex: Are you going to make a 4th grader who is 10 wrestle in 12U? Completely unfair to a 12 year old.

Whoever said on this post 12 is 12, you are exactly right. Just like 10 is 10. If you are going to change rules for one age group, then you better change them all.

I know you are trying to make the Middle School division more competitive but I am sorry this is not a way to do it. The Middle School division is going to be more competitive but you have to give it time. You are basing your decisions off of one year. More people know about it now. Have patience. Give it time to grow. Very poor decision making on WVYWA.

Campion

Postby Campion » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:15 am

Has this rule been confirmed? I have 12 yr old 7th grader and he is wrestling 11-12 at Jr States. Why would a 12 yr old 6th grader be allowed to wrestle 11-12 at WVYWA but not a 12 yr old 7th grader? Because I didn't hold my kid back a year when he was ready for Kindergarten? I am missing the logic here.

Wrestlewv

Postby Wrestlewv » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:42 am

Apparently the regional chairs voted on it so si it has been changed. Everyone needs to spread the word and get to the Wvywa chairs and get them to put it back the way it should be. Let the kids choose if the want to be in 11-12 or middle school.

James

Postby James » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:30 am

I have on dog in the fight, but I'm feeling all of you. I see a little controversy in the rules. 2 lines under the 7th grader rule is states a wrestler must enter the age group were there age falls. Seems like someone is riding the fence. I think this is an easy fix, but we gotta have consistency. Either let them wrestle their age or, if your in middle school, you have to wrestle middle school. Either way, stay consistent. No mid season changes, and update website son people can see what is going on. Rules was posted a week ago and not even on their own site.

brad32bury

Postby brad32bury » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:41 am

I have a 12 year old in 7th grade with a birthday in AUG, while he was fairly successful during middle school he struggled this year with some teens, muscle development with just a year difference can be huge. He wrestles up in age at times in open to prepare for high school, but not sure we will be attending this year. I agree with James, consistency and communication is important to build a strong tournament, I'm not sure I would even give them the option, keep it 12u, 10u, etc. Not sure what the difference is in a 6th grade 12 yr old or a 7th grade 12 yr old.

James

Postby James » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:50 am

Change MS division to 13/15. Everyone wrestled their age. Problem solved.

SkyWalker22

Postby SkyWalker22 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:59 am

So I have a 6th grader that is 12yrs old so obviously we could benefit from not allowing a 7th grader to wrestle in 11-12 but really that makes no sense. The grade should have no effect on what age group you wrestle in. It's a good thing Dr. Doogie Houser didn't wrestle they would be making that poor kid wrestle college when he was in 6th grade! Lol but anyway I'm with everyone that says 10 is a 10 and 12 =12

justwrestlewv

Postby justwrestlewv » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:32 pm

I have a 6th grader who is 11 and he will wrestle the middle school division at the WVYWA Championship. I have a lot of people asking why would I do that to him? Here is the reason he wrestled all season as a middle wrestler, he wrestled in opens as 11/12 and middle school divisions double bracketing trying to get more mat time . Why would I want to take a chance from another kid that has wrestled all year in a YOUTH wrestling open tournament. Everyone is missing the point of youth wrestling. It is to better the youth if I didn't want him to wrestle middle school then I wouldn't have let him try out for his middle school. Why in the world would I want to take a step back when all I want is for him to better his self and move forward. Do any of you really think that a youth title will follow that child? It matters in high school and that's what we are shooting for. Lets quit the gripping and do whats best for ALL kids not just your own. Everyone has forgotten what the most important thing here is: teaching our kids to be the best they can be not matter what the situation may be and letting them know as a parent you are always and will always be there for them. Its not about a trophy or a title at the end of day there are so many parents trying to live through there kids.

Wrestlewv

Postby Wrestlewv » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:52 pm

To justwrestlewv.
I don't have a kid in this situation. First it is about the kids so by using your logic an 11 yr old could be wrestling a 14 or even 15 year old. So that logic says a 5 yr old should wrestle a 9 yr old. We could also say an 80 pound kid in 1st grade should wrestle an 80 pound 5th grader cause they're both in elementary school. There is a big difference in most 11-12 year olds maturity and growth compared to 13-15 yr old. Safety of the kids should be looked at too If your kid is able to complete at that level that's great but the majority can't but again you and hopefully your kid is choosing to wrestle middle school. As far as the youth title not meaning anything or being important when they are older I have to disagree with you. The youth title gives them something to be proud of and build on for the next level when they get to that level. I'm sure you somewhat agree or your kid wouldn't be wrestling for a meaningless youth or middle school title. A 12 yr old wrestling 11-12 shouldn't be looked at as a step down because they are 12. We are not going to better our sport if we push kids to wrestle the older divisions if they aren't ready we only hurt it because they won't want to do it.
Last edited by Wrestlewv on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wrestlewv

Postby Wrestlewv » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:57 pm

I believe you may need to check on the 11 ye old being allowed to wrestle middle school anyway. I believe the bylaws say you must wrestle in you correct division.

Matmanwv

Postby Matmanwv » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:21 pm

justwrestlewv wrote:I have a 6th grader who is 11 and he will wrestle the middle school division at the WVYWA Championship. I have a lot of people asking why would I do that to him? Here is the reason he wrestled all season as a middle wrestler, he wrestled in opens as 11/12 and middle school divisions double bracketing trying to get more mat time . Why would I want to take a chance from another kid that has wrestled all year in a YOUTH wrestling open tournament. Everyone is missing the point of youth wrestling. It is to better the youth if I didn't want him to wrestle middle school then I wouldn't have let him try out for his middle school. Why in the world would I want to take a step back when all I want is for him to better his self and move forward. Do any of you really think that a youth title will follow that child? It matters in high school and that's what we are shooting for. Lets quit the gripping and do whats best for ALL kids not just your own. Everyone has forgotten what the most important thing here is: teaching our kids to be the best they can be not matter what the situation may be and letting them know as a parent you are always and will always be there for them. Its not about a trophy or a title at the end of day there are so many parents trying to live through there kids.

So the question you are asked why you would do that to him. I read that as your making him do it. Are you trying to live through your child? Seriously I know you want what's best for your child which is what everyone wants. If my kid isn't ready for the next level I am not going to make them wrestle up. I do encourage my kids to challenge themselves and try to get better and to be the best they can be. Let the kids decide if they are ready at 12 to wrestle middle school or if they still need to wrestle the 11-12.

justwrestlewv

Postby justwrestlewv » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:27 pm

vi. Middle School Age Group
a). Wrestlers in grades 6, 7, and 8, with WVSSAC defined
Middle School eligibility may participate. No wrestler
with WVSSAC defined Varsity or Junior Varsity
experience would be permitted.
b.) An 11 or 12 year old in 6th grade may participate in either
the 11-12 Youth Age Division, or in the Middle School
Division but cannot participate in both events.

Not want to cause harm or ill feeling but above is the by laws for WVYWA he can wrestle Middle school. I didn't mean for any of my comment to come across harsh or as a youth title is meaningless its not what my intentions were. He has been against plenty 7th and 8th graders this season and yes the struggle is real but it pushes him to work harder and he is the one that had the final decision of where he wanted to wrestle.

Wrestlewv

Postby Wrestlewv » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:31 pm

justwrestlewv wrote:vi. Middle School Age Group
a). Wrestlers in grades 6, 7, and 8, with WVSSAC defined
Middle School eligibility may participate. No wrestler
with WVSSAC defined Varsity or Junior Varsity
experience would be permitted.
b.) An 11 or 12 year old in 6th grade may participate in either
the 11-12 Youth Age Division, or in the Middle School
Division but cannot participate in both events.

Not want to cause harm or ill feeling but above is the by laws for WVYWA he can wrestle Middle school. I didn't mean for any of my comment to come across harsh or as a youth title is meaningless its not what my intentions were. He has been against plenty 7th and 8th graders this season and yes the struggle is real but it pushes him to work harder and he is the one that had the final decision of where he wanted to wrestle.

I wasn't exactly sure on the wording for the middle school division but I believe all others have to wrestle the correct based on age.
Wish your kid best of luck at states.

Wm0mof3

Postby Wm0mof3 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:55 pm

My 11 yo 6th grader will also be wrestling the middle school division. Only because he did wrestle middle school this year and we did not make it to any qualifiers. So the only way he can compete in the regional tournament is as a middle school entry.

Wrestlewv

Postby Wrestlewv » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Wm0mof3 wrote:My 11 yo 6th grader will also be wrestling the middle school division. Only because he did wrestle middle school this year and we did not make it to any qualifiers. So the only way he can compete in the regional tournament is as a middle school entry.

There is a qualifier this weekend in Lewis county. Cut off is today at 6pm.

James

Postby James » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:10 pm

Also one next weekend at Brooke

Wm0mof3

Postby Wm0mof3 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Wrestlewv wrote:
Wm0mof3 wrote:My 11 yo 6th grader will also be wrestling the middle school division. Only because he did wrestle middle school this year and we did not make it to any qualifiers. So the only way he can compete in the regional tournament is as a middle school entry.

There is a qualifier this weekend in Lewis county. Cut off is today at 6pm.

We have already committed to other tournaments, JR States being one.

WIfan

Postby WIfan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:11 pm

If you have a wrestler that is 12 years old and in the 7th Grade, then why would you want your wrestler to compete down? Why not have your wrestler compete against other wrestlers that are at least in the same grade or up? Wouldn't this benefit your wrestler in middle school and into high school? Why would you want he or she to wrestle against 11 year old 5th graders?

Also, how will the WVYWA confirm the grade level of the wrestlers? Will we have to submit current Report Cards showing what the grade level is?

Wrestlewv

Postby Wrestlewv » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:15 pm

WIfan wrote:If you have a wrestler that is 12 years old and in the 7th Grade, then why would you want your wrestler to compete down? Why not have your wrestler compete against other wrestlers that are at least in the same grade or up? Wouldn't this benefit your wrestler in middle school and into high school? Why would you want he or she to wrestle against 11 year old 5th graders?

How about forget the grade they are in and wrestle by age like we have done for many years. If they are 12 then wrestle 11-12. If 13 then wrestle 13-15/middle school.

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:49 pm

While I agree that this should all be by age and my 12 shouldn't have to wrestling a 15 year old because there is an obvious muscle difference my biggest issue is the communication of this. I entered my son at a qualifying tournament at 11-12 because he's 12. There was never a mention of grade. It seems to me that this change was decided and not communicated now if I want my son to come to your state's he has to requalify. Seems like a money grab to me or maybe just failure to communicate. I doubt I'll bring my son because of this.

wrestle3

Postby wrestle3 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:31 pm

I talked to Mr. Carman about this issue. I had messaged one of the board members and they had Mr. Carman call me. I expressed my concerns and frustrations. My biggest issue was changing a rule after the season had started and not announcing the rule change to anyone. Many are still not aware of this rule. I mean it has been hush hush. I can see not making everyone aware if the entry fee went up but this is a major rule change. A rule change that effects a lot of 12 year olds. I hope that they change this rule back to the way it was last year and these 12 year olds have a choice. I just don't see anything changing with a few comments. More individuals need to speak up and contact there regional President. It still may not change anything.

Campion

Postby Campion » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:52 am

Who do I need to talk to? Car Man? Lol...

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:59 am

Mike Carman is the president. Or contact your regional chairman and go from there

Beast

Postby Beast » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:22 pm

There is a qualifier on Sunday, February 26 in Summersville @ Nicholas Co. HS.

James

Postby James » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:36 pm

Beast wrote:There is a qualifier on Sunday, February 26 in Summersville @ Nicholas Co. HS.

Says point qualifier. Don't think it is a base weight tourney.

Return to “Youth Wrestling”