Jr. States 11-12, 13-15 Trophies????

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
SkyWalker22

Jr. States 11-12, 13-15 Trophies????

Postby SkyWalker22 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:00 pm

Maybe it's just me but if go through everything it takes to win a trophy at a tournament like this and you get your picture taken with one and then you are handed a lousy plack , you are going to be disappointed. I know people' will probably say you should just be happy with winning, but really if you are going to pinch pennies do it somewhere else . let these kids have there moment in the sun.

Wrestlingmom2011

Re: Jr. States 11-12, 13-15 Trophies????

Postby Wrestlingmom2011 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:50 pm

My son loves his plaque. He said he now had something to put on his wall instead of his shelf.

Wm0mof3

Postby Wm0mof3 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Wrestlingmom2011 wrote:My son loves his plaque. He said he now had something to put on his wall instead of his shelf.

Agreed! After all these years of wrestling the last thing we need is another trophy...my son doesn't even pick them up half the time. We go for the matches. The plaque was nice and I understand why they go that route.

James

Postby James » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:33 pm

It has always been this way. 11 yrs and older gets plaques.

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:42 pm

SkyWalker22 wrote:Maybe it's just me but if go through everything it takes to win a trophy at a tournament like this and you get your picture taken with one and then you are handed a lousy plack , you are going to be disappointed. I know people' will probably say you should just be happy with winning, but really if you are going to pinch pennies do it somewhere else . let these kids have there moment in the sun.

My boy won a hockey puck and a clock at TOC. It's the accomplishment not the prize.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:55 pm

Why has it "always been this way"?

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:58 pm

My nephew was one of those that were given plaques.... so " if the prize doesnt matter" then why give anything? ???

I think its the posing with trophies then getting a plaque that has people upset.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 am

Personally, I am not a fan of huge trophies or trophies in general. However, I do see that keeping kids interested.

But, when you get to high school there are very few trophies earned. Typically they are medals. I think we place too much emphasis on the trophy and not enough on the accomplishment.

Here is something I have noticed in my own house. We used to compete in tournaments every weekend and my sons would each come home with a trophy. They would adorn the mantle over our fireplace every year. Now some 8 years later, I have boxes upon boxes of trophies stored in my basement. We have decided to take the face plates off and place them on a plaque for each of our kids, including the Jr State trophies that are in our house and re-purpose the trophies for special olympics. With the medals they have earned, we put them in shadow boxes with other memorabilia for that year so they can hang them on walls. To remember the accomplishments, things need to be visible. There is only so much space in your houses. It is very difficult to keep all those trophies visible.

Shadow boxes and medals are perfect for this. Just my .02.

James

Postby James » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:39 am

mike.carman wrote:Personally, I am not a fan of huge trophies or trophies in general. However, I do see that keeping kids interested.

But, when you get to high school there are very few trophies earned. Typically they are medals. I think we place too much emphasis on the trophy and not enough on the accomplishment.

Here is something I have noticed in my own house. We used to compete in tournaments every weekend and my sons would each come home with a trophy. They would adorn the mantle over our fireplace every year. Now some 8 years later, I have boxes upon boxes of trophies stored in my basement. We have decided to take the face plates off and place them on a plaque for each of our kids, including the Jr State trophies that are in our house and re-purpose the trophies for special olympics. With the medals they have earned, we put them in shadow boxes with other memorabilia for that year so they can hang them on walls. To remember the accomplishments, things need to be visible. There is only so much space in your houses. It is very difficult to keep all those trophies visible.

RIGHT ON. Don't get me wrong, the younger kids need the trophy's. Lots of tourneys do some pretty cool stuff. From custom trophies, singlets, to the viper pits rudis wooden sword. ToC has some of the best, imo. My son has a lamp, blanket, and this little alien dude that is all still out. Everything else, including Jr States awards are in a corner or a closet. Like Carmen's idea, just can't talk mom in to it. Jr States this past weekend my sons runner up plaque went into his gym bag and is still there. If it was a trophy, it still would be out n the car as well. He brought home pride that he wrestled his best and that he carries with him all the time.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:09 pm

James wrote:
mike.carman wrote:Personally, I am not a fan of huge trophies or trophies in general. However, I do see that keeping kids interested.

RIGHT ON. Don't get me wrong, the younger kids need the trophy's. Lots of tourneys do some pretty cool stuff. From custom trophies, singlets, to the viper pits rudis wooden sword. ToC has some of the best, imo. My son has a lamp, blanket, and this little alien dude that is all still out. Everything else, including Jr States awards are in a corner or a closet. Like Carmen's idea, just can't talk mom in to it. Jr States this past weekend my sons runner up plaque went into his gym bag and is still there. If it was a trophy, it still would be out n the car as well. He brought home pride that he wrestled his best and that he carries with him all the time.

I don't necessarily think the younger kids need trophies either. I think they have been conditioned to expect them. If they were conditioned to expect medals, they would be satisfied with that. Especially if we as adults make a big deal out of it.

Return to “Youth Wrestling”