Problem i see

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
mscoach64

Problem i see

Postby mscoach64 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:41 am

I think the WVYWA has a problem. I see all this talk about lack of participation in regions, etc. But, I think the biggest issue is the fact that this tournament is too late in the season. Many kids have left wrestling season and went on to baseball, etc. The tournaments have basically concluded all across the state, etc. Going from November to March 19 starts to wear after a time and I just think many have put away their shoes for the year. Kids are growing and it becomes too hard to keep them at those weights for such a long time. Maybe some do not agree, but middle school and high school wrestling is usually over 3-4 weeks by the time this tournament takes place.

matcoach90

Re: Problem i see

Postby matcoach90 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:24 am

mscoach64 wrote:I think the WVYWA has a problem. I see all this talk about lack of participation in regions, etc. But, I think the biggest issue is the fact that this tournament is too late in the season. Many kids have left wrestling season and went on to baseball, etc. The tournaments have basically concluded all across the state, etc. Going from November to March 19 starts to wear after a time and I just think many have put away their shoes for the year. Kids are growing and it becomes too hard to keep them at those weights for such a long time. Maybe some do not agree, but middle school and high school wrestling is usually over 3-4 weeks by the time this tournament takes place.

Totally agree... my son is still competing in the middle school division. However, he's finding it hard to locate practice partners and other tournaments to attend that have more in a bracket than two kids. For example, we now are looking for a tournament so he can stay fresh and get mat time between the Regional and state tournament because there's two weeks in between of dead time. Then there's the issue of do we travel for a tournament and how far away? Because you hate to waste time and money going to a tournament when you have no idea how many kids might be there until you arrive. Again, I suppose it's just that time of year in wrestling where interest begins to fade.

ddrennen

Postby ddrennen » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:44 am

Completely agree. This tournament needs to be held the weekend that the qualifiers were held.

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:15 am

matcoach90 wrote:
mscoach64 wrote:I think the WVYWA has a problem. I see all this talk about lack of participation in regions, etc. But, I think the biggest issue is the fact that this tournament is too late in the season. Many kids have left wrestling season and went on to baseball, etc. The tournaments have basically concluded all across the state, etc. Going from November to March 19 starts to wear after a time and I just think many have put away their shoes for the year. Kids are growing and it becomes too hard to keep them at those weights for such a long time. Maybe some do not agree, but middle school and high school wrestling is usually over 3-4 weeks by the time this tournament takes place.

Totally agree... my son is still competing in the middle school division. However, he's finding it hard to locate practice partners and other tournaments to attend that have more in a bracket than two kids. For example, we now are looking for a tournament so he can stay fresh and get mat time between the Regional and state tournament because there's two weeks in between of dead time. Then there's the issue of do we travel for a tournament and how far away? Because you hate to waste time and money going to a tournament when you have no idea how many kids might be there until you arrive. Again, I suppose it's just that time of year in wrestling where interest begins to fade.

I apologize, but I completely disagree... There are still a lot of tournaments and practice partners everywhere for all ages.

Mason County Open, TOC, Viper Pit, Virginia Beach Nationals, State of WV Odd Year Tournament, etc... just to name a few.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:27 pm

abettnman wrote:
matcoach90 wrote:

I apologize, but I completely disagree... There are still a lot of tournaments and practice partners everywhere for all ages.

Mason County Open, TOC, Viper Pit, Virginia Beach Nationals, State of WV Odd Year Tournament, etc... just to name a few.

Well I disagree, based on recent experience... as I said, my son wrestles in the middle school division. The last theee tournaments we have attended, there were no more than two other kids in his weight class. As far as wrestling partners, how can you tell me there are plenty around unless you are in my area? Because in our area, there aren't many, they are off playing baseball, track, lacrosse or just don't want to wrestle any more. And I never said there weren't any tournaments to attend... I said the brackets have been nearly empty. So, the problem, at least in our area, still stands.

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:02 pm

matcoach90 wrote:
abettnman wrote:
matcoach90 wrote:

Well I disagree, based on recent experience... as I said, my son wrestles in the middle school division. The last theee tournaments we have attended, there were no more than two other kids in his weight class. As far as wrestling partners, how can you tell me there are plenty around unless you are in my area? Because in our area, there aren't many, they are off playing baseball, track, lacrosse or just don't want to wrestle any more. And I never said there weren't any tournaments to attend... I said the brackets have been nearly empty. So, the problem, at least in our area, still stands.

Before our club season started we went an hour and 45 mins away to practice. If you want to wrestle you will find a way to get those partners and my son is a little one so they are hard to find especially trying to find a quality one.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:58 pm

Goldenponyboy wrote:
matcoach90 wrote:
abettnman wrote:

Before our club season started we went an hour and 45 mins away to practice. If you want to wrestle you will find a way to get those partners and my son is a little one so they are hard to find especially trying to find a quality one.

Well I guess you can afford the gas money more than some of us, have a more flexible work and middle school schedule, or just more dedicated than some of us. So here's to your fortunate situation.

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:56 pm

No,you would think I have money or a lot of helpbut I don't I make it work. I know not all can travel, but I have made some friends from wrestling and set stuff up. Go in my basement wth a buddy. You don't need much. Also last year I got a 10x10 mat and my son is small and I'm not compared to him and I was his partner everything he did I did running push-ups shot drills.

Return to “Youth Wrestling”