Sammie Henson no longer coach at WVU

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach28

Re: Sammie Henson no longer coach at WVU

Postby aaacoach28 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:42 pm

My top choices are kolat, Sanderson, Hughes,and Scott. These will all get the job done for sure. Shouldn't take long to start seeing multiple All Americans. All should be good at recruitment from PA ,Ohio, and N J.

pburg

Postby pburg » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:03 pm

Cary Kolat!!! That gets the name recognition checked off. He has head coaching experience. He is a WPIAL legend! We start kicking Cowboy ass in two years!

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:56 am

i would like to see kolat get it. sanderson isn't going to leave his brother at penn st but cunningham would be a good one to pluck from that coaching group at penn st. i just don't know if hughes or hahn are really interested in the job. would be nice to see a list of applicants.

indywvu

Postby indywvu » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:22 pm

FYI. On another wrestling forum, someone said Hahn interviewed at WVU on Thursday.

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:45 pm

thats good he's interested. if he can do half of what they have done at cornell that would be a huge step in the right direction for wvu.

QUI8HOQ

Postby QUI8HOQ » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:52 pm

Hahn and Sanderson are great candidates; however, HIGHLY unlikely anyone’s been to Morgantown this early in process. Rumors.

aacoach62

Postby aacoach62 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:03 am

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6 ... aching-job

FloWrestling has learned that Coleman Scott will not be pursuing the head coaching job at West Virginia. Scott just completed his third year at the helm of North Carolina's program.
Scott helped eight UNC wrestlers qualify for the 2018 NCAA tournament. The Tar Heels had two All-Americans in Cleveland: Troy Heilmann placed fourth at 149 pounds and Chip Ness placed seventh at 184 pounds. Overall, North Carolina placed 20th with 27 total team points.
Check out our 2018 NCAA coverage page.
The West Virginia job officially went on the market when it was revealed last week that the university would not be renewing Sammie Henson's contract after four years as the head coach.
It was speculated that Scott, a Pittsburgh area native, might be a candidate for the job, but he poured cold water on those rumors, telling FloWrestling that he is staying put in Chapel Hill, NC.
Several other current head coaches have been swirling about the rumor mill, but we have yet to confirm any official candidates.

indywvu

Postby indywvu » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:32 pm

Well, this posting states that first consideration will be given for those applying by April 7th. So, names should be surfacing very soon.

aacoach61

Postby aacoach61 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:55 pm

The entire process of selecting a head coach at a D-1 school is not done in public so as to protect candidates from upsetting fans at their home school and spare them any embarrassment if they are not hired. The only leak would likely be if someone sees a wrestling coach from another school on campus for an interview. Patience....

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:01 am

Before you attack,,, this is a quote from another board that I am sharing here,,,, I can not verify anything in it but thought it was interesting as to what it might mean,,,,,,,,
"FWIW a friend of mine in the know said there is an interview today with someone "above what they were looking for quality wise realistically" and "it just kind of fell into their lap". He couldn't remember the name, but trust me when I say he'd know about this kind of stuff."

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:31 pm

I wonder if Zeke Jones would have any interest in getting back in this part of the country?

aacoach61

Postby aacoach61 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:10 am

Damion Hahn off the table... hired by the Big 12’s South Dakota State as head wrestling coach...

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6 ... university

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:08 am

Zeke was interested last time the job was available but as soon as Arizona state became available he was no longer interested. Even tho his wife is from Morgantown asu was and is his dream job.

aacoach61

Postby aacoach61 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:29 pm

MaleMatMaid wrote:
aacoach61 wrote:I have followed college wrestling and subscribed to publications like AWN and WIN for 20 years. Here is my read:

1. We can not hire an assistant without previous head coaching experience. The learning curve is too great at the D-1 level. Coach Mazey in baseball was a TCU assistant when hired by WVU, but he had been a D-1 head coach and knew how to run a program.

2. We need a proven producer of All Americans. That’s the bottom line in scoring points at the NCAA tournament.

3. We need a coach with strong PA wrestling ties and PA familiarity; no more betting the house on mid-west recruits. We are about to miss another recruiting class unless we hire a coach who can pick out a few roses from the 2018 PA state place winners, since the PA state champs are likely already committed.

4. We need to be realistic that the new coach must think of WVU as an upgrade job from his present position.

Only logical pick...Tim Flynn of Edinboro.

Only logical pick? Really? You’re such a genius. NOT!

AND IN THE “I TOLD YOU SO DEPARTMENT,” THERE’S THIS.....LOLOLOLOL

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Hey aacoach61,,, would Jarrod Garnett make sense as an assistant? I got a hint that this is a possibility

aacoach61

Postby aacoach61 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:10 am

mscoach4 wrote:Hey aacoach61,,, would Jarrod Garnett make sense as an assistant? I got a hint that this is a possibility

Garnett was a 2013 AA at 125 for Va Tech and is an assistant coach for North Dakota State University. He has coached In PA at Lehigh and Bucknell.

Not sure how many Edinboro assistants Coach Flynn will bring in; heard he was getting acclimated at WVU last week.

Return to “Collegiate”