Ken Chertow—WVU ????

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Wvadvo

Ken Chertow—WVU ????

Postby Wvadvo » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:37 pm

I believe Ken Chertow should be the next Head Coach at WVU. Experience in every aspect of wrestling and committed to building up wrestling in WV. Could not go wrong with this choice. I believe he would be up to the challenge and willing to accept it as well.

Bearhugger

Re: Ken Chertow—WVU ????

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:11 pm

I have it on strong authority that he is applying and does indeed want the job!!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

aaacoach28

Postby aaacoach28 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Not sure he would be the right pick. No doubt he knows alot of wrestling but we need someone that can recruit n Ohio, PA, and NJ

Wvadvo

Postby Wvadvo » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:10 pm

His HTC(Home Training Center) and the Ramada Inn where his Summer Camps are held are both practically on Penn State campus. Recruiting would not be a weakness for him, it would be way more of a strength.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:22 pm

Tell coach Flynn from EU we'll give him within 10% of Sanderson's salary. When he reaches the top 5 give him a bonus to equal it........LOL

russling

Postby russling » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:33 pm

After one season with Division II Queens University of Charlotte, longtime Centre County resident Ken Chertow is moving on for another wrestling coaching opportunity.

Queens’ athletic director made the announcement earlier this week, although the future opportunity is not yet known. Chertow — an Olympian and Penn State All-American — told the Centre Daily Times he would be able to share more “in a few weeks” but declined to elaborate regarding specifics about his next move.

“We like it here in the south, but may return to State College,” Chertow said in a written statement. “I may also return to college coaching. I had a few coaches who know me well call me this week and am examining my options.”

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
Chertow, whose wrestling camps and clinics remain a Centre County staple, first became interested in the Queens job last spring. He enjoyed the fact he was starting the program from scratch and also that it was located in Charlotte, N.C.

In the team’s first season this past year, it finished 5-8 with 24 wrestlers on the roster.

“I want to thank Ken for his efforts to lay a foundation for Queens wrestling,” AD Cherie Swarthout said in a written statement. “Ken is internationally recognized in amateur wrestling, and his enthusiasm for collegiate wrestling will pay dividends at Queens for years to come. We wish him well as he pursues a different coaching opportunity.”

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:26 pm

russling wrote:After one season with Division II Queens University of Charlotte, longtime Centre County resident Ken Chertow is moving on for another wrestling coaching opportunity.

Queens’ athletic director made the announcement earlier this week, although the future opportunity is not yet known. Chertow — an Olympian and Penn State All-American — told the Centre Daily Times he would be able to share more “in a few weeks” but declined to elaborate regarding specifics about his next move.

“We like it here in the south, but may return to State College,” Chertow said in a written statement. “I may also return to college coaching. I had a few coaches who know me well call me this week and am examining my options.”

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
Chertow, whose wrestling camps and clinics remain a Centre County staple, first became interested in the Queens job last spring. He enjoyed the fact he was starting the program from scratch and also that it was located in Charlotte, N.C.

In the team’s first season this past year, it finished 5-8 with 24 wrestlers on the roster.

“I want to thank Ken for his efforts to lay a foundation for Queens wrestling,” AD Cherie Swarthout said in a written statement. “Ken is internationally recognized in amateur wrestling, and his enthusiasm for collegiate wrestling will pay dividends at Queens for years to come. We wish him well as he pursues a different coaching opportunity.”

I visited Queens University one afternoon and sat in on one of their practices.

1. Chertow was the ONLY coach in the room that day. There were no assistant coaches.

2. The mat room was SMALL!!!!! No way for 20+ wrestlers to go live in there. Coach Chertow told me on certain days they laid out mats in the gym and then they could spread out and go live.

3. The group of wrestlers were attentive, focused and jumped from technique to technique in rapid time.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

george

Postby george » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:07 pm

Chertow did not finish the season out at Queens. He resigned before the season was over. He does not have the experience or connections at this point to be a Head Coach at a major Division 1 program.

If we want the program to improve and compete nationally, they will have to get a D1 Head coach from a smaller D1 program or a top assistant from one of the top schools.

Wvadvo

Postby Wvadvo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:10 am

I would expect Chertow could recruit to WVU better than anyone else. If he can recruit many 100s of dedicated wrestlers to pay 100s of dollars for training, I would think he could attract some studs to WVU with scholarship money as well as many excellent walk ons. He is very well connected in PA and OH and a legend of WV wrestling. Looks like he brought in many wrestlers to Queens in short time, and they had a couple National Champions and 5 All-Americans. IDK why he left Queens. Maybe he wanted his assistant to have the opportunity or he wanted to get to work pursuing WVU or another D1 job.

Return to “Collegiate”