WVU

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
dunbar76

WVU

Postby dunbar76 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:43 pm

I don't like getting beat by Pitt at anything.......

Bearhugger

Re: WVU

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Does anybody know the projected line up against Va Tech?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

russling

Postby russling » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:50 am

From WVU wrestling page

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Looking to snap a three-match losing skid, the West Virginia University wrestling team returns to the WVU Coliseum to face No. 14 Virginia Tech in the Black Diamond Brawl on Wednesday, Dec. 18, at 7 p.m.

"With such a long season in college wrestling, it is such a challenge to keep kids focused and on task," coach Tim Flynn said. "Last week was tough with finals, but I think we can do both. I think we can be good students and wrestle well. If we wrestle well, we can win. It's our goal to go out and wrestle well against anyone, ranked and unranked. I'm looking forward to being back at home tomorrow night."

Wednesday's match will be streamed live for free on WVUsports.com/Watch and the WVU Gameday App. Fans also can watch the stream live via Roku and Apple TV by searching for the "West Virginia Mountaineers" channel. Tony Onarato and Michael Minnich will have the call.

Additionally, the match will be broadcasted live on FloWrestling.com. Live stats will be available for the match through TrackWrestling.com. Direct links to the video stream and live stats can be found on the wrestling schedule page on WVUsports.com.

Wednesday is Dollar Night, and all tickets and select concessions will be available for $1 each. Additionally, the first 500 fans in attendance will receive a free takedown foam finger. Autographs also will take place following the match.

Fans can purchase tickets by visiting WVUGAME.com, calling 1-800-WVUGAME or at the Mountaineer Ticket Office, located at the Gold Gate of the WVU Coliseum. All tickets are general admission.

The Mountaineers (1-3, 1-1 Big 12) and the Hokies (1-2, 0-0 ACC) will square off for the 22nd time on Wednesday. West Virginia boasts a 12-9 lead in the all-time series, which dates back to 1951. However, it has been Virginia Tech that has claimed the last three meetings (2016-18), after a 30-6 win in Blacksburg, Virginia, last season. Prior to the 2016 meeting, the two teams had not met since 2004, when the Mountaineers captured a 39-13 victory in Blacksburg.

Wednesday's match marks back-to-back rivalry matches for the Mountaineers, as West Virginia most recently suffered a 37-3 loss at the hands of No. 24 Pitt on Saturday, at the Fitzgerald Field House, in Pittsburgh. Redshirt senior Christian Monserrat was the only Mountaineer who added to the team's point total, as he recorded a 4-0 decision over Robert Lee at 149 pounds. With the win, the Methuen, Massachusetts, native remains undefeated in dual action.

Monserrat leads the squad with 13 match points, followed by redshirt juniors Zachary Moore and David Smith with nine. Monserrat also leads the team with nine takedowns on the year.

Of note, West Virginia has faced three teams ranked inside the USA Today/NWCA Coaches' Poll this year, with No. 14 Virginia Tech becoming the Mountaineers' fourth top-25 opponent of the 2018-19 season.

Virginia Tech last competed on Dec. 7 and picked up a 24-16 victory over Princeton in its home opener at the Cassell Coliseum. The victory marked the Hokies' first win of the year, as the squad fell to a pair of ranked foes on the road earlier this season (No. 7 Missouri and No. 25 Northwestern).

Six Hokies check-in to this week's national rankings, with two-time All-American David McFadden ranking the highest at No. 5 via Intermat. McFadden made his first appearance of the season against Princeton with a 5-0 decision at 174 pounds. Coach Tony Robie, who is currently in his second season at the helm, led his team to an eighth-place finish at last year's NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships.

Of note, Flynn will see some familiar faces on the mat this week, as Edinboro transfers Korbin Myers (133) and Billy Miller (HWT) are both listed as probable starters for Wednesday night's match. Miller, who is ranked at No. 7 via Intermat, transferred to Virginia Tech in June with one year of eligibility remaining. While at Edinboro under Flynn, Miller was a three-time NCAA qualifier and two-time Eastern Wrestling League (EWL) champion. Myers, who is ranked as high as No. 13 by FloWrestling, joined the Hokies with two years of eligibility. Myers won his second EWL Championship last season and qualified for the NCAA Tournament for the second time in his career.

Additionally, Robie was a two-time All-American and a 1997 NCAA finalist at 158 pounds with Flynn on staff. Before taking over the head coaching duties at Edinboro, Flynn served as an assistant under legendary coach and Olympian Bruce Baumgartner from 1992-97.

Following a holiday break, the Mountaineers head south for several matches, taking on Virginia, Michigan State, North Dakota State and Purdue, as part of the South Beach Duals, in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, from Dec. 29-30.

russling

Postby russling » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:23 pm

I see WVU wrestling struggling the next few years. Recruiting new talent will be the focus, most will likely be redshirting. New coach knows Pa HS well and needs to grab a few studs to build talent around. Know matter what anyone says the top available talent is close to WVU. Western Pa! Throw in top studs from OH, NJ, WV and other states and you get a top 15 ranked wrestling program.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:02 pm

russling wrote:I see WVU wrestling struggling the next few years. Recruiting new talent will be the focus, most will likely be redshirting. New coach knows Pa HS well and needs to grab a few studs to build talent around. Know matter what anyone says the top available talent is close to WVU. Western Pa! Throw in top studs from OH, NJ, WV and other states and you get a top 15 ranked wrestling program.

The problem is that apparenty the “ studs” ( your word not mine), do not come to Morgantown to wrestle. ...

“ struggling the next few years”? Heck they have struggled for many years.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:58 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:
russling wrote:I see WVU wrestling struggling the next few years. Recruiting new talent will be the focus, most will likely be redshirting. New coach knows Pa HS well and needs to grab a few studs to build talent around. Know matter what anyone says the top available talent is close to WVU. Western Pa! Throw in top studs from OH, NJ, WV and other states and you get a top 15 ranked wrestling program.

The problem is that apparenty the “ studs” ( your word not mine), do not come to Morgantown to wrestle. ...

I will save this post and remind you in 5 years when the finish in top 10 in country and the foundation is set to stay there. The got it right with Coach Flynn, But the again you like to post and comment on everything so you might know more then me.

Chris Diserio

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:50 am

forthekids wrote:

I will save this post and remind you in 5 years when the finish in top 10 in country and the foundation is set to stay there. The got it right with Coach Flynn, But the again you like to post and comment on everything so you might know more then me.

Chris Diserio

I will give you 10 years.

TSFNH

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:15 pm

I hope and expect to be getting better recruits and being competitive in another 2-3 years.

russling

Postby russling » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:44 pm

Agree "studs" did not go to WVU and WVU has struggled for many years. Whats your point?

lol. You are probably not familiar with Coach Flynn and his work at Edinboro U.

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:33 pm

WVU qualified 4 and got an at large for a total of 5 wrestlers going to the NCAA tourney not bad for a first year coach. Be patient people it'll come!!GK

Return to “Collegiate”