West Liberty Wrestling HC Mitch Smith resigns

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
westlibcoach

West Liberty Wrestling HC Mitch Smith resigns

Postby westlibcoach » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:52 am

This has been one of the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life. I’m officially resigning from my position as the Head Wrestling Coach at West Liberty University. I’m pursing a new career path away from wrestling in the business world. West Liberty University has meant so much to me by allowing me to transfer in to continue my athletic and academic careers. WLU offered me the position to come back and be the head wrestling coach, which I was honored to accept. WLU is the place where I earned my undergraduate and my Master’s degree. I’ll always bleed black n gold and WLU will have a special place in my heart. My wrestlers over the past decade have been apart of my family and is the hardest part about making this transition. I enjoyed all the trips, the highs and lows of competition and most of all I enjoyed watching my athletes become successful in life.

The sport of wrestling has giving me so much and taught me so many life lesson since the age of 8. My goal watching my first college wrestling match at age 10 was to one day be a head college wrestling coach. I have been able to live out that dream the past decade and soaked up every minute. I will never leave the sport of wrestling or forget what it gave to me. I’m just going to give back to the sport in a different manner.

My dreams and goals have evolved over the past couple years. I’m very excited about this next opportunity and knew when I was approached, it was the right fit for me. I’m a very blessed man to have Cortney as such a supportive wife. She has had the role of a coach’s wife for the past several years and that is not an easy task. Our beautiful 4 month old daughter Emma has been the best thing to happen in my life. This career move was the best decision for me and my family.

My favorite quote I will leave on: “You must be comfortable being uncomfortable”

Best,
Mitch Smith, MBA

Return to “Collegiate”