Canonsburg is 55 miles from Morgantown...

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aacoach61

Canonsburg is 55 miles from Morgantown...

Postby aacoach61 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:23 pm

And yet we lose this 2X PA State to Purdue? WVU has to recruit harder.

Canon-Mac’s Gerrit Nijenhuis will be competing in the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic this Saturday.

Here is a link to a good article:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/hso ... arsityXtra

mscoach146

Re: Canonsburg is 55 miles from Morgantown...

Postby mscoach146 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:11 pm

Next time the job comes open be sure to apply with your recruiting abilities and wrestling knowledge. I’m sure you’ll be able to land the ones Flynn can’t or the ones Henson couldn’t. Easy to recruit from behind the computer screen.

aacoach61

Postby aacoach61 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:03 am

mscoach146 wrote:Next time the job comes open be sure to apply with your recruiting abilities and wrestling knowledge. I’m sure you’ll be able to land the ones Flynn can’t or the ones Henson couldn’t. Easy to recruit from behind the computer screen.

That’s a total deflection. Coaching college wrestling successfully means great recruiting. We hired a successful coach from Pennsylvania at a six-figure salary to get the job done. Sorry if I expect my alma mater to get its money’s worth. You can throw the towel in on recruiting the best of the the best, but I won’t lower my WVU expectations. We have the facilities and the wrestling conference to at least compete with Purdue...

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:58 pm

Folks, I've been saying this for years. WVU should be able to recruit with the best. We will not get all of them but should get more of them. Having said that, I do believe coach Flynn can get this done. But I believed Henson could do it too.....

Coachcookie

Postby Coachcookie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:53 pm

Boalsburg Pa is about 250 miles from WVU, you now have a PA state champ as a recruit. More will be coming!!

Flynn, didn’t build The BORO in 3 years either, give him time, they will come. Not to mention, you have serious studs coming in from inside your own state!!

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:33 am

Hopefully his brother keeps that PA pipeline open!

I agree that he should get more than 3 years to produce but when is the magic number that he becomes accountable? Easy to say Henson left a mess and the cupboards were bare as the reason for the rough year. How do we explain the drop off in qualifiers from last year to this year? Noah qualified again but no one else did. Schmitt was a good hard working wrestler with an impressive high school pedigree. Why did he leave?

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:49 pm

Seibert finished 8th in his weight class and would have automatically qualified, except the No. 1 seed went 0-2 and by Big 12 rules could challenge for a true 8th place. It looked as though he would not challenge and get an at large bid but at the last minute changed his mind, wrestled and beat Seibert, costing Seibert and the Big 12 another qualifier.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:39 am

Seibert at Big 12:
Lost by tech fall 17-1
Won in OT 6-4 over a wrestler that went 20-21 on the season
Lost again by tech fall 22-7 to take 8th place out of 12 wrestlers

JoeGiovengo

Postby JoeGiovengo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:54 am

I see that Flo Wrestling ranked the WVU recruiting class at #11. I was a bit confused though as it said that we landed Anthony Dalesio from Ohio. He is ranked 19th in the country and was State Champ in Ohio as a Junior and was ranked #1 in Oh again this year. His only losses were to the #1 ranked wrestler in the country. I thought he was a Kent St. commit.

Can anyone confirm if he is in fact a WVU commit or not? If so it gives WVU a very solid class with 4 of the top 100 wrestlers in the country.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:49 pm

Anthony Dalesio was committed to Kent but flipped to WVU. Good for us bad for Kent. The recruits in this class have been stacked in the middle weights so it is good to see an upper weight coming in. Does he go 184 to battle it out with Carman & Moomau & DeLong for most of his career or does someone slide up to be Noah's backup at 197 for the next 2 years?

Looks like he got 6th place at 182 Ironman which means he is really good.

https://www.wkbn.com/sports/valley-stat ... 2-program/

Not clear if Coach Flynn is projecting him as an individual National Champion or a piece to the puzzle for WVU to win a team National title maybe both? I like the sound of it.

aaacoach6

Postby aaacoach6 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:15 am

Former Old Dominion 125-Pounders Find New Homes
Apr 17, 2020
Kyle Bratke
Click to unmute
0:09 / 12:52

Before Old Dominion's heartbreaking decision to drop wrestling, the Monarchs were spoiled at 125 boasting two NCAA qualifiers. Tonight, both Michael McGee and Killian Cardinale announced where they will be continuing their college wrestling careers.

Michael McGee began the season ranked in the top 10, but elected to use his redshirt this season after qualifying for the NCAA Championships his true freshman and sophomore seasons. A year ago in Pittsburgh, the former Monarch made it to the bloodround before falling to Pat Glory. Now, he's headed West. McGee took to Twitter to announce he will be a Sun Devil next season.

— McGEE ㄘ (@mcgeenis1) April 18, 2020
Expect McGee to move up to 133 where he will form a great 1-2 punch with Brandon Courtney who finished the season ranked #7 at 125. The Sun Devils have been a hot topic since the season ended after former assistant Chris Pendleton took the Oregon State job and NCAA champions Frank Molinaro and Mark Perry joined the staff.

When McGee decided to redshirt that opened the door for Cardinale who made the most of his opportunity and put together a great season. Cardinale turned in a 25-9 record and finished the season ranked #15 in the country. Like his former teammate, Cardinale took to Twitter to announce he's headed to almost heaven, West Virginia to finish his college career.
Last edited by aaacoach6 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

aaacoach6

Postby aaacoach6 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am

Ironman Champ Jordan Titus Commits To West Virginia
Apr 19, 2020
Wrestling Nomad
null
0:00 / 0:00

Coach Tim Flynn picked up a big-time commit from one of the best lightweights in the junior class today as Jordan Titus verballed to West Virginia.

After an undefeated junior season, Titus finished the year ranked #18 at 126 pounds. He spent the majority of the year down at 120, but bumped up for the postseason and won his second straight state title in New York, appearing in his fourth final.

He's our 20th-rated prospect on the Class of 2021 Big Board and projects as a 125 or 133 in college. With one year of high school remaining, that will become more clear depending on if he is a 126 or 132 next season.

The Mountaineers' lightweight future looks much brighter now. They're bringing in an Illinois state champ in Colton Drousias in the 2020 class, and they just got Pitt transfer Ryan Sullivan as well. Additionally, sophomore Lucas Seibert had a strong conference tournament that nearly saw him qualify for NCAAs.

Titus placed fourth at Super 32 in October, then won the Walsh Jesuit Ironman in December. He continued his strong season with a title at Eastern States in what proved to be a tremendously important junior year. He has an excellent Jonesy tilt and trains with past NCAA champ and current MMA fighter Gregor Gillespie.

Heath

Postby Heath » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:41 am

Any coach needs at least five years to turn it around. Maybe longer in wrestling with the grey shirts, red shirts, oly shirts, it'd have to be tough. Seems like Flynn is doing a great job right now. Also have to give Adam's credit with his big season. Even Flynn said he could be a program changing type guy. Hopefully he joins the staff to coach the upper weights when it's all said and done.

I can't imagine we get many pa champs who have a big 10 offer for just as much money. In wrestling they're just on another level.
They suck at football tho lol

Return to “Collegiate”