Northeast Duels

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
duckunder

Northeast Duels

Postby duckunder » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:12 pm

Not A good Day In My Opinion.Had some good wins.Would Love To See More people get Involved In this Message Board And Get Behind this Team.Team Needs More support from fans other than Me.Thanks

dunbar76

Re: Northeast Duels

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:05 pm

Massive changes usually don't happen over night. I'm saddened there is not another home match for a while.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:07 pm

No home matches in December and January kinda stinks, bad.

masonbailey

Postby masonbailey » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:54 pm

I understand home duals are good...but the tourneys they go to (Vegas, Va Duals, Navy Classic, etc) are preparing them for the national tournament. At Navy we only had a few duals a year (only a couple home). Everything is practice for NCAAs. Patience Slick! They've got more support this year than they have in years!!

February you get to see them a good bit!

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:55 pm

I'm behind them 100%. Big changes don't happen overnight. I just want to see them!!!!! I attend most home matches.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:59 pm

I want to see 7000-10,000 in the facility in a few years and wooping up on an Iowa State or a Penn State!!!

Spladle123

Postby Spladle123 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:12 pm

I think that is wishful thinking

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:27 pm

Appy St. football knocking off Michigan at the Big House several years ago...1980 Winter Olympics USA beating Russia in Hockey..... Many other examples of people preparing, dreaming big, and believing. No reason this can't happen either.

Frank Stein

Postby Frank Stein » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:58 am

It looks like Sammie is going to turn it around. You watch the flo visit video and it's obvious there has been a huge culture change. If they want 7000 people in the stands they are going to have to recruit WV guys. I know that you have to go after national talent and I agree with that. You want to win you have to get the best. But they do need to go hard after the WV guys that have D1 talent. There are a few in this state. And I'm not talking about you can walk on with the promise scholarship BS either. It's good to see Jake Smith in the line up. I'm a true WVU fan and even though Jake did not wrestle for my high school, I'm still more interested in WVU wrestling because he is in the lineup. I'm sure most if the guys on here feel the same. If you're a WV guy and you go D1 I instantly become a fan of that team no matter what high school you attended.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:51 pm

If we start wooping people on a regular basis, I don't think the WV fan base will care much where they come from. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more WV guys in the lineup, but not necessary.

grapple158

Postby grapple158 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:04 pm

WVU can't compete at a high level and have a large contingent of WV talent; you have to choose one or the other. It is very common for an athlete to register first and then over a year or two earn a scholarship.
It is great to see the WV guys when they can do it (like Smith), but they are few and far between. Most WV state champions, even multiple winners, can't compete even at the D2 level successfully. Look at the WVU freshman starter (Moisey) at 125 and compare him to the 2X champ from North Marion that is making his attempt. There really is no comparison in talent level there, and the NM kid is a very good wrestler and an even better kid.

duckunder

Postby duckunder » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:21 am

I agree With Dunbar. Never Seen A Team SAM Coached That far down In Rankings.He always find someone to step up.It is early and they are some guys coming around.Just need A little more Consistency.

Matofficial

Postby Matofficial » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:58 am

Grapple, Year after year you are probably right on the WV talent due to other states populations compared to WV. There have been classes that graduated from WV that could have gone to WVU started and competed at the top. The 2012 class for example had several kids that could have started for WVU and would be one of the top schools. That group of kids traveled together and wrestled to top five finishes most every tournament they went to. In addition they all placed very high in individual tournaments. Most of these kids never even got a letter from WVU. My theory was always that this group was at a disadvantage because the really good kids always had better practice partners and coaches. They traveled far less distances to practice with the good kids. A good example was Eric Burnett's room. That is a 3 1/2 hors from Parkersburg. For the local kids it may have been 35 or 40 minutes. Just think of the advantage if our kids could have done that 3 or 4 times per week as opposed to one per week or every other week. I believe we have kids that are just as good if the coaches take the time to develop their talent. Living close to your school is also an advantage allowing the kids to see their families more often.

grapple158

Postby grapple158 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:59 pm

Matofficial, I agree with most of what you said. I've always argued that WV wrestling, when compared on a per capita basis, compares favorably with other states. The population is the first determinant. But competition is not on a per capita basis.
The 2012 AAA state champions had 5 seniors, I think, and at least 2 of those went to D1 programs but did not stay. I can't speak to why that is....maybe if they had been closer to home they could have finished and been successful. But the fact remains few WV wrestlers compete at D1 or D2 for a whole career. I can think of two Ohio high school wrestlers that competed at the collegiate D2 level that never even qualified for their high school state tournament but were D2 national champions!
If I can drive to say, Columbus, Ohio, and speak to more prospects than over the whole state of WV, shouldn't I? I guarantee the football coaches will.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:46 pm

If they come from Russia, I don't care if they are winning and loving WVU.

masonbailey

Postby masonbailey » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:51 pm

No one is saying that the entire state of WV wrestling is better than those from PA, OH, or anywhere else in the US. What they are saying (and I would agree with) is that we do have some talented wrestlers who can compete at the D1 level and never got a look from WVU. I can name a handful off the top of my head that are doing big things this year--Arthur, Cottrell, Haught (those three are making waves) and then you have Smith, Wood-captain at Army, etc. I mean, kids do go and compete at the D1 level--more recently it seems like there has been more and more.

Like I said, not everyone can...but we do have some that DESERVE a look. At least show interest. I'm ok with them using the PROMISE because it is a good way to not use a full scholarship. It's what the football team did ("invited walk-on") but would have all of school paid for. I think Coach Henson has done a great job at speaking with local coaches so I think the quality D1 WV wrestlers will finally get looks from our beloved WVU!

Let's go Mountaineers!
And...Go Navy! Beat Army!

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:45 pm

Slightly off topic but i hope marshall develops into a div 1 opportunity. Another team = more in state wrestlers with a chance to fulfill their dream. I think coach Henson will do a good job at wvu. I see nothing wrong with using the promise money as a way to encourage in state kids to help themselves and the team

grapple158

Postby grapple158 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:20 am

Great points! I too want to see the best of WV at our flagship university. I also want the other (now numerous) universities to brim with WV prospects as well. The in-state guys that are offered "invited walk-on" status and Promise scholarships need to not look at that as an insult. It is actually a smart way for a coach to help fill a roster. Perhaps some that went elsewhere and ended up quitting the sport actually shows they maybe knew something?
Some see the writing on the wall and change their goals. Dutton winner Jordan left OU for WLU and M. Smith left Hofstra for WLU and was 2 time AA at D2. The main thing is let's get our kids competing at that next level.
I always had a lot of respect for coach Turnbull and what he did over the years at WVU, although things seemed to turn worse toward the end. (Let's try and remember what the program was like before he came!) Having coach Henson is like getting a young Saban or an Urban Meyer for the football team. Things are going to get better and will be exciting!

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:21 pm

It is definitely going to take some time but I think Coach Henson is changing the mentality and culture of WVU wrestling for the better. WV high school wrestling is getting much better and will continue to grow. We may not have as many wrestlers coming out as in the past but the ones that are push themselves to be the best. All you have to do is look at the offseason tourneys these kids are going to and the amount of them that are competing. Coach Henson is bring in a top 10 recruiting class. When was the last time we could say that about WVU? Also I think our team is improved over last years team. Coach Henson preaches consistency and I think we will see that sooner rather than later.

Return to “Collegiate”