Intermat NCAA Tournament Projections

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Re: Intermat NCAA Tournament Projections

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:39 am

Jon Perkins wrote:I kind of agree with Bearhugger, except the part of it being a "show up and lets see what happens" season. This team is better than that even without Adams and Sullivan. The loss of Noah will not be filled for a few years, but there is 133 pounder on the team this year that will be able to fill Ryan Sullivan's shoes right away, if he doesn't redshirt. This is definitely not a Top 20 team, I believe the tweet that was referred to came from Coach Flynn shortly after the football team lost a close game to Oklahoma. I don't believe that it had anything to with wrestling.

As far as how they will finish as a team; I was unaware that this question was directed at me in an early post but I will take a crack at it. I like most of coach57's picks except for Iowa State, Northern Iowa, and Wyoming. I don't believe that WVU has the fire power to beat these teams, yet. And the Utah Valley will be a close one but I think WVU wins. So my projected Dual record is 11 wins with 7 losses. As far as the conference and national tournaments I would like to see at least 5-6, if not more, with a top 6 finish at the BIG 12's and I would like to see 3 guys make it to the Round of 12 with at least 2 All-Americans. If the team can achieve that then I think that is an improvement over last year. Throughout the year I would like to see more guys ranked in the Top 20, I do believe this year they have the potential to have as many as 7 guys ranked in the Top 20. If that happens then that will definitely be better than last year.

For discussion purposes, who is the projected 133?

Is he a true freshman? If so, what is his greatest high school wrestling accomplishment?

Is he a returning college wrestler? If so, how did he do last season in varsity and open tournaments?

These questions are enough.

On other subjects, I am keeping things simple. If WVU produces 5 or more NCAA qualifiers, then we are heading in the right direction (or the argument becomes more supported). Three or less, then I cannot feel good about the program's path.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Jon Perkins

Re: Intermat NCAA Tournament Projections

Postby Jon Perkins » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:52 pm

I would predict the front runner for the 133 spot would be Jordan Titus. He is a True Freshmen out of New York. He is 2 time state champion and an Ironman Champion. He competed in Flo's Who's Number 1 event and had all american finishes at serval large tournaments across the country. You can find all that stuff in his Bio on the roster page. They have another real good True Freshmen in Davin Rhodes from Ohio. He is a two time state champ and is super tough. I believe that Jordan is probably the best guy in this weight class but I don't predict him to be in the starting lineup. That weight class is the deepest or one of the deepest weight classes with returning all americans and top talent. I think that with the weight class being as loaded as it is, the team might be better off red shirting him for next year where they will get the most benefit from him. There is no sense in redshirting the both of those guys unless one plans on dropping down or moving up next year. These are the two guys I am most excited to watch compete along with Jace Schafer, another NY kid.

The spot may go to Seibert, he is a Senior and has the most experience. I just don't think he has had the consistency that is needed over the last few years. I am sure that some of these questions will be answered when they do their wrestle offs. That is always a good time to get a good look at the new guys. Not to mention the first open tournament where they will take the entire team to compete. That will give a good indication of the guys ready to compete and those who need a red shirt year.

Return to “Collegiate”