WVU vs Ohio U

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

WVU vs Ohio U

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:45 pm

Using Flo Rankings, here are the notes for Saturday's match:

125 WVU's Cardinale is ranked #6. I am not sure when he is going to wrestle.

Ohio University has Honorable Mentions at: 133 and 149.

Ohio's 157 is ranked #24

WVU have Hall ranked #11 at 165.

WVU has Honorable Mention Wolfgram at 285.

Ohio University appears a little tougher than Davidson.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Re: WVU vs Ohio U

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:54 pm

Reference for review:

Clarion 25, Ohio 12
125: Joey Fischer (Clarion) def. Oscar Sanchez (Ohio) SV-1 3-1
133: Gio DiSabato (Ohio) def. Alex Blake (Clarion) Dec. 9-3
141: Seth Koleno (Clarion) def. Kyran Hagan (Ohio) Dec. 6-5
149: Brent Moore (Clarion) def. Alec Hagan (Ohio) Fall 0:57
* - Ohio docked 1 pt. for a mat violation
157: Jordan Slivka (Ohio) def. Kolby Ho (Clarion) Dec. 8-2
165: Cam Pine (Clarion) def. Kamal Adewumi (Ohio) MD 17-4 WV Boy***********
174: Sal Perrine (Ohio) def. John Worthing (Clarion) Dec. 12-5
184: Zayne Lehman (Ohio) def. Ryan Weinzen (Clarion) MD 8-0
197: Will Feldkamp (Clarion) def. Jordan Greer (Ohio) Fall 3:30
285: Austin Chapman (Clarion) def. Jordan Earnest (Ohio) Dec. 4-2 WV Boy****************

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:31 am

Kinda ugly on Sunday

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:50 am

Doyablameme? wrote:Kinda ugly on Sunday

I heard that this morning from another fan close to the team.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:59 am

Is it possible that the guy who said "I have been following them for several years and this team is one of the better teams, if not the best team, they have had in quite some time" was talking about a team other than WVU? Rough day to be a Mountaineer fan. Are you sure we are heading in the right direction?

Ohio Wrestler West Virginia Wrestler Result/

125 #77 Oscar Sanchez #155 Colton Drousias W MD 12 - 3
133 #77 Gio Disabato #84 Garett Lautzenheiser W DEC 5 - 2
141 #37 Kyran Hagan #99 Caleb Rea W FALL 1:41
149 #26 Alec Hagan #65 Brayden Roberts W TF5 16 - 0 6:10
157 #29 Jordan Slivka #67 Alex Hornfeck W DEC 3 - 0
165 #267 Sean O'dwyer #16 Peyton Hall L FALL 2:05
174 #27 Sal Perrine #142 Dennis Robin W DEC 11 - 6
184 #95 Zayne Lehman #29 Anthony Carman W DEC 10 - 3
197 #55 Jordan Greer #124 Jackson Moomau W DEC 6 - 2
285 #92 Jordan Earnest #38 Michael Wolfgram L DEC 12 - 7
Last edited by mscoach57 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:08 am

It indeed was not good. There was a few, and I mean very few, bright spots for me. Other than Hall and Wolfgram winning the only two bright spots for me was Lautzenheiser I thought competed very hard. Like the rest of the team, he needs to get to his offense quicker and more often but he wrestled well for only being a month into his true freshman season. And Anthony Carmon went down 10-0 in the first period and came back in the second and third period and dominated the match on top. He lost 10-3 but had over 2 minutes of riding time.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:30 am

Jon Perkins wrote:It indeed was not good. There was a few, and I mean very few, bright spots for me. Other than Hall and Wolfgram winning the only two bright spots for me was Lautzenheiser I thought competed very hard. Like the rest of the team, he needs to get to his offense quicker and more often but he wrestled well for only being a month into his true freshman season. And Anthony Carmon went down 10-0 in the first period and came back in the second and third period and dominated the match on top. He lost 10-3 but had over 2 minutes of riding time.

John, I am not trying to attack you or offend you, however, you are grasping at straws. The team is NOT doing well. The program is NOT heading in the right direction.

There comes a time when everybody has to face reality.

Over the years, I have talked to a few WVU wrestlers and more WVU wrestler parents. They all could be lying about what they say. The rumors might all be lies. However, the lies and rumors I have heard over the years reflect the results.

Now, the lies and rumors have all been little things. However, its the little things that make the big things happen. The big things are winning duels, qualifying wrestlers for NCAA and perhaps getting one to two All Americans.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:32 am

I missed the dual but found the results.
We got dominated by a mid level MAC school. One of your celebration points is that our 184 avoided losing by major decision to an unranked freshman?
Let that sink in for a second.

Ohio University is not a fully funded program, meaning we have 9.9 scholarships to give and they don't. They still hammered us. Ohio University does not have the facilities that we have. They still hammered us. Ohio University won the Raike recruiting war, so another in state stud is going elsewhere but I remain confident that you will find a reason to blame this on Raike or his parents or the school, but it will have nothing to do with the WVU coaches. Can't blame the RTC or NIL money on this one. We were out coached.

The good news is that we are going to go on a winning streak in December we are favored over
Glenville
VMI
Cleveland St
Chattanooga

All will be well in Morgantown by the end of December. 4 match winning streak will have people saying
"I have been following them for several years and this team is one of the better teams, if not the best team, they have had in quite some time."

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:15 pm

You just seem like a "Glass half full" kinda guy.

I did indeed say, "I have been following them for several years and this team is one of the better teams, if not the best team, they have had in quite some time."

Please point out the part of that sentence that says they are a good team. Reading comprehension is a very important part of a public forum that involves reading. This is a team that has a few really tough guys and a few guys that are getting better. It is not a team that is going to set the world on fire.

As far as our 184 pounder not getting majored by an unranked freshman, he made two mistakes in the first period that cost him 8 near fall points. After that he wrestled very well, but you wouldn't know you were not there you just like to speculate while sitting at your grinding wheel.

P.S. I am willing to bet that if you actually posted your real name on here the coaching staff could find your phone number easier to possibly add you to the recruiting team. Fat chance of either one happening

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:57 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:You just seem like a "Glass half full" kinda guy.

I did indeed say, "I have been following them for several years and this team is one of the better teams, if not the best team, they have had in quite some time."

Please point out the part of that sentence that says they are a good team. Reading comprehension is a very important part of a public forum that involves reading. This is a team that has a few really tough guys and a few guys that are getting better. It is not a team that is going to set the world on fire.

As far as our 184 pounder not getting majored by an unranked freshman, he made two mistakes in the first period that cost him 8 near fall points. After that he wrestled very well, but you wouldn't know you were not there you just like to speculate while sitting at your grinding wheel.

P.S. I am willing to bet that if you actually posted your real name on here the coaching staff could find your phone number easier to possibly add you to the recruiting team. Fat chance of either one happening

I don’t know a thing about recruiting but I can only imagine how difficult it must be, however that being said, the team looked overmatched by a MAC team. I don’t see how anyway can think WVU is headed in the right direction.

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:14 pm

I watched the match. I agree that Carmen got in trouble quick but did look impressive in the 2nd and 3rd period. Rea also seemed like he was going to do decent but got caught when he attempted a throw. Hall and Wolfgram looked good and seemed to be the only 2 who had any gas in the tank. It was definitely an embarrassing duel.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:24 pm

They were over matched yesterday. Keep watching, we are only a month into the season.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:26 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:They were over matched yesterday. Keep watching, we are only a month into the season.

Are you implying WVU is going to get better and perform better while the level of competition gets stronger?

Or are you implying that it is only going to get worse?

All teams are operating under the same 365 day a year plan.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:32 pm

He’s difficult to understand but I think he’s saying that we will look good against Glenville, Cleveland St, Chattanooga & VMI.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:16 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:You just seem like a "Glass half full" kinda guy.

If we are talking about beer being in this glass, greater than 58% will say "THE GLASS IS HALF EMPTY". If we are talking about a protein shake, 80% will say the glass if half full.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:28 pm

mscoach57 wrote:I missed the dual but found the results.
We got dominated by a mid level MAC school. One of your celebration points is that our 184 avoided losing by major decision to an unranked freshman?
Let that sink in for a second.

Ohio University is not a fully funded program, meaning we have 9.9 scholarships to give and they don't. They still hammered us. Ohio University does not have the facilities that we have. They still hammered us. Ohio University won the Raike recruiting war, so another in state stud is going elsewhere but I remain confident that you will find a reason to blame this on Raike or his parents or the school, but it will have nothing to do with the WVU coaches. Can't blame the RTC or NIL money on this one. We were out coached.

The good news is that we are going to go on a winning streak in December we are favored over
Glenville
VMI
Cleveland St
Chattanooga

All will be well in Morgantown by the end of December. 4 match winning streak will have people saying
"I have been following them for several years and this team is one of the better teams, if not the best team, they have had in quite some time."

Does anybody know how many scholarships Ohio has if not 9.9?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:30 pm

armyscot0873 wrote:I watched the match. I agree that Carmen got in trouble quick but did look impressive in the 2nd and 3rd period. Rea also seemed like he was going to do decent but got caught when he attempted a throw. Hall and Wolfgram looked good and seemed to be the only 2 who had any gas in the tank. It was definitely an embarrassing duel.

I have a good gas tank story but it will be in a separate discussion topic pertaining to Davidson.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:49 pm

Post by Jon Perkins » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:24 pm

They were over matched yesterday. Keep watching, we are only a month into the season.

by mscoach57 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:32 pm

He’s difficult to understand but I think he’s saying that we will look good against Glenville, Cleveland St, Chattanooga & VMI.

I can not reiterate this enough, reading comprehension is very important for a public forum that involves reading. How is my post difficult to understand? Is it because it is a fragmented sentence? (That is a sentence with no subject or predicate) Sorry for the bad grammer. Aside from that it is fairly easy to understand. WVU was clearly overmatched in a dual meet and got beat. However that is not the end of the story and it is not the end of the season so lets keep watching and see what happens because we are only one month into the season. Nowhere in that post did I mention any other Colleges or Universities so please don't imply that I did. And if you need me to explain what a predicate is just send me a private message, it will be way less embarrassing that way.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:57 pm

I have read the above discussion and did not attend the match (thank goodness). I know and like Anthony Carman and his family, but have two comments regarding the commentary about his match. First off, how does one make two mistakes and give up 8 points in near fall points? Did he tap out of both of them? In any case, if that happened I'm sure Anthony would be the first to say it was not one of his better showings. Secondly, if he got at least one of his points from riding time over the last 2 periods, and was losing by almost 10 points and apparently without being able to score any near fall points ..... what kind of dominating strategy was it to ride a guy to defeat. I'm guessing his opponent was happy to wrestle on bottom for all this time without fear of having to defend repeatedly against takedowns and possibly lose the match. Please enlighten me if you were actually there.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:47 pm

KDunbar wrote:I have read the above discussion and did not attend the match (thank goodness). I know and like Anthony Carman and his family, but have two comments regarding the commentary about his match. First off, how does one make two mistakes and give up 8 points in near fall points? Did he tap out of both of them? In any case, if that happened I'm sure Anthony would be the first to say it was not one of his better showings. Secondly, if he got at least one of his points from riding time over the last 2 periods, and was losing by almost 10 points and apparently without being able to score any near fall points ..... what kind of dominating strategy was it to ride a guy to defeat. I'm guessing his opponent was happy to wrestle on bottom for all this time without fear of having to defend repeatedly against takedowns and possibly lose the match. Please enlighten me if you were actually there.

When WVU's PROGRAM beats Ohio's PROGRAM 36 to 3 and the eleven months later, Ohio's PROGRAM beats WVU's PROGRAM 30 to 9, there isn't anything to enlighten anybody about. If you take Hall 165 out of the equation, all other weight classes performed worse than they did in January.

Its time to focus on Glenville State.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:51 am

KDunbar wrote:I have read the above discussion and did not attend the match (thank goodness). I know and like Anthony Carman and his family, but have two comments regarding the commentary about his match. First off, how does one make two mistakes and give up 8 points in near fall points? Did he tap out of both of them? In any case, if that happened I'm sure Anthony would be the first to say it was not one of his better showings. Secondly, if he got at least one of his points from riding time over the last 2 periods, and was losing by almost 10 points and apparently without being able to score any near fall points ..... what kind of dominating strategy was it to ride a guy to defeat. I'm guessing his opponent was happy to wrestle on bottom for all this time without fear of having to defend repeatedly against takedowns and possibly lose the match. Please enlighten me if you were actually there.

I was there but cannot recall the exact scoring .. I do remember the OU kid got up early and then was rode for a considerable time.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:00 am

For Ohio to get 10 points in the first my guess would be a takedown and 2 sets of 4 back points. Near fall is scored differently in college than high school.
High school scoring 2 swipes = 2 or 5 swipes = 3 points.
College 2 swipes = 2 points or 4 swipes = 4 points.

I agree with you that it would be an odd strategy for our wrestler and coaches to choose to ride the 2nd and 3rd periods to get one point if it was obvious that we couldn’t score some near fall of our own. Better to get the one minute and then take our chances in neutral. Maybe even try feet to back if our guys were more comfortable with freestyle and greco.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:05 pm

Who said this would be the best wvu in a long time?? This team is bad. Could we seriously not find a transfer anywhere for 197?

It’s a shame cause is everyone comes back this year then we’re a pretty descent dual team. With Adams and Sullivan gone and Cardinale I’m assuming hurt whew we’re bad.

Where is Sullivan? Is he in the portal or what? You would think he would be highly sought after.

Why isn’t Lautz redshirting? Might as well wrestle a Titus at 133 then.

Why is Hornfeck starting 157?! We know what he is. A sub .500 wrestler. Where’s Dowling or is he hurt as well?

Can we go back in time and throw all kinds of money at Askren to be the HC? Can you imagine O’Toole at 157 and Hall at 165. Plus all the other kids he’s coached. Keckeisen at 184. One can always dream.
I haven’t lost faith in Flynn but it’s going to take him a longgg time to turn this thing around. We should be much better by now.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:07 pm

This website had some issues at least for me. Sometimes it’s damn near impossible to comment on here. I go to submit and it keeps asking me to sign in. I do then go to comment and I just keep going in a circle.
Plus whoever’s running the tech support email address never answers lol.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:13 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
Jon Perkins wrote:It indeed was not good. There was a few, and I mean very few, bright spots for me. Other than Hall and Wolfgram winning the only two bright spots for me was Lautzenheiser I thought competed very hard. Like the rest of the team, he needs to get to his offense quicker and more often but he wrestled well for only being a month into his true freshman season. And Anthony Carmon went down 10-0 in the first period and came back in the second and third period and dominated the match on top. He lost 10-3 but had over 2 minutes of riding time.

John, I am not trying to attack you or offend you, however, you are grasping at straws. The team is NOT doing well. The program is NOT heading in the right direction.

There comes a time when everybody has to face reality.

Over the years, I have talked to a few WVU wrestlers and more WVU wrestler parents. They all could be lying about what they say. The rumors might all be lies. However, the lies and rumors I have heard over the years reflect the results.

Now, the lies and rumors have all been little things. However, its the little things that make the big things happen. The big things are winning duels, qualifying wrestlers for NCAA and perhaps getting one to two All Americans.

So what are the rumors this year? Obviously the team is in for a horrible season. Anyone with half a brain knew that when Amos not only didn’t use his extra year, he didn’t even comeback for his rsSR year. Then Sullivan disappearing pretty much destroyed any descent dual season we could of had this year.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:36 pm

Letsgooo wrote:Who said this would be the best wvu in a long time?? John Perkins This team is bad. Could we seriously not find a transfer anywhere for 197? Flynn & Company didn't recruit Amos and ran off Williams.

It’s a shame cause is everyone comes back this year then we’re a pretty descent dual team. With Adams and Sullivan gone and Cardinale I’m assuming hurt whew we’re bad.

Where is Sullivan? Is he in the portal or what? You would think he would be highly sought after. I think Sullivan is done with wrestling.

Why isn’t Lautz redshirting? Great question. If we kept him and Titus on the same eligibility track and one of them can be a 125 then after Cardinale graduates these two lightweights would be a strong 1-2 punch for WVU throughout their careers. Might as well wrestle a Titus at 133 then. Redshirting Titus may be the best thing this staff has done for a wrestler. Saves him a year of eligibility if he transfers.
I hope he doesn't.

Why is Hornfeck starting 157?! We know what he is. A sub .500 wrestler. Where’s Dowling or is he hurt as well? I think someone on here said that Dowling was sick. I hope he is doing better. We joke around on here but injuries and sickness are serious things for these athletes to deal with.

Can we go back in time and throw all kinds of money at Askren to be the HC? At the time Askren was going to be a UFC Champion and was not wanting a HC job. After Jorge rearranged his brain he might be interested. Can you imagine O’Toole at 157 and Hall at 165. They would both be in the discussion of being national champions. Plus all the other kids he’s coached. Keckeisen at 184. One can always dream.
I haven’t lost faith in Flynn but it’s going to take him a longgg time to turn this thing around. We should be much better by now. Almost everyone on here agrees with you
Last edited by mscoach57 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:42 pm

Letsgooo wrote:So what are the rumors this year? Obviously the team is in for a horrible season. Anyone with half a brain knew that when Amos not only didn’t use his extra year, he didn’t even comeback for his rsSR year. Then Sullivan disappearing pretty much destroyed any descent dual season we could of had this year.

I think you meant Adams but yes I think Adams leaving with 2 years of eligibility sends a signal about the state of the program.
Sullivan leaving after qualifying for the NCAA sends a signal.
Karam showing up and deciding before his first semester was half way through that the circus was not how he wanted to spend his time sends a signal.

Remember when Coach Flynn said that he was going to recruit good people and threw shade at the kinds of people that Henson recruited? How's the culture on the team now that they're all Flynn recruits? If Coach Flynn is a better judge of character, why did his own recruits like Sullivan and Karam leave the team ?

Return to “Collegiate”