WVU Transfer

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Jon Perkins

WVU Transfer

Postby Jon Perkins » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:31 pm

I see where WVU picked up a 197-pound recruit out of the transfer portal. Austin Cooley, a sophomore from Pitt, was a top 100 recruit out of Wyoming Seminary in 2019. Just going on that alone I will assume that he is definitely an upgrade to the top end of the line-up. I am curious as to what some of his credentials are, does anyone else have any knowledge of Mr. Cooley?

Bearhugger

Re: WVU Transfer

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:06 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:I see where WVU picked up a 197-pound recruit out of the transfer portal. Austin Cooley, a sophomore from Pitt, was a top 100 recruit out of Wyoming Seminary in 2019. Just going on that alone I will assume that he is definitely an upgrade to the top end of the line-up. I am curious as to what some of his credentials are, does anyone else have any knowledge of Mr. Cooley?

Did this just happen?

Why would a kid enter the transfer portal in the middle of the season?

When is he eligible to get on the WVU mat?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:45 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:I see where WVU picked up a 197-pound recruit out of the transfer portal. Austin Cooley, a sophomore from Pitt, was a top 100 recruit out of Wyoming Seminary in 2019. Just going on that alone I will assume that he is definitely an upgrade to the top end of the line-up. I am curious as to what some of his credentials are, does anyone else have any knowledge of Mr. Cooley?

Try Google

JoeGiovengo

Postby JoeGiovengo » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:13 am

It looks as though this could be a nice pick up. I will save you guys some time doing the research. He was a State champ as a sophomore and then transferred to Wyoming Seminary where he won the Prep Nationals as a Senior.
He redshirted his first year at Pitt and then had a season ending injury as a Redshirt Freshman.
My guess is he couldn’t beat Bonacorsi so he wanted a fresh start. He has at least 3 years of eligibility left.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:14 am

Yesssssss. Any live body is an upgrade for us. He should be immediately eligible as long as Flynn wants to use him. Great job coach.

Now does anyone know what happened to Sullivan ?? He just disappeared lol.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:16 am

It would be soooo nice to get a wyoming sem pipeline going. Even if it’s not their first tier kids lol. They’re amazing.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:19 am

Bearhugger wrote:

Did this just happen?

Why would a kid enter the transfer portal in the middle of the season?

When is he eligible to get on the WVU mat?

A lot of guys transfer after the first semester. Plus with the extra year that’s just another year behind Nino. Was hoping for psu’s Bears lol but I’ll take this. Not really sure if he’s eligible but I wouldn’t see why not with all the other crazy stuff going on in college wrestling.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:33 am

Only issue is he’s been wrestling up at HW this year. So I hope he can still get down to 197 and still feel good. If so then the biggest hole on the team just got filled.

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:31 pm

I don’t think he’s taken the mat yet this year. Nothing showing on wrestlestat. Maybe injured, or else would have gotten in some matches at opens or something.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:53 am

When dealing with transfers, here is what many have said they look at:

1. Coming out of high school, the said wrestler reviewed his options and made his college selection.

2. After 1, 2 or 3 years, the said wrestler decides to transfer out.

3. WHY is he leaving????

WVU picked up Cardinale and he has proven to be a good plan B free agent. WHY did he transfer? Because his school (Old Dominion) ditched wrestling.

WVU picked up Sullivan. WHY did he transfer? He did help WVU for one and only one season. He had more eligibility left.

WVU picked up Karam. WHY did he transfer? It doesn't appear he made it to practice. He didn't make it to wrestle offs.

I do not get excited about any transfer getting picked up. If they are in the transfer portal, it means they are not finding success at their "first choice" program.

Let the discussion begin.

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:05 pm

Every situation is different. Could be academic, family money concerns, want to be closer to home, personality conflicts with coaches/teammates. Dealing with injuries and how the school handled it (not sure if Cooley’s case, but that was 1 of the reasons given why Suriano left PSU). Nowadays, maybe the school’s Covid protocols (many say why Dean left Cornell - not 100% sure). Could be that the wrestler was brought in for a certain weight and then the coach changed their plans, or smaller kids are picked for a specific weight and then their bodies mature beyond their control and no longer have a spot. I’m sure coaches do their best sell job while recruiting, but maybe things weren’t as advertised. Have to look at each wrestler individually, and give them the benefit of the doubt. Being a D1 athlete is a job and I know I’ve had jobs that weren’t as advertised either, and I moved onto a better situation for me.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:27 am

Bearhugger wrote:When dealing with transfers, here is what many have said they look at:

1. Coming out of high school, the said wrestler reviewed his options and made his college selection.

3. WHY is he leaving????

WVU picked up Cardinale and he has proven to be a good plan B free agent. WHY did he transfer? Because his school (Old Dominion) ditched wrestling.

WVU picked up Sullivan. WHY did he transfer? He did help WVU for one and only one season. He had more eligibility left.

WVU picked up Karam. WHY did he transfer? It doesn't appear he made it to practice. He didn't make it to wrestle offs.

I do not get excited about any transfer getting picked up. If they are in the transfer portal, it means they are not finding success at their "first choice" program.

When it comes to 197lbs who cares why. Wvu doesn’t have a descent 197 on the roster. The two freshman coming in don’t project at 197. So we got to take em wherever we can get em right now. Hopefully this guys the answer.

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:52 pm

Letsgooo wrote:
When it comes to 197lbs who cares why. Wvu doesn’t have a descent 197 on the roster. The two freshman coming in don’t project at 197. So we got to take em wherever we can get em right now. Hopefully this guys the answer.

Most definitely. Embrace those joining the team and hopefully they make an impact. Can talk trash if they leave…lol. He has some good credentials as a Prep Nat champion, and fargo AA. I’m going to assume he was injured since he hasn’t wrestled a match yet this year, so whether he takes the mat this season or not, he should have atleast 3 yrs of eligibility for the team.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:45 pm

Letsgooo wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:When dealing with transfers, here is what many have said they look at:

3. WHY is he leaving????

Using your words regarding WVU's 197s on the roster, who was pushing Noah Adams in practice? What was WVU doing in terms of building a team to make Noah the best he could be?

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:18 am

Bearhugger wrote:
Letsgooo wrote:

3. WHY is he leaving????

Using your words regarding WVU's 197s on the roster, who was pushing Noah Adams in practice? What was WVU doing in terms of building a team to make Noah the best he could be?

Depends on what you mean by “pushing”? There’s always practice bodies to roll with. No one on the roster was “pushing” him in terms of competition. There was just simply no one even close to his talent level anywhere close to his weight. Cody Walters would be the best answer I guess.

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:31 am

Hopefully the new addition of the volunteer assistant coach, Muhamad, can push the new 197/upper weights. Assuming if they are trying to build up the “RTC”, Muhamed is filling one of those 6 weight classes, since he was on the U23 world team.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:03 pm

Letsgooo wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
Letsgooo wrote:

Depends on what you mean by “pushing”? There’s always practice bodies to roll with. No one on the roster was “pushing” him in terms of competition. There was just simply no one even close to his talent level anywhere close to his weight. Cody Walters would be the best answer I guess.

I guess what I am trying to say is "Not enough iron to sharpen iron".

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:43 pm

Any word on what is going on with Cooley? Not showing on the roster yet. Are they just slow to update, is he still hurt and won’t be in the lineup this season? Can Bratke give an update? Also what’s the story with Karam?

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:11 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
Letsgooo wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

I agree. Not much Iron for Noah to go up against last year that’s for sure.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:30 pm

JohnK73 wrote:Any word on what is going on with Cooley? Not showing on the roster yet. Are they just slow to update, is he still hurt and won’t be in the lineup this season? Can Bratke give an update? Also what’s the story with Karam?

It could be a staffing issue related problem.

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:05 pm

Looks like coach Flynn is doing some Q/A on Friday. It was on the team’s Facebook page. Hopefully he’ll clear some things up about the transfers

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:34 pm

Flynn posted a video on team’s FB page..said Sullivan and Karam are there, but won’t see them till next year. Said Cooley is coming off an injury, but they are hoping to get him in the lineup in a week or two.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:39 pm

First I’ve heard anything about Sullivan. Will be huge to get him back. Going to interesting how everyone fits in the lineup.

indywvu

Postby indywvu » Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:13 pm

Sullivan will likely battle Rhoads for 141 slot.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:35 pm

Letsgooo wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
Letsgooo wrote:

I agree. Not much Iron for Noah to go up against last year that’s for sure.

Noah is probably smarter than all of us.

Return to “Collegiate”