Wolfram and Amos

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
armyscot0873

Wolfram and Amos

Postby armyscot0873 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:09 pm

Michael Wolfgram gets an at large bid. So WVU qualifies 4. Braxton got an automatic bid placing 10th at the Big 10 championship.

Letsgooo

Re: Wolfram and Amos

Postby Letsgooo » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:55 am

armyscot0873 wrote:Michael Wolfgram gets an at large bid. So WVU qualifies 4. Braxton got an automatic bid placing 10th at the Big 10 championship.

The big 10 has a MAJOR medical forfeit problem. Listening on flow today they had 28 during their tournament while the big 12 had 3 lol. They need to stop announcing how many auto bids that each weight in each conference gets until after the conference tournament. Plus the wrestling was god awful. Sooo many 0-0 first periods. Stall rides out the ass. Horrible edge wrestling. Guys gaming the rules. Just tough to watch. Also the biggest star in college wrestling, Gable, gets forfeited to in the finals. Just crazy.

Anyone see Humphreys get pinned? Lol talk about a quick pin. It was ridiculous. Humphrey should aa. He’s just nasty on top.

Peyton Hall is just so damn good. O’toole is amazing and Hall was right there. Getting closer. Great tournament for Hall. Has a shot at being an AA at a deep weight.

Obvious Cardinale was dominant. He can go with anyone except the big 2 Vito and Suriano and probably not Glory.

Amos obviously needs the push out rule to score. Folk/free are definitely different. I think not being in the college room last year working on folk hurt him. But he won a world title in freestyle lol. So a pretty good trade off. 197 Is super deep but I’d love to see him make a run at NCAA’s.

Happy for Wolfgram and Robin for making the tourney for wvu. Hope for Wolfgrams sake he doesn’t get Gable lol but then in 20 years he could tell his kids he wrestled the Olympic champ.

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:58 am

I agree with you on the BIG 10 medical defaulting so much. I remember it was an issue a couple years ago with seeding since a medical forfeit doesnt count as a loss. If they changed the rule and made it count as a loss you will really cut down to true medical issues. With the rule in place I can understand Cassiopi taking the med forfeit but I dont understand Eierman. Do you just not believe in yourself, or does a Big 10 championship worthless. I watched the ACC and Big 12 and there were very few med forfeits.

I never understood the riding time college. "They" say it shows as you being dominant but most of the time it is just stalling instead of working to actually better your position.

Agree on Hall, Cardinale, and Humphrey.

I think Braxton will get there if he continues to work folkstyle this summer. If you look at the seniors in that weight class their bodies are just superior. He seems a little small for the weight in muscle mass. I know that's not everything but when you are trying to ride someone out it makes a difference.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:49 pm

armyscot0873 wrote:I agree with you on the BIG 10 medical defaulting so much. I remember it was an issue a couple years ago with seeding since a medical forfeit doesnt count as a loss. If they changed the rule and made it count as a loss you will really cut down to true medical issues. With the rule in place I can understand Cassiopi taking the med forfeit but I dont understand Eierman. Do you just not believe in yourself, or does a Big 10 championship worthless. I watched the ACC and Big 12 and there were very few med forfeits.

I never understood the riding time college. "They" say it shows as you being dominant but most of the time it is just stalling instead of working to actually better your position.

Agree on Hall, Cardinale, and Humphrey.

I think Braxton will get there if he continues to work folkstyle this summer. If you look at the seniors in that weight class their bodies are just superior. He seems a little small for the weight in muscle mass. I know that's not everything but when you are trying to ride someone out it makes a difference.

I kind of have a different take on Braxton. I think on the contrary he is too big for the weight class and may struggle with the cut. While it is true that Braxton does not have the physic that most of the other guys have, neither did Ben Askren. He just doesn't have the same body type as the other guys in the weight class. He has always been known for being deceptively strong. Just last year he was winning Jr. world medals where he was wrestling up in weight 15 pounds. I just think he is in between weight classes there to where the 197 pounds might be too much of a pull for him and the bigger guys at HWT would be too big for him to handle. I would be willing to bet no matter what the issue is that he gets it figured out and when he does everyone else will be put on notice.

And NO I am not endorsing another weight class in between 197 and HWT, I personally like the 10 weight classes just as they are.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:21 pm

One thing about Amos is his his legs. His legs are HUGE lol. It’s gonna be tough for him to get as jacked as some of the older 197s in the upper body. Either way I think this year competing will be huge for him. If he spends this off season focusing on folk instead of free and Greco , he’ll be fine. But maybe he just wants to focus on the international styles and is happy with his folk style performance. He is doing well just not to some people crazy expectations.

I have no clue what he should do size wise. I think he could stay at 197, but he’s out quicker a lot. Or he could be a good HW at say 235-240lbs. Then he could cut down to 97kgs for free and Greco. It’ll be interesting what he does when Hilger is gone. If he moves up or not. Either way he’s not really tall for either class but not too short or anything.

Just shows the difference in style tho. You change college from folk to free and he’s definitely in the running for a NC. Especially with Ferrari out.

How about Wisconsin’s true freshman phenom Hamiti. He’s a giant at 165. All gas no breaks. Super fun to watch. I’d like to see him for O’toole or even Hall.

If Peyton beats the 8 seed he’ll have Wick. Who has looked like the best guy at the weight all year. Should be s great experience for him.

Can’t wait until NCAA’s.

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:31 pm

armyscot0873 wrote:I agree with you on the BIG 10 medical defaulting so much…. With the rule in place I can understand Cassiopi taking the med forfeit but I dont understand Eierman. Do you just not believe in yourself, or does a Big 10 championship worthless...

I heard Eierman has a torn ACL, that’s why he MFF’ed.

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:14 pm

JohnK73 wrote:
armyscot0873 wrote:I agree with you on the BIG 10 medical defaulting so much…. With the rule in place I can understand Cassiopi taking the med forfeit but I dont understand Eierman. Do you just not believe in yourself, or does a Big 10 championship worthless...

If that's the case I hope he has enough left in that knee to get him to the finals.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:02 am

He hasn’t looked himself all year. He’s tough tho. I’m rooting for Riveria at 141.

ncref

Postby ncref » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:54 am

Jon Perkins wrote:te="armyscot0873"]

And NO I am not endorsing another weight class in between 197 and HWT, I personally like the 10 weight classes just as they are.

You wouldn't necessarily need to go to 11 weight classes to put one between 197 and 285.

It could look something like this:
125, 133, 141 149, 157, 167, 177, 195, 235, 285

Both HS (220#) and Olympic (96kg) have weight class in that window so it would make sense for college to have one too.

jofus

Postby jofus » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:42 am

As for the extra weight class, I just got back from the NCWA (Club) National Championship, and they have an extra weight class of 235 lbs. Personally, I think it is a positive, you don't have people that are naturally 235ish pounds either giving up 50 pounds to the big boys that are cutting down to 285 or trying to change their entire body to cut 30 pounds or more. NCAA goes from a 13 lb window (184 to 197) to an 88 lb window...that seems a little large to me.

Also, what is wrong with an odd number of weights, it would maybe cut down a little on ties on team duals and going to the criteria, which can get pretty iffy after the first few, imho.

Edit to add....and I think the riding time in college is a positive also, for the record. There aren't many fishes in college wrestling at any level, and you should get some kind of reward if you ride someone for a minute longer than they ride you. I may be biased, since my son was pretty good at wrestling on the mat, top and bottom (man, it feels weird to say "was" in that sentence...)

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:08 am

armyscot0873 wrote:
JohnK73 wrote:

If that's the case I hope he has enough left in that knee to get him to the finals.

“Excuses are for wusses” his teammate after winning NCAA’s with both acl’s tore lol. I wish he was healthy. I think like Gable he’d have a gold medal and going for his 4th title.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:12 pm

Not being able to finish that single leg really hurt vs Bastida. Crap

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:00 am

ncref wrote:
Jon Perkins wrote:te="armyscot0873"]

You wouldn't necessarily need to go to 11 weight classes to put one between 197 and 285.

It could look something like this:
125, 133, 141 149, 157, 167, 177, 195, 235, 285

Both HS (220#) and Olympic (96kg) have weight class in that window so it would make sense for college to have one too.

10 weight classes or 11 weight classes, the gap between 197 and 285 needs to be fixed.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Return to “Collegiate”