Michael Beard in the portal

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Letsgooo

Michael Beard in the portal

Postby Letsgooo » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:10 am

Now this is the type of guy we need at one of the EXACT weights we need. Would be huge but everyone will want him.

Jon Perkins

Re: Michael Beard in the portal

Postby Jon Perkins » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:37 pm

Michael Beard is going to make some team a very good 197 pound wrestler but getting him in Morgantown is probably a very slim chance. However, there is another good wrestler that just entered the transfer portal that WVU would have a realistic chance of getting to Morgantown and that is Garrett Nijenhuis. His home town is not too far away and after wrestling for AJ Schopp, at Purdue, he is somewhat familiar with Tim Flynn's coaching style. This would be a great addition to the top end of the lineup. I don't know if WVU would even be on his radar but seeing where he decides to go is definitely something to watch out for.

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:04 pm

I feel like Beard will end up at another Big10 school to hopefully stick it to PSU.. Both Michigan and Rutgers 197’s were transfers that no longer have any eligibility left.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:53 am

Jon Perkins wrote:Michael Beard is going to make some team a very good 197 pound wrestler but getting him in Morgantown is probably a very slim chance. However, there is another good wrestler that just entered the transfer portal that WVU would have a realistic chance of getting to Morgantown and that is Garrett Nijenhuis. His home town is not too far away and after wrestling for AJ Schopp, at Purdue, he is somewhat familiar with Tim Flynn's coaching style. This would be a great addition to the top end of the lineup. I don't know if WVU would even be on his radar but seeing where he decides to go is definitely something to watch out for.

Am curious … what exactly is “ Tim Flynn’s coaching style” ?

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:17 am

Jon Perkins wrote:Michael Beard is going to make some team a very good 197 pound wrestler but getting him in Morgantown is probably a very slim chance. However, there is another good wrestler that just entered the transfer portal that WVU would have a realistic chance of getting to Morgantown and that is Garrett Nijenhuis. His home town is not too far away and after wrestling for AJ Schopp, at Purdue, he is somewhat familiar with Tim Flynn's coaching style. This would be a great addition to the top end of the lineup. I don't know if WVU would even be on his radar but seeing where he decides to go is definitely something to watch out for.

I agree Beard is a reach. Just wishful thinking. I didn’t know Nijenhuis was in the portal. He would be a nice get at 174. I really like Conley at that weight but I’m assuming he redshirts. The more good guys the better.

Is the Pitt transfer at 197, can’t think of his name, is he in Morgantown? Just haven’t seen him on any roster.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:24 am

Letsgooo wrote:

I agree Beard is a reach. Just wishful thinking. I didn’t know Nijenhuis was in the portal. He would be a nice get at 174. I really like Conley at that weight but I’m assuming he redshirts. The more good guys the better.

Is the Pitt transfer at 197, can’t think of his name, is he in Morgantown? Just haven’t seen him on any roster.

Conley is going to be a good wrestler for the Mountaineers but having Nijenhuis as a practice partner for a couple of years would make both of them better.

The transfer from Pitt is Austin Cooley and he has been on the roster for a couple of months. It’s hard to tell how good he is going to be but he has to be upgrade and will definitely be a good practice partner for the 184 pounders and Wolfgram at HWT.

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:27 pm

It will be interesting to see if Cooley wrestles at U23s. Just looked through flo’s brackets and last year at 97 he defaulted to 8th after getting injured against Gavin Hoffman in Consi’s. Must be the shoulder injury he’s rehabbing from. In 2021 took 7th at 92kg in UWW Juniors. Can watch the matches, looks pretty strong and athletic, but will have to see how the time off the mat impacts him of he does wrestle in June

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Wed May 04, 2022 2:50 pm

Michael Beard committed to Lehigh University.

Return to “Collegiate”