Oklahoma Road Trip

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Jon Perkins

Oklahoma Road Trip

Postby Jon Perkins » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:34 am

The first stop is going to be Norman to take on the Sooners and call me crazy, but I like the way WVU matches up with Oklahoma.

WVU will be more heavily favored at 125 and 165 and I believe slightly favored at 157 and 197 (if Cooley is back). While Oklahoma will be more heavily favored at 149 and 174 and I believe to be slightly favored at 133, 141, 184, and HWT. If the Mountaineers can win all four of the matchups I think they are favored in and win at least one of the other tightly contested matchups, then they could pull off another upset over a big team. However, if they don't show up and lose all the tightly contested matchups then the score is going to get out of hand quickly.

I feel there are two weight classes that could determine the outcome and those weights are 141 and HWT. Jordan Titus had a rough start to the year with a knee injury in the first two minutes of the first match of the year, but he has been moving much better the last couple of weeks and when he is healthy he is as fast as anyone and very capable of beating Mosha Swartz. And in the HWT match Wolfgram split close wins with Heindselman of Oklahoma last year, so this match could be a toss up as well.

JohnK73

Re: Oklahoma Road Trip

Postby JohnK73 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:31 am

Tough match. Moore head-butting Hillegas, and causing a medical forfeit was the deciding factor, unfortunately. Needed the win at 184 to bring it within 3 points, and think Cooley could have easily gotten a major, if was looking for that and not having to get a pin to tie the match.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:55 pm

I was unable to watch the match because I do not subscribe to the app that was showing it, so I was wondering about Hillegas and why he had to medically forfeit out. If he was unable to continue due to concussion protocol, I wonder how that will affect the match on Sunday against OK State. The good news is that this injury is something he will come back from quickly and was not a knee injury that would keep him out for a while or the rest of the season.

I knew this would be a tough duel for them but was very much winnable if they could win a few of the toss up matches. Giving up the 3 bonus points to a medical forfeit really put them behind the eight ball and losing all three matches at 141, 157, and 184 sealed the deal for Oklahoma. It shows how critical every point is and how detrimental bonus points can be. A win here would have been really good for the Mountaineers because the next three duel matches certainly do not get any easier for them.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:22 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:The first stop is going to be Norman to take on the Sooners and call me crazy, but I like the way WVU matches up with Oklahoma.

WVU will be more heavily favored at 125 and 165 and I believe slightly favored at 157 and 197 (if Cooley is back). While Oklahoma will be more heavily favored at 149 and 174 and I believe to be slightly favored at 133, 141, 184, and HWT. If the Mountaineers can win all four of the matchups I think they are favored in and win at least one of the other tightly contested matchups, then they could pull off another upset over a big team. However, if they don't show up and lose all the tightly contested matchups then the score is going to get out of hand quickly.

I feel there are two weight classes that could determine the outcome and those weights are 141 and HWT. Jordan Titus had a rough start to the year with a knee injury in the first two minutes of the first match of the year, but he has been moving much better the last couple of weeks and when he is healthy he is as fast as anyone and very capable of beating Mosha Swartz. And in the HWT match Wolfgram split close wins with Heindselman of Oklahoma last year, so this match could be a toss up as well.

Ok , you are crazy

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:01 pm

Doyablameme? wrote:
Jon Perkins wrote:The first stop is going to be Norman to take on the Sooners and call me crazy, but I like the way WVU matches up with Oklahoma.

Ok , you are crazy

I don't understand, from reading the match results it seems the above assessment was pretty much right on.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:15 pm

I think this was his blunt sense of humor. In my post I said, "Call me crazy" and that is what he was doing.

One last thought about this dual. If WVU could have pulled off a win at 157 or 184, then I believe they would have won the dual on the criteria of having won the most matches of the dual. The loss at 157 was an Overtime loss and Carman was in on a leg and gave up the takedown with 2 seconds left. They missed winning the dual by just a hair. No sense in crying over spilt milk in Norman, it is off to Stillwater for a duel later today where there will be plenty of opportunities for the guys to pick up some ranked wins. Good luck to the Mountaineers today!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:01 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:I think this was his blunt sense of humor. In my post I said, "Call me crazy" and that is what he was doing.

One last thought about this dual. If WVU could have pulled off a win at 157 or 184, then I believe they would have won the dual on the criteria of having won the most matches of the dual. The loss at 157 was an Overtime loss and Carman was in on a leg and gave up the takedown with 2 seconds left. They missed winning the dual by just a hair. No sense in crying over spilt milk in Norman, it is off to Stillwater for a duel later today where there will be plenty of opportunities for the guys to pick up some ranked wins. Good luck to the Mountaineers today!

Sorry, I was reading only the important parts. Well. in that case, I also will grant your wish, you are crazy.

Return to “Collegiate”