High School freshman wins Edinboro Open

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aacoach61

High School freshman wins Edinboro Open

Postby aacoach61 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:24 pm

From the Tribune-Democrat. This would be a nice WVU recruit in a few years.

EDINBORO – Competing against collegiate wrestlers, Bishop McCort Catholic freshman Jax Forrest captured the title at 125 pounds during Sunday’s Edinboro Open at PennWest Edinboro.

Forrest mowed down unaffiliated Gannon wrestler Zach Bellissimo by technical fall in 2:38, outscoring him 21-5 to open. He then notched a major decision victory over Ohio State’s Andre Gozales in the quarters and a 21-3 tech fall win over Michigan State’s Nick Corday in the semifinals.

Forrest finished the day by pinning unattached Ohio State wrestler Brendan McCrone in 44 seconds to top the podium.

KDunbar

Re: High School freshman wins Edinboro Open

Postby KDunbar » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:47 pm

aacoach61 wrote:From the Tribune-Democrat. This would be a nice WVU recruit in a few years.

EDINBORO – Competing against collegiate wrestlers, Bishop McCort Catholic freshman Jax Forrest captured the title at 125 pounds during Sunday’s Edinboro Open at PennWest Edinboro.

Forrest mowed down unaffiliated Gannon wrestler Zach Bellissimo by technical fall in 2:38, outscoring him 21-5 to open. He then notched a major decision victory over Ohio State’s Andre Gozales in the quarters and a 21-3 tech fall win over Michigan State’s Nick Corday in the semifinals.

Forrest finished the day by pinning unattached Ohio State wrestler Brendan McCrone in 44 seconds to top the podium.

He's actually on a whole team of freshmen and sophomores that are top notch. I believe both he and his practice partner at 120 are ranked number one in the nation. The 120 won both Ironman and Powerade while Forrest was second at Ironman and then avenged that lone loss in the finals at Powerade. Both were at the Barnesville open, and naturally won that event also. It would be quite a feat if anyone from their team could be recruited to WVU.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:48 pm

Jax Forrest is an unbelievable High School talent along with his teammate Bo Bassitt. Jax has wrestled in several college opens this year and has faired very well. Since all of the national HS tournaments are over, Bo has decided to concentrate efforts on training freestyle and going to the Olympic Training Center when he can. Any university will be lucky to have either of these guys on their team, and any of their teammates from Bishop McCourt will make for very good recruits as well.

Mason Gibson from Bishop McCourt has switched his college commitment from Cornell to Penn State. I would think that might make PSU the front runners for now. A lot can happen in the next three years and who knows what their weights will be like and where they fit in to certain lineups. Whatever weight they would end up being, I am sure Flynn and company could find a spot for them in Morgantown.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:09 am

Their high school is ineligible from competing in PA state championships. There was a big stink about it for “recruiting”. So other than the big national tournaments they’ve had nothing to do but focus on freestyle. Forrest and Bassett are both studs but they’re the age of your average HS jr. Obviously still very good. Bassett won a gold medal last year. His national team teammate was psu starting 157lber freshman Levi Haines lol

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:22 am

aacoach61 wrote:From the Tribune-Democrat. This would be a nice WVU recruit in a few years.

Wonder how old he is ?

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:27 am

I found a video of him wrestling in the 16-U division in July of 2021. I think it is safe to assume that he would have been 15 years old at that time. If this is the case, he would be at least 16 years now, which is only one year older than most everyone in his grade. He could have started school a year later than most kids or just got held back a year for a list of various reasons. But if he was indeed 16 in July of 2021 that would make him 17 now and two years ahead of everyone else in his class. I am not exactly sure where I have heard it, maybe on here, but I have heard that he and his teammate Bo Bassett are both the same age as most juniors in high school. I personally have never seen the kids birth certificate, so I don't know for sure how old he is, but I do know that he is going to be powerful force in the sport of wrestling for the next several years.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:26 am

Jon Perkins wrote:I found a video of him wrestling in the 16-U division in July of 2021. I think it is safe to assume that he would have been 15 years old at that time. If this is the case, he would be at least 16 years now, which is only one year older than most everyone in his grade. He could have started school a year later than most kids or just got held back a year for a list of various reasons. But if he was indeed 16 in July of 2021 that would make him 17 now and two years ahead of everyone else in his class. I am not exactly sure where I have heard it, maybe on here, but I have heard that he and his teammate Bo Bassett are both the same age as most juniors in high school. I personally have never seen the kids birth certificate, so I don't know for sure how old he is, but I do know that he is going to be powerful force in the sport of wrestling for the next several years.

Well you are speculating but if he is roughly the same age as a HS junior then touting him as a freshman is misleading.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:12 am

Doyablameme? wrote:
Jon Perkins wrote:I found a video of him wrestling in the 16-U division in July of 2021. I think it is safe to assume that he would have been 15 years old at that time. If this is the case, he would be at least 16 years now, which is only one year older than most everyone in his grade. He could have started school a year later than most kids or just got held back a year for a list of various reasons. But if he was indeed 16 in July of 2021 that would make him 17 now and two years ahead of everyone else in his class. I am not exactly sure where I have heard it, maybe on here, but I have heard that he and his teammate Bo Bassett are both the same age as most juniors in high school. I personally have never seen the kids birth certificate, so I don't know for sure how old he is, but I do know that he is going to be powerful force in the sport of wrestling for the next several years.

Well you are speculating but if he is roughly the same age as a HS junior then touting him as a freshman is misleading.

If he was 15 in June or July of 2021, that would actually make him quickly approaching 17 in about 4 months or less. That would be the average Junior I would think and that was what was said or speculated in a post above. However, I don't think he is being incorrectly touted as a freshman, as he is a freshman in the school he attends. Just older than the average freshman. I'm guessing the originator of this post was merely referencing that information which was available to him, as was I in referencing him and his other teammates. Either way, they are still very, very good.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:00 pm

KDunbar wrote:
Doyablameme? wrote:

If he was 15 in June or July of 2021, that would actually make him quickly approaching 17 in about 4 months or less. That would be the average Junior I would think and that was what was said or speculated in a post above. However, I don't think he is being incorrectly touted as a freshman, as he is a freshman in the school he attends. Just older than the average freshman. I'm guessing the originator of this post was merely referencing that information which was available to him, as was I in referencing him and his other teammates. Either way, they are still very, very good.

Heck Ken he could be 20 years old , like that PHS kid about 10 years ago.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:37 pm

Doyablameme? wrote:
KDunbar wrote:
Doyablameme? wrote:

Heck Ken he could be 20 years old , like that PHS kid about 10 years ago.

Well, he will possibly be 20 years old by the time he is a senior. But since Bishop McCourt is a private school, I believe, he might end up entering the "transfer portal" before that time.

Return to “Collegiate”