Big 12 Allocations

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Jon Perkins

Big 12 Allocations

Postby Jon Perkins » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:17 pm

The allocations are out for the automatic qualifiers in each weight class from each of the conference tournaments coming up next weekend.

At 125: Killian should easily qualify, let's hope he wrestles a full tournament and earns a Big 12 Championship and a good seed for the NCAA's.
133: Only the top 5 automatically advance; Although I am big fan of Davin Rhoads and think this kid has a huge upside, it will take a major
performance that we just haven't seen out of him this year.
141-157: Each weight is taking the top 7 which means Jordan Titus, Sam Hillegas, and Alex Hornfeck will all have to have at least two wins over
ranked opponents. This isn't the tallest task for any of them to pull off, so let's hope a few things go their way and each of them can earn their
spot into the national tournament.
165: For my money this is easily the best weight class to watch. Peyton Hall will have David Carr, Keegan O'Toole, and Mikey Caliendo to contend
with, the matches between all four of these guys will be straight up fire to watch.
174: They are taking the Top 6 at this weight and with not many ranked wins on the season, Scott Joll will probably have to wrestle his way into
the tournament. I think he can do it but it will be a tall task.
184: They are only taking the top 4. Carman has been ranked in the top 30 most of the year and has a few wins over ranked opponents, so if he
can't fight his way to a top 4 finish, hopefully he can earn an at-large spot.
197: Top 6 automatically qualify. I think Cooley can squeeze into that Top 6; if not, hopefully he has built his resume up throughout the year to
earn an at-large spot.
HWT: They are taking the top 8 here, I think Wolfgram will finish in there somewhere.

Let's hope they all have a good tournament and put on a good showing.

armyscot0873

Re: Big 12 Allocations

Postby armyscot0873 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:55 pm

WVU Seeds for Big 12
Cardinale-1
Hall-4
Wolfgram-5
Titus, Hillegas, Horfeck, Joll, Carman, and Cooley-8 These guys have some work to do, especially Carman (Big 12 only has 4 automatics at 184).

The way each has wrestled in some matches this year I believe they can pull off some real upsets.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:36 pm

Carman is very doubtful for an automatic qualifying spot but stands a chance of getting an at-large bid. I think they stand a good chance or having 4 or possibly five automatic qualifiers.

One thing for sure, it is going to be a busy weekend keeping up with the Big 10 and Big 12 tournaments.

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:19 pm

I see Cardinale, Hall, and Wolfgram qualifying for sure. Titus, Hornfeck, and Joll will be close. Carman is hard to figure out, sometimes his wrestling looks great and other times not so much. Hopefully Hillegas and Cooley are closer to being healthy again. They were both on a roll until Hillegas got a concussion against OK and Cooley got injured at midlands, came back and then either hurt his ribs or chest in the Iowa State match. Both have the talent to make some noise when healthy.

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:50 pm

My predictions for AQs coming out of Big 12 tournament:

Cardinale
Titus
Hornfeck
Hall
Wolfgram

If Carmen finishes 5th, I think he will get an at large invite.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:59 pm

Wowie at 165 when Peyton Hall is a #4 seed. Watching those 4 will definitely be the high spot of the Big 12 tourney.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:43 pm

Hornfeck always does this. Why is Dowling not wrestling instead. Next year, hopefully with him in the lineup, bump up Joll to take 184. Just need some transfer lightweights.

Return to “Collegiate”