WVU 2024

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Re: WVU 2024

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:53 am

KDunbar wrote:This may seem like a dumb question, but if the college wrestling season is essentially from October through March, or 6 months, then what does the coach get paid to do with the wrestlers for the other 50% of the year that they're getting paid for. And please don't say recruiting or fundraising.

I suggest digging up NIL opportunities for wrestlers. Perhaps Tudors could create a biscuit called "Flynn". A certain percentage of the earnings could go toward the wrestling team.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:29 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
KDunbar wrote:This may seem like a dumb question, but if the college wrestling season is essentially from October through March, or 6 months, then what does the coach get paid to do with the wrestlers for the other 50% of the year that they're getting paid for. And please don't say recruiting or fundraising.

I suggest digging up NIL opportunities for wrestlers. Perhaps Tudors could create a biscuit called "Flynn". A certain percentage of the earnings could go toward the wrestling team.

This would be a great advertising opportunity for the Bear Tracks Corporation. Who would one contact from your headquarters and what is the best way to make contact: by phone or email? Only kidding of course but yes you are correct; this could potentially be one of the things they do. We don't know that they are or are not already doing this and we don't know if it is legal for a coach to set these opportunities up for their athletes.

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:46 pm

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:57 pm

armyscot0873 wrote:New heavyweight commit from PA.

http://www.pa-wrestling.com/hs/teams/ge ... ?id=165217

Summers of Bridgeport is headed to Glenville. He will take this guy out.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:18 pm

Bearhugger wrote:I suggest digging up NIL opportunities for wrestlers. Perhaps Tudors could create a biscuit called "Flynn". A certain percentage of the earnings could go toward the wrestling team.

Tudor's already has a Biscuit full of Bologna called the Politician.

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:26 am

Tudors actually has an NIL deal with the offensive line for the football team. So sponsoring the heavyweight would fit in that realm.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:25 pm

armyscot0873 wrote:Tudors actually has an NIL deal with the offensive line for the football team. So sponsoring the heavyweight would fit in that realm.

I suppose they can always use that for an excuse when they get called with a false starting penalty. They can tell the coach that it wasn't their fault, they had eaten a gut grenade from the Tudors before the game and the gas bubble knocked them off balance.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:46 am

Jon Perkins wrote:These are all good points and I will not argue with any of them. This was the purpose of my post, what does this coaching staff have to do to gain local fan support in order to raise the funds necessary to further the program. From what I have seen is the few fundraising opportunities they have do not gain as much traction as they should. The one thing this staff does, that I like, is that every year they put on two day clinic for coaches. Every team in the state from Youth teams to HS teams should send at least one coach to this function. There is always something new to learn and these are actual professional coaches to learn from. As far as the golf tournament, I agree the golf course is not that desirable, but that is no reason not to participate if you want to see the team get better. I don’t spend $5 for a box of Girl Scout cookies because they taste good, I spend the $5 because it’s a good organization that does good things and it’s just the right thing to do. What other activities would get more people involved? A large BBQ, tailgate party, bingo???

Just when I start to think I can agree with this guy he goes and talks crap on girl scout cookies? Blasphemy. When I walk into Walmart and I see the Girl Scouts at their little table I am making a mental note to have cash for my exit so I can buy a box of thin mints, freeze them and crumble into a milkshake later and kickstart my diabetic coma by hammering a box of Tagalongs before I'm out of the parking lot. Girl Scout cookies are amazing and it has zero to do with the organization. I would buy them if the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Gang were selling them.

Now that I think about it maybe WVU wrestling should start selling cookies? I don't golf but I do like some cookies.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:11 pm

mscoach57 wrote:
Jon Perkins wrote:These are all good points and I will not argue with any of them. This was the purpose of my post, what does this coaching staff have to do to gain local fan support in order to raise the funds necessary to further the program. From what I have seen is the few fundraising opportunities they have do not gain as much traction as they should. The one thing this staff does, that I like, is that every year they put on two day clinic for coaches. Every team in the state from Youth teams to HS teams should send at least one coach to this function. There is always something new to learn and these are actual professional coaches to learn from. As far as the golf tournament, I agree the golf course is not that desirable, but that is no reason not to participate if you want to see the team get better. I don’t spend $5 for a box of Girl Scout cookies because they taste good, I spend the $5 because it’s a good organization that does good things and it’s just the right thing to do. What other activities would get more people involved? A large BBQ, tailgate party, bingo???

Just when I start to think I can agree with this guy he goes and talks crap on girl scout cookies? Blasphemy. When I walk into Walmart and I see the Girl Scouts at their little table I am making a mental note to have cash for my exit so I can buy a box of thin mints, freeze them and crumble into a milkshake later and kickstart my diabetic coma by hammering a box of Tagalongs before I'm out of the parking lot. Girl Scout cookies are amazing and it has zero to do with the organization. I would buy them if the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Gang were selling them.

Now that I think about it maybe WVU wrestling should start selling cookies? I don't golf but I do like some cookies.

This explains a lot. And I do agree they need more fund raisers other than the golf outing. Perhaps you and others that don't like to golf would attend a cookout. And who knows, if you took up golfing it may help with your diabetes... :lol:

WVU

Postby WVU » Fri May 19, 2023 12:27 pm

Sophomore 125 Colton Drousias entered the transfer portal May 1 and selected Glenville State on May 10

suddendeath

Postby suddendeath » Sat May 20, 2023 12:33 pm

What’s going on in the transfer portal? There’s holes at 125 and 133..

(first time poster by the way)

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Sun May 21, 2023 12:40 am

Hopefully a couple transfers at 125 and 133

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Sun May 21, 2023 10:53 am

Colton Drousias has not found much success during his time in Morgantown so transferring to a D2 school makes good sense for him. Hopefully this will be a good pickup for Dylan Cottrill and the GSC crew.

They have recruited pretty hard at 125 and 133 so hopefully one of those guys works out in the next few years. From what I have seen, I believe help is definitely on the way at 125 and this weight class will be a very solid spot in the lineup.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun May 21, 2023 11:16 am

Jon Perkins wrote:
armyscot0873 wrote:Tudors actually has an NIL deal with the offensive line for the football team. So sponsoring the heavyweight would fit in that realm.

I suppose they can always use that for an excuse when they get called with a false starting penalty. They can tell the coach that it wasn't their fault, they had eaten a gut grenade from the Tudors before the game and the gas bubble knocked them off balance.

Even worse, it could lead to a medical forfeit.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun May 21, 2023 11:27 am

Jon Perkins wrote:Colton Drousias has not found much success during his time in Morgantown so transferring to a D2 school makes good sense for him. Hopefully this will be a good pickup for Dylan Cottrill and the GSC crew.

They have recruited pretty hard at 125 and 133 so hopefully one of those guys works out in the next few years. From what I have seen, I believe help is definitely on the way at 125 and this weight class will be a very solid spot in the lineup.

What state did Colton Drousias go to high school?

suddendeath

Postby suddendeath » Sun May 21, 2023 1:54 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:Colton Drousias has not found much success during his time in Morgantown so transferring to a D2 school makes good sense for him. Hopefully this will be a good pickup for Dylan Cottrill and the GSC crew.

Do you know who they’re looking hard at for 125? I know they wanted Caleb Smith from App State and Cannon from Northwestern. Hopefully it works out.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Sun May 21, 2023 5:24 pm

Illinois…

WVU

Postby WVU » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:16 am

WVU wrote:Through March 30th, schools with two or more wrestlers to have entered the transfer portal since the beginning of the 2022-23 season:

Num Team
7 Buffalo
6 Edinboro
5 Sacred Heart
5 WVU
5 Wyoming
4 NC State
4 Northern Illinois
4 Oklahoma
3 Cal Baptist
3 Campbell
3 Northern Colorado
3 Pitt
2 App State
2 Clarion
2 Cornell
2 Kent State
2 Nebraska
2 North Carolina
2 Northwestern
2 Ohio
2 Presbyterian
2 Rider
2 Rutgers
2 Utah Valley

Updated thru June 15th

Num Team
9 Buffalo
9 Oklahoma
8 Nebraska
8 Oklahoma State
7 Edinboro
7 North Dakota State
7 Wyoming
6 Clarion
6 Illinois
6 Minnesota
6 Sacred Heart
6 WVU
5 Campbell
5 Michigan
5 NC State
5 Northern Colorado
5 Northern Illinois
5 Northwestern
4 Kent State
4 Ohio
4 Pitt
4 Virginia
3 App State
3 Arizona State
3 Cal Baptist
3 Maryland
3 North Carolina
3 Oregon State
3 Presbyterian
3 Rider
2 Cal Poly
2 Central Michigan
2 Chattanooga
2 Cornell
2 Franklin & Marshall
2 Gardner-Webb
2 George Mason
2 Harvard
2 Iowa State
2 Lehigh
2 Little Rock
2 Lock Haven
2 Michigan State
2 Penn State
2 Rutgers
2 South Dakota State
2 Stanford
2 Utah Valley
2 Wisconsin

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:36 pm

WVU wrote:
WVU wrote:Through March 30th, schools with two or more wrestlers to have entered the transfer portal since the beginning of the 2022-23 season:

Num Team
7 Buffalo
6 Edinboro
5 Sacred Heart
5 WVU
5 Wyoming
4 NC State
4 Northern Illinois
4 Oklahoma
3 Cal Baptist
3 Campbell
3 Northern Colorado
3 Pitt
2 App State
2 Clarion
2 Cornell
2 Kent State
2 Nebraska
2 North Carolina
2 Northwestern
2 Ohio
2 Presbyterian
2 Rider
2 Rutgers
2 Utah Valley

Updated thru June 15th

Num Team
9 Buffalo
9 Oklahoma
8 Nebraska
8 Oklahoma State
7 Edinboro
7 North Dakota State
7 Wyoming
6 Clarion
6 Illinois
6 Minnesota
6 Sacred Heart
6 WVU
5 Campbell
5 Michigan
5 NC State
5 Northern Colorado
5 Northern Illinois
5 Northwestern
4 Kent State
4 Ohio
4 Pitt
4 Virginia
3 App State
3 Arizona State
3 Cal Baptist
3 Maryland
3 North Carolina
3 Oregon State
3 Presbyterian
3 Rider
2 Cal Poly
2 Central Michigan
2 Chattanooga
2 Cornell
2 Franklin & Marshall
2 Gardner-Webb
2 George Mason
2 Harvard
2 Iowa State
2 Lehigh
2 Little Rock
2 Lock Haven
2 Michigan State
2 Penn State
2 Rutgers
2 South Dakota State
2 Stanford
2 Utah Valley
2 Wisconsin

Thank you for staying on top of this and sharing periodically.

For each school, I am curious of the following:

1. How many transfers were varsity vs. non-varsity?

2. How many transfers no longer had scholarships, thus they are seeking new scholarships elsewhere to pursue a Masters Degree?

3. Which schools had a recent coaching change?

I figure Jon Perkins can share with us these details as they pertain to WVU.

Jon??

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:49 pm

I do not know about anyone's scholarship situations or their reasons for transferring out. It is obvious though the guys transferring out of WVU are non-starters and most are guys that used to be a starter and lost their spot. Other observations in looking at everyone else in transfer portal, most are non-starters looking for better situations or they are graduate students looking for some place to go for one last year. It is quite obvious though, as to what teams benefit the most from the transfer portal. If any team wants to be a big player in the transfer portal, they better come to the table with a lot NIL money, which is another big reason for younger guys transferring out of their current situation.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:27 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:I do not know about anyone's scholarship situations or their reasons for transferring out. It is obvious though the guys transferring out of WVU are non-starters and most are guys that used to be a starter and lost their spot. Other observations in looking at everyone else in transfer portal, most are non-starters looking for better situations or they are graduate students looking for some place to go for one last year. It is quite obvious though, as to what teams benefit the most from the transfer portal. If any team wants to be a big player in the transfer portal, they better come to the table with a lot NIL money, which is another big reason for younger guys transferring out of their current situation.

What is WVU's NIL plan for the wrestling team?

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:38 am

Bearhugger wrote:
Jon Perkins wrote:I do not know about anyone's scholarship situations or their reasons for transferring out. It is obvious though the guys transferring out of WVU are non-starters and most are guys that used to be a starter and lost their spot. Other observations in looking at everyone else in transfer portal, most are non-starters looking for better situations or they are graduate students looking for some place to go for one last year. It is quite obvious though, as to what teams benefit the most from the transfer portal. If any team wants to be a big player in the transfer portal, they better come to the table with a lot NIL money, which is another big reason for younger guys transferring out of their current situation.

What is WVU's NIL plan for the wrestling team?

I would say about the same as other WVU Olympic sports excluding Rifle since they are national championship contenders. WVU does not control NIL money, outside organizations do. If you follow other WVU sports you will see where the NIL money is going. Baseball, Basketball, and Football are the priorities. Rifle received a top 10 transfer and NIL was probably a big player. NIL is a private deal so unless the athlete comes out and says how much they were offered or received we really wont know who got what.

I do feel bad for smaller schools like North Dakota State who lost 2 All Americans to Iowa.

Organizations administering NIL $ for schools like WVU are going to have to decide where to put their money. A lot of that will be where do they get the best bang for their buck.

In an effort to keep 2 of the recent transfers for the basketball team from transferring somewhere else Toothman Ford in Fairmont gave them a NIL deal. Just an example of how NIL works. Maybe WVU will get lucky and a wrestling fan will win the powerball or sale their tech company for billions.

Return to “Collegiate”