Rule changes approved

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
mscoach4

Rule changes approved

Postby mscoach4 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:16 pm

mscoach4

Re: Rule changes approved

Postby mscoach4 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:18 pm

Some major changes included this year
1. The 3 point take down
2. Elimination of the touch down take down without demonstration of control
3. Addition of the 3 point nearfall, 2 points 2 swipes, 3 points 3 swipes and 4 points 4 swipes
4, Officials can now let action continue after penalizing an illegal hold and not require a stoppage
5. Top wrestler will not only have to attempt to break down but now must demonstrate the attempt to turn

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:12 am

mscoach4 wrote:Some major changes included this year
1. The 3 point take down
3. Addition of the 3 point nearfall, 2 points 2 swipes, 3 points 3 swipes and 4 points 4 swipes
4, Officials can now let action continue after penalizing an illegal hold and not require a stoppage
5. Top wrestler will not only have to attempt to break down but now must demonstrate the attempt to turn

I am not a big fan of the 3 Point takedown, this benefits guys that are not good in the top position and promotes the fact that they don't have to get any better which totally defeats the purpose of Folkstyle wrestling.

However, I am a big fan of a few other of these changes. With any luck the change they have made for the top wrestler working for a turn instead of only attempting a breakdown of the bottom wrestler will lead to more stalling calls for the top wrestler, which will hopefully lead to more action. The one rule that I am glad they have changed is the two-hour weigh-in for dual meets. This will give the guys plenty of time for recovery after tough weight cuts, especially those guys in the bottom end of the line-up from 125 - 141.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:05 pm

Hopefully the rule addition for the top wrestler will help alleviate the situations when 2 top quality wrestlers are in a tight match and it is obvious that the top man is only working to gain that riding time point. Personally I would like to see the riding time point eliminated totally or at least adjusted so that the top man forfeits the riding point if he was assessed a warning for stalling to gain that point.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:58 am

Jon Perkins wrote:
mscoach4 wrote:Some major changes included this year
1. The 3 point take down

I am not a big fan of the 3 Point takedown, this benefits guys that are not good in the top position and promotes the fact that they don't have to get any better which totally defeats the purpose of Folkstyle wrestling.

However, I am a big fan of a few other of these changes. With any luck the change they have made for the top wrestler working for a turn instead of only attempting a breakdown of the bottom wrestler will lead to more stalling calls for the top wrestler, which will hopefully lead to more action. The one rule that I am glad they have changed is the two-hour weigh-in for dual meets. This will give the guys plenty of time for recovery after tough weight cuts, especially those guys in the bottom end of the line-up from 125 - 141.

I think the rule change forces the wrestlers who are not good at takedowns..................to get better at takedowns. Too many college matches end 2 to 1. Two escapes and a riding point.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Return to “Collegiate”