Wvu wrestle off

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Letsgooo

Wvu wrestle off

Postby Letsgooo » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:50 am

Kind of surprising seeing Hillegas down at 141 with Titus. Wonder if this is a loser goes up type thing or if Waters is going to wrestle as a true freshman at 149. Dolan keeps growing, he’s up to 149. A lot of names I just don’t recognize from last year. Should be interesting.

Geoswaff

Re: Wvu wrestle off

Postby Geoswaff » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:22 am

I saw that too, maybe he can’t beat Watters? Coach Flynn did say that Watters was looking really strong. I am also interested to see how Dolan does against Strickenbacher.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:08 pm

Geoswaff wrote:I saw that too, maybe he can’t beat Watters? Coach Flynn did say that Watters was looking really strong. I am also interested to see how Dolan does against Strickenbacher.

Little Dolan is just too small still. He gets overpowered and has a hard time coming off bottom. He is good on top but struggles to get in that position. With any luck he will grow and put on size as fast as his bigger brother has. To me it looks like 125 is going to be Strickenberger's until further notice.

I heard that the battle for 141 between Hillegas and Titus is going to be a battle all season. And 149 should definitely go to Ty Watters, this cat is going to be fun watch.

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:49 pm

Did you go to the wrestle offs in person? How did the bigger weights look?

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:40 pm

Good to see Dowling healthy. Strickenberger looks like he can really put points up. I think this might be Flynn’s best lineup yet, time will tell.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:23 am

Well unfortunately we didn’t get to see Titus Vs Hillegas. Unless I somehow missed it but I don’t think I did.
Waters is funky. Insane scrambler. Looks pretty sucked down at 149. Maybe he goes 157 next year if Dowling leaves? It will be nice if Dowling can stay healthy for the year.
Hopefully little Dolan gets a growth spurt like his brother did. There’s a third Dolan on the roster lol. Any relation?
Very thin in the first two weights.
133 is an albatross
Missed a few guys. Assuming injuries. Should be a solid dual team if they can stay healthy.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:11 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:
Geoswaff wrote:I saw that too, maybe he can’t beat Watters? Coach Flynn did say that Watters was looking really strong. I am also interested to see how Dolan does against Strickenbacher.

Little Dolan is just too small still. He gets overpowered and has a hard time coming off bottom. He is good on top but struggles to get in that position. With any luck he will grow and put on size as fast as his bigger brother has. To me it looks like 125 is going to be Strickenberger's until further notice.

I heard that the battle for 141 between Hillegas and Titus is going to be a battle all season. And 149 should definitely go to Ty Watters, this cat is going to be fun watch.

Where can the results be found?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:57 pm

Results can be found on Flo’s web site under the “Wrestle Off Results.”

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:40 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:Results can be found on Flo’s web site under the “Wrestle Off Results.”

Thanks.

Upon review of the wrestle off results, there is an overwhelming gap between the "starter" and the other wrestlers in a given weight class. The rule of "iron sharpens iron" applies at: 157 and 184. It appears Hillegas didn't participate. I am sure he will bring some "iron" to 141 if that is where he lands.

I hope WVU's injuries of last season are behind them.

Good luck to all.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:01 pm

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:26 am

Bearhugger wrote:
Jon Perkins wrote:Results can be found on Flo’s web site under the “Wrestle Off Results.”

Thanks.

Upon review of the wrestle off results, there is an overwhelming gap between the "starter" and the other wrestlers in a given weight class. The rule of "iron sharpens iron" applies at: 157 and 184. It appears Hillegas didn't participate. I am sure he will bring some "iron" to 141 if that is where he lands.

I hope WVU's injuries of last season are behind them.

Good luck to all.

This team does not have a lot of depth at any weight class, except for where Hillegas falls at either 141 or 149, but the starting lineup is looking pretty strong. If you take a look at the results from teams like Missouri, NC State, and Ohio State there were a few close scores but for the most part the starting lineup blew the rest of the team away. Parity is not always the best thing. By looking at the results you might think that all of the guys at 184 look to be pretty equal and I do not think that is the case at all. Denise Robin should be far and away the best guy on the team at this weight, but his matches at wrestle offs were less than impressive. This was the worst I have ever seen him wrestle. I hope he gets things turned around for this weekend.

As far as the rule "Iron Sharpens Iron", while that may true it doesn't take a piece of iron of equal weight to sharpen another piece of iron. These guys are all great practice partners for each other. Ty Watters makes a great practice partner for everyone in the lineup from Davin Rhoads all the way up to Peyton Hall. And Peyton Hall makes a great practice partner for anyone from Ty Watters to Denise Robin.

Can't wait to see happens this weekend. Most everyone is going to have the opportunity for multiple ranked matches and should be a good test for most of the guys.

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:05 pm

What is the status of Anthony Carmen? Is he redshirting or injured?

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:22 pm

Geoswaff wrote:What is the status of Anthony Carmen? Is he redshirting or injured?

I’m not 100% sure of his status. I do know that he will not be available until 2nd semester.

Return to “Collegiate”