Midlands

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
NJwvu12

Midlands

Postby NJwvu12 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:51 pm

I know there has been a lot of doubt with Flynn and the slow rebuild it seems like at times but you can’t help but be optimistic after midlands. Even with Strickenberger having a rough 0-2 weekend the team looked great . Titus teching an AA in the finals , Watters with 3 more bonus wins and a runner up , Hall looked much better , Conley with 4 bonus wins plus a Mff and ,heck even Robin make the quarters , the start to this season plus the recruiting momentum that’s been building gotta say this is best I’ve been feeling about WVU wrestling in awhile

Jon Perkins

Re: Midlands

Postby Jon Perkins » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:45 am

It has certainly taken longer than everyone would have liked but this team is definitely starting to come together and getting the results people have been looking for. Hopefully Flynn and his crew can keep the recruiting train rolling and pick up a top-level transfer here and there.

My take aways from the Midlands:
125: I don't know if Jett had a bad weight cut or an injury but he has shown in the past that he wrestles much better than this. This bracket was set up for him to beat some ranked guys and he just flat out laid an egg.
133: With any luck HELP will be on the way.
141: Jordan is an All-American threat.
149: Ty may not be an All-Amercian threat, just yet, but he is very close.
157: With any luck Dowling will be back in the lineup soon. To me Hornfeck is just blah to watch.
165: Peyton just keeps doing Peyton things. He started out with a few bad losses, but he is back on track to be an All-American threat.
174: Brody is exactly what you want in a freshman, he is consistent and keeps getting better.
184: Dennis lost to probably the best two guys in this bracket. He is not flashy and does not wrestle at a fast pace, but don't ever count him out.
197: Cooley is just Cooley, he has shown that he is going to win slightly more than what he loses.
HWT: Wolfgram is another one that was set up to have a good tournament and laid an egg. He is consistently inconsistent.

NJwvu12

Postby NJwvu12 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:56 am

I think Watters can definitely AA this season it may be draw dependent but he’s 1 of the 12-14 guys at the weight that can make the podium this year and with over 2 months of big 12 matches coming up to build some confidence and his really high bonus rate I think he ll be R12 worst case come march

133 is definitely a need but a lot of the impact transfers seem to be getting NIL deals and I’m not sure we can compete with these big 10 programs $$ wise

285 definitely seems like he hit his ceiling and it’s a shame , few years ago he seemed like a future AA and I heard he was a very motivated guy training all the time but it looks like he ll be a NQ who goes 0-2 or 1-2

Titus looks fantastic so far excited to see if he can build off this great start

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:23 pm

I hope whatever is wrong with Jett gets figured out. When he’s right he has AA potential. Poulin #8 just beat Provo #2 and Jett has beat Poulin. 125 is a wild weight class.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:22 pm

I was going to bring up this same point. The 125 pound weight class is a mess and is totally up for grabs for anyone to reach the podium at NCAA’s. Jett has proven that he can wrestle with, and beat, the top guys at this weight. I’ve always heard you don’t have to be good all the time, you just have to be good when it’s time. Let’s hope that is the case with Jett in March.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:17 am

Jett got the fall today against Columbia but he was bumped up a class. Several Mountaineers did not wrestle today as it came down to 285 and Wolfgram needing a fall to pull off the dual win which is exactly what he did with a 15-0 tech. WVU won 22-21. I am interested in what was going on with the lineup today. Maybe Kyle can get on and update us.

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:16 pm

Jett looked really good at 133. Seemed to move well and maintain his energy. For duals that seems like a better option for the team with Schafer at 125 and Jett at 133. Schafer seems stronger at 125 then Rhodes does at 133.

Return to “Collegiate”