WVU's Upcoming Schedule

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Jon Perkins

WVU's Upcoming Schedule

Postby Jon Perkins » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:42 pm

The next two weekends are going to be a big test for the Mountaineers. This Friday they host Missouri and next weekend it is off to Iowa for matches against Iowa State and Northern Iowa. Every guy in the lineup is going to face a minimum of one opponent ranked in the Top 10 and nearly half of them will face two. Out of the next three matches, eight guys will face a ranked opponent in all three matches.

With any luck the lineup will be at full strength and we see Jett back in the lineup at 125 along with Caleb Dowling and Brody Conley. These matches will be big to see how the team is going to stack up for the Big 12 Tournament.

Bearhugger

Re: WVU's Upcoming Schedule

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:46 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:The next two weekends are going to be a big test for the Mountaineers. This Friday they host Missouri and next weekend it is off to Iowa for matches against Iowa State and Northern Iowa. Every guy in the lineup is going to face a minimum of one opponent ranked in the Top 10 and nearly half of them will face two. Out of the next three matches, eight guys will face a ranked opponent in all three matches.

With any luck the lineup will be at full strength and we see Jett back in the lineup at 125 along with Caleb Dowling and Brody Conley. These matches will be big to see how the team is going to stack up for the Big 12 Tournament.

What are your predictions?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:52 am

I predict that there will be a lot of competitive matches that WVU comes up on the short end of. The team scores in the Mizzou match and the Iowa State match will, more than likely, be lop sided but the individual matches will be more competitive than in the past. If this team is at full strength this team has a very good chance of beating Northern Iowa.

Key matches to watch: Jett vs Noah Surtin (Mizz); Titus vs Anthony Echemendia (ISU) & Cael Happel (UNI); Ty Waters vs Casey Swiderski (ISU); and Brody Conley vs Peyton Mocco, these are all Top 10 matches for these guys and will be a good measuring stick for each of them. And don't forget that Peyton Hall will wrestle Keegan O'Toole and David Carr, Peyton has one Top 5 upset this season, can we see him pull off another?

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:46 pm

Wrestlestat does a good job in examining a potential matchup but is only as good as the actual lineups that appear on the mat
WVU vs Missouri https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/76/west-virginia/43/missouri
WVU vs Iowa State https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/76/west-virginia/35/iowa-state
WVU vs Northern Iowa https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/76/west-virginia/52/northern-iowa

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:49 am

Peyton had O’toole. He seems to always wrestle him tough. Damn that would of been a huge win. It’s makes some of his losses even more confusing. He’s wrestling great right now tho. Great win by Waters and Titus.

Not having Jett is a killer because we already know 133 is giving up 5 or 6 pts. Without Jett that means a team is up 10-0, at least, after the first two weights. Not saying Jett wins but he keeps it close. Our lack of any 133 is astounding to me especially when it was a known thing last year and they didn’t bring in anyone. There’s no lower weight depth and our best recruits coming in are upper weights (which are needed). Have to hit the portal for even an average lightweight or two and hope the LW’s they’re bringing in over perform.

No Conley again sucks. Same as Jett, he would of the underdog, but with those two guys at least it’s more respectable.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:43 pm

Has any wvu wrestler knocked off a #1 ranked wrestler at the coliseum? I can’t remember one but I’m not that detailed of a fan. I’ve attended about 80% of the meets since the late 70’s, just not that detailed. Could have happened, please help!

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:35 am

dunbar76 wrote:Has any wvu wrestler knocked off a #1 ranked wrestler at the coliseum? I can’t remember one but I’m not that detailed of a fan. I’ve attended about 80% of the meets since the late 70’s, just not that detailed. Could have happened, please help!

That is a good question....I have a feeling the answer may be difficult to come up with. For a second there on Friday night I thought Peyton might make that happen. When he finished that second takedown, the Coliseum came alive, and it was as loud as I have ever heard it. I feel like Peyton is wrestling as good as he ever has so let's hope he can carry that success over into March.

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:45 pm

Looks like several WVU wrestlers competed at Mat Town open this weekend, including Jett at 125. Jett wrestled 5 times and finished 3rd, with a lone loss 8-2 to high school phenom Jax Forrest who also beat the current NCAA #1. Looks like Jett is on weight and healthy as all of is wins were bonus point wins.

Dowling also wrestled and finished 3rd

Conley did not so I guess he is still banged up.

The Iowa trip could be really interesting if these guys get back into the lineup. Now if we can just fill our gap at 133....

https://arena.flowrestling.org/event/81 ... dc9fda1867

Return to “Collegiate”