Big 12

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
dunbar76

Big 12

Postby dunbar76 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:39 pm

Will WVU ever host the Big 12 wrestling tournament?

Jon Perkins

Re: Big 12

Postby Jon Perkins » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:20 am

This is the biggest problem with the BIG 12 conference, they have tended to hold their conference tournament at a neutral site since they started expanding. Since 2016 it has been held in either Kansas City, MO or Tulsa, Oklahoma. It is hard for me to see this changing especially with some of the PAC 12 teams entering the BIG 12 next year.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:45 pm

Logistically, it makes no sense for WVU to host the Big 12. Operating costs are becoming a higher focus in everything and that is now including wrestling.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:56 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Logistically, it makes no sense for WVU to host the Big 12. Operating costs are becoming a higher focus in everything and that is now including wrestling.

What operating costs would they have that wouldn't be covered by the Big 12 Athletic Conference. The ticket sales would be more than enough to cover the electric bill.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:32 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Logistically, it makes no sense for WVU to host the Big 12. Operating costs are becoming a higher focus in everything and that is now including wrestling.

Logistically, I am wondering if Morgantown has adequate facilities for that many teams, personel, fans, etc. for lodging and eating in the fashion that larger cities can handle without everyone to have to be traveling by cars (which they won't have with them). Even for wrestling and their fan base. On the other hand, Pittsburgh as a neutral site every 10 years or so would be nice, but I agree it will never happen.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:48 pm

This is a good point. Although I believe Morgantown could handle hosting an event like this, I do not think it would be the most accommodating and fan friendly experience. However, I wonder about schools like South Dakota State, North Dakota State, Norhtern Iowa, and possibly even Norhtern Colorado and if those towns could accommodate 10,000 people for three to four days. Without looking into it, I am going to guess that having the conference tournament at a neutral site began when they expanded the number of teams in the Big 12 conference to make it more welcoming for the teams I mentioned.

Just one other thought, this is another reason that some of the WV high school recruits choose to go to a college in the MAC and ACC conferences. Their matches and conference tournaments will always be closer to home making more affordable for their parents to travel to.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:13 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:This is a good point. Although I believe Morgantown could handle hosting an event like this, I do not think it would be the most accommodating and fan friendly experience. However, I wonder about schools like South Dakota State, North Dakota State, Norhtern Iowa, and possibly even Norhtern Colorado and if those towns could accommodate 10,000 people for three to four days. Without looking into it, I am going to guess that having the conference tournament at a neutral site began when they expanded the number of teams in the Big 12 conference to make it more welcoming for the teams I mentioned.

Just one other thought, this is another reason that some of the WV high school recruits choose to go to a college in the MAC and ACC conferences. Their matches and conference tournaments will always be closer to home making more affordable for their parents to travel to.

Interesting. Name one recruit that went to MAC or ACC conferences because it was closer to home and facilitated travel for their parents.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:06 pm

Why wouldn’t that be a reason? When I was in college there is no way possible my parents could’ve flown to Tulsa, OK and they certainly didn’t have a vehicle capable of making the trip. Feasibly it wasn’t possible for them but they could’ve drove to Blacksburg or to Pittsburg, making the trip to NC may have been stretch for them.

Don't make it sound like I was insinuating this is a huge reason for not choosing one school over another. However, you should not be naive and pretend it is not a factor. Just because someone in the family gets a scholarship, doesn’t mean the parents are not struggling at home.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:50 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:Why wouldn’t that be a reason? When I was in college there is no way possible my parents could’ve flown to Tulsa, OK and they certainly didn’t have a vehicle capable of making the trip. Feasibly it wasn’t possible for them but they could’ve drove to Blacksburg or to Pittsburg, making the trip to NC may have been stretch for them.

Don't make it sound like I was insinuating this is a huge reason for not choosing one school over another. However, you should not be naive and pretend it is not a factor. Just because someone in the family gets a scholarship, doesn’t mean the parents are not struggling at home.

I read your statement as if this was indeed why some WV wrestlers selected the ACC or MAC. Now if you are talking in terms of "possibilities", then sure. Lets move on.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:01 am

Do any other D1 conferences in wrestling hold conference tournaments at a neutral site?

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:41 am

dunbar76 wrote:Do any other D1 conferences in wrestling hold conference tournaments at a neutral site?

Not that I am aware of, even the SoCon and the MAC have revolving conference tournaments. Ohio University was the host of the MAC tournament last year, and if a little town like Athens, Ohio, can pull off hosting a conference tournament then I know Morgantown can do it.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:06 pm

Stop hosting at a neutral site. Stimulate the big 12 local economies. Bring it to Morgantown!!!

Return to “Collegiate”