WVU 133

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
armyscot0873

WVU 133

Postby armyscot0873 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:29 am

I'm wondering if WVU reached out to Gavin to see if he had any interest in transferring. He could be a big help at 133.

Jon Perkins

Re: WVU 133

Postby Jon Perkins » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:14 am

One can only assume that if they recruited a Junior College national champion out of Northwest Kansas that they at least reached out to a Division 2 national champion who is less than 100 miles away. I can neither confirm nor deny this to be true, but I have heard Gavin is happy and completely satisfied in Glenville. It is a really nice small town and Glenville State offers a top notch education, as a proud alumni I might be a little bias though.

I would look for WVU to try and bring in someone from the transfer portal this year. Last year was a really slim year for 125 and 133 pounders entering the transfer portal. There was very few high quality transfers at these two weights. Maybe this year will be better and plus I have heard that WVU has finally gotten a little bit of NIL money.

Shaun

Postby Shaun » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:07 pm

I seen the had Angelo Rini there last Sunday.. A big pick up if we can grab him. Columbia grad transfer and I think an 2x all American maybe? Could be wrong

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:24 am

After a little thought and reflection on my post, there is a clear distinction between Jett Strickenberger and Gavin Quiocho. Jett was at a Junior College and was either out of eligibility or he was in the transfer portal, probably both of these two things are true, which means he is available for open recruitment. Gavin, on the other hand, is and has been on an active NCAA roster which makes him ineligible for recruitment. It is a clear NCAA violation for a coach or anyone from an NCAA organization to try and recruit an athlete that is on an active roster for another team. I am sure there is a lot more behind all this that I do not know and have not included.

So, to answer the question as to whether or not WVU has reached out to Gavin about the possibility of transferring, the answer in no because it would be a rules violation.

indywvu

Postby indywvu » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:39 am

I would expect that WVU will be looking at the transfer portal at this weight. Portal doesn’t open until after NCAA tournament.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:52 am

It’s amazing he even makes 133. Hell his first year of college was at 149. He’s a stud tho. Wish we had him in the blue and gold. Right now it doesn’t look like we’re bringing in the type of HS ligtt he weights that can come in and start so we better be looking for another transfer. Giving up a guaranteed 5, six inches conference, is tough. Especially when Jett was hurt we’d start off 0-10/0-12 right quick.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:17 pm

Joe Clem won the 131 Big school NY state championship this weekend, his brother Anthony took 4th at 124
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hoke Hogan won his 2nd Georgia state championship at 184 last weekend finishing the season 49-0 with 48 pins
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rune Lawrence 195 won his 4th straight WPIAL championship the 32nd wrestler to accomplish that distinction this weekend, He will be trying to win his 4th straight Pennsylvania state championship and would become only the 14th wrestler to do that. He pinned his WPIAL championship opponent in 53 seconds. His only loss is an injury default in the Iron Man finals
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brycen Arbogast 133 and Shawn Taylor 165 are injured and have not been wrestling

Return to “Collegiate”