Transfer Portal

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Jon Perkins

Transfer Portal

Postby Jon Perkins » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:43 pm

Just seen where Tommy Askey, from App State, is in the transfer portal. He was a Round of 12 finisher this year at 157 pounds and has one more year of eligibility left. As much as I like Dowling, this would be an improvement at that spot and sandwiched in between Watters and Hall that might be enough to put him on the podium.

Letsgooo

Re: Transfer Portal

Postby Letsgooo » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:21 pm

We would be crazy not to take him. He’d be a huge upgrade. There’s also a stud 157 from Ohio that is a beast and had a great NCAA’s. It’ll come down to if these guys are looking to get paid. If so then we won’t have a chance.

Lehigh 133 transfer would be huge but much bigger teams are looking at him.

Did anyone else see the list of the top 20 schools with the highest wrestling budgets? Wvu was not on the list. Some much smaller schools that are not power five are on there.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:47 am

The 157 pound wrestler from Ohio University you are referring to is Peyton Kellar. I was unaware that he was in the transfer portal. This would be a surprise if it is true because he grew up about 30 from their campus and has attended their camps from a very young age. As a fan of that team, it would be disappointing as he is one of the few bright spots in that lineup and certainly the one person with the most success. If he were to leave, he would most certainly be a good addition to any team in the country as he had an outstanding NCAA tournament.

NJwvu12

Postby NJwvu12 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:49 am

Ethan Oakley From App state is also in the portal , he was a NQ at 133 and upset Latona from V-Tech at ncaa ..Oakley and Askey are both grad transfers I believe so if the plan is for Jett to go 125 again next year it would be nice to try and bring both guys in as a package deal , no indications they are looking for big pay days either , could be a guy to keep an eye on

WVU

Postby WVU » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:11 pm

Former Spring Mills standout Patrick Jackson is in the portal, was 174 at Lock Haven

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:27 pm

197 Cooley is not on the Wrestlestat roster but 285 Wolfgram is. What happened to Cooley? Would be nice to have them both back so Rune has a year to acclimate at either weight.

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:47 am

Wrestlestat lists Cooley as a SR this year, and assume it’s automated and he’s done with college. I’m pretty sure he has the covid year of eligibility left, but I may be wrong.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:39 am

I would assume if Cooley was transferring out he would be listed in the transfer portal, which he is not or hasn’t been. Wrestlestat still has plenty of guys who are in the transfer portal listed as being on the rosters they are transferring from. But to the point of Cooley being around for Rune’s freshmen year. He will be a big asset to all the incoming freshmen not only as a training partner but hopefully a mentor. And if it is clear that Rune is going to be the guy at 197, hopefully that will allow Cooley to add some size to better train with Wolfgram.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:14 pm

I think we agree but either I typed something you didn't understand or you typed something and I whiffed.

I don't see Austin in the wrestlestat or intermat rendition of the transfer portal (unless you're a college coach or someone with some kind of credentials to access it, we mere mortals must rely on third parties like WS or IM to provide us with a glimpse of who is in the portal). I am NOT saying that he is for sure in the portal. I am saying that he is NOT on the WVU Wrestling Wrestlestat Roster. While it is true that wrestlestat leaves guys on the current team roster while they are in the portal, wrestlestat generally removes them from the roster when they transfer or retire/quit. Wrestlestat doesn't usually make changes until notified by a coach or an announcement by the athlete.

So either:
A) He is in the portal and we don't see it
B) He is finished with wrestling with a year of eligibility on the table
C) Wrestlestat mistakenly removed him from the WVU roster

I am hoping for option C

Return to “Collegiate”