Two-piece uniform approved

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach33

Two-piece uniform approved

Postby aaacoach33 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:34 pm

In the end we win

aaacoach42

Re: Two-piece uniform approved

Postby aaacoach42 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:44 pm

So, will WVSSAC follow and allow this uniform change?

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Tue May 02, 2017 3:57 pm

The SSAC has always followed the NFHS rules see no reason they would not here! :D

aaacoach42

Postby aaacoach42 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Where this will make the biggest change for future wrestling is at the Youth and Middle School levels. i would assume theses levels will follow suit as well.

My opinion, good for the sport!

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:45 am

Article pointed out several solid rule changes. I hope the state follows suit and continues to improve the sport.

timamos

Postby timamos » Wed May 03, 2017 11:57 am

Here is a summary of the rule changes. I like some, thought that some were already rules, and they again missed some glaringly stupid rules in favor of making themselves look busy:

1. Two piece is ok (but they'll get back to us on whether fight shorts can be substituted for compression shorts).
2. No cutting hair or cutting up your underwear at the scales (this was a serious enough problem that they needed a rule?).
3. No suplex (thought this was already the case for folkstyle).
4. No Flying Squirrel (fun to watch but I understand that there have probably been neck injuries).
5. No Magic Stick (I think the committee was bored and needed something to justify using another day at the convention site).
6. College OB for pins and nearfalls. (Like this one a lot).
7. Official faces wrestlers at start of top/bottom. (Refs do this already, can anyone think of a ref who doesn't???)
8. Don't leave mat if there is an error. (been telling our youth kids and coaches this same thing for years, thought it was already in there somewhere)
9. If you are top man and bottom guy stands, don't hang out straight behind him (does this mean that I can merely get an angle and never attempt to mat return him?)

Here's something for the rules committee, fix the mouthguard rule. The current mouth guard rule is (1) stupid and (2) based on bad science.
If you have braces NFHS (and therefore the wvssac) requires a full mouthpiece. Good rule until you factor in that strips are available to cover the surface of the braces (eliminating the chance that the braces shred the inside of the mouth or a contact point with an opponent). Official explanation is that the strips do not cover the biting surface (umm neither do the braces) and wrestlers without braces certainly do not have their biting surfaces protected. Next explanation is that the mouthguard is thicker than the strips (not true) and therefore offers additional protection. We measured the mouthguard that we received from the orthodontist, one we bought at a store, and the strips. The strips were thicker. One of the other (unwritten) explanations was that it will reduce concussions (medically unproven) and if that were truly their rationale, then they should require mouthguards for all wrestlers because we obviously care about all of their brains, not just the ones with orthodontics.
Last edited by timamos on Wed May 03, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed May 03, 2017 12:22 pm

Number 6 gets a standing ovation from me! About time!!

There have been wagers made on who will be the first official to forget this rule change this coming season. :roll:
Moderator WV Mat

Cummings

Postby Cummings » Wed May 03, 2017 2:57 pm

These rule committees are as effective as the WV Legislature.

I agree with Mr. Amos about the "new changes".

The college out of bounds for falls and near falls is great. Why not add the college rule on take downs on the out bounds as well?
The problem with this rule is when you go to a tournament with "pee wee" mats wall to wall. There are rules already in place for this problem :?: but year after year we visit tournaments with insufficient mat border.

In reference to the other thread concerning the state tournament being 2 weeks after regional, I like it. Coaches can modify their schedule accordingly and maybe this will give battlers from AAA region IV time to rest and heal.

My biggest problem with all of this is folks not enforcing rules currently. I have seen and heard rules broken by wrestlers and coaches but overlooked by those paid to enforce them. For whatever reason some rules are overlooked and not enforced prior to today. I feel most overlooked rules are "unpopular". I suppose lack of education can be blamed for the rest (Myself included).

Tobacco is a classic example.

I watched an opposing coach get upset and listened as he told a pretty good official, "You're garbage!", after many other derogatory remarks. Should we not hold coaches accountable? Maybe the official was very understanding and preferred not to engage in a power struggle.

Certified Scales??? :?:

Can we continue to change rules to make wrestling better? I think so.
Did we already have rules in place and enforce all of them? I do not think so.

Consistency??

As long as some folks "bend' the rules, wrestling will make major news only in a negative manner.
[color=#FF0000]Lee Cummings

timamos

Postby timamos » Wed May 03, 2017 3:52 pm

Cummings wrote: The college out of bounds for falls and near falls is great. Why not add the college rule on take downs on the out bounds as well? The problem with this rule is when you go to a tournament with "pee wee" mats wall to wall. There are rules already in place for this problem :?: but year after year we visit tournaments with insufficient mat border.

I like college OB for pins/NF/ & "mat wrestling". I disagree with you about college OB for neutral, I like freestyle/greco step out rule once they're on their feet. It is easy for fans to understand, it is safer than the current rule and exponentially safer than college OB from neutral, it strongly discourages wrestlers playing the line, it settles some of the upper weight snooze fests without the need of the official picking someone to warn for stalling.

Return to “High School Wrestling”