Rules interpreter

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
technical violation

Rules interpreter

Postby technical violation » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:41 am

I hear they have hired a new rules int. Anyone know who it is

Gator

Re: Rules interpreter

Postby Gator » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Jeremy Callen.
Moderator WV Mat

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:33 pm

Gator wrote:Jeremy Callum.

Callen

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:18 pm

Great choice for rules interpreter. Not only is he a great official but also young enough to fulfill the position in a way that only Dr. Welker did. He has years of experience, great people skills, and a desire to be the best he can be!!!! Congrats old friend and as I told you years ago if you want to be the best get on LOL!!!!GK

WrestlingFan1

Postby WrestlingFan1 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:06 am

In hindsight, probably not the right choice.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:36 am

wv16refgk wrote:Great choice for rules interpreter. Not only is he a great official but also young enough to fulfill the position in a way that only Dr. Welker did. He has years of experience, great people skills, and a desire to be the best he can be!!!! Congrats old friend and as I told you years ago if you want to be the best get on LOL!!!!GK

Did you attend the state tournament this past weekend?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:24 am

Bearhugger wrote:
wv16refgk wrote:Great choice for rules interpreter. Not only is he a great official but also young enough to fulfill the position in a way that only Dr. Welker did. He has years of experience, great people skills, and a desire to be the best he can be!!!! Congrats old friend and as I told you years ago if you want to be the best get on LOL!!!!GK

If neither ref remembered what happened in the second period, and the scorecard showed the escape...what exactly did you want the rules interpreter to do? We do not have video replay as a means of challenging a call or match result.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:26 am

guard0544 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

If neither ref remembered what happened in the second period, and the scorecard showed the escape...what exactly did you want the rules interpreter to do? We do not have video replay as a means of challenging a call or match result.

??? I just asked if GK attended the tournament.

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:02 am

Ye Bearhugger I was there I haven't missed a State Tourney since 1973,.Rule 3 Article 9 does not allow video replay and yes after watching the match it is apparent that a mistake was made by the scorekeeper and yes the scoresheet had the point in question on it!! I respect the Harts and the Wards and for that matter Mr. Hart conducted himself in the proper way thru out this whole incident. I've known both parties involved for many years and in fact called Jughead's finals match many years ago!! I helped start the Winfield program back in the 1970s along with Bill Hughes. I still think that Jeremy Callen was the right choice for rules interpreter!! I never saw a scorebook contradicting the score brought forward so that a comparsion could be made by all involved and I can't believe that no one involved in the match could remember the points scored in a wrestling match. Sorry to all of those involved!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:53 am

wv16refgk wrote:Ye Bearhugger I was there I haven't missed a State Tourney since 1973,.Rule 3 Article 9 does not allow video replay and yes after watching the match it is apparent that a mistake was made by the scorekeeper and yes the scoresheet had the point in question on it!! I respect the Harts and the Wards and for that matter Mr. Hart conducted himself in the proper way thru out this whole incident. I've known both parties involved for many years and in fact called Jughead's finals match many years ago!! I helped start the Winfield program back in the 1970s along with Bill Hughes. I still think that Jeremy Callen was the right choice for rules interpreter!! I never saw a scorebook contradicting the score brought forward so that a comparsion could be made by all involved and I can't believe that no one involved in the match could remember the points scored in a wrestling match. Sorry to all of those involved!!!

There were EIGHT people on the mat or matside during all matches. In this particular match:

1. Score table worker #1
2. Score table worker #2
3. Referee #1
4. Referee #2
5. Winfield coach #1
6. Winfield coach #2
7. Independence coach #1
8. Independence coach #2

Of these 8 people, only the two Independence coaches (2/8 = 25%) were able to recall the scoring sequence of 7 points (5 to 2).

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:49 pm

Jeremy Callen laughed in my brother's face, while other officials around him including the head official for the match made sarcastic comments to him, when he insisted that his protest be properly heard after the 160-pound match. When Jeremy Tincher from Greenbrier West tried to intervene, his response was "Why do you care? It's not your kid."

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:34 am

Bearhugger wrote:
wv16refgk wrote:Ye Bearhugger I was there I haven't missed a State Tourney since 1973,.Rule 3 Article 9 does not allow video replay and yes after watching the match it is apparent that a mistake was made by the scorekeeper and yes the scoresheet had the point in question on it!! I respect the Harts and the Wards and for that matter Mr. Hart conducted himself in the proper way thru out this whole incident. I've known both parties involved for many years and in fact called Jughead's finals match many years ago!! I helped start the Winfield program back in the 1970s along with Bill Hughes. I still think that Jeremy Callen was the right choice for rules interpreter!! I never saw a scorebook contradicting the score brought forward so that a comparsion could be made by all involved and I can't believe that no one involved in the match could remember the points scored in a wrestling match. Sorry to all of those involved!!!

There were EIGHT people on the mat or matside during all matches. In this particular match:

1. Score table worker #1
2. Score table worker #2
3. Referee #1
4. Referee #2
5. Winfield coach #1
6. Winfield coach #2
7. Independence coach #1
8. Independence coach #2

Of these 8 people, only the two Independence coaches (2/8 = 25%) were able to recall the scoring sequence of 7 points (5 to 2).

I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:35 am

I have to finally ask...why did Indy not have a book with the score? Almost every coach has a stat person keeping the action for this exact reason. If a book contradicted the score table, perhaps it gets corrected.

“Watch out for the ringworm!”
Lesser Fungus

Schoon3400

Postby Schoon3400 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:57 am

Let me get this straight, nobody could remember the scoring sequence? 2 points about this: 1) if an escape was awarded in Round 2, then that means nobody could remember that Hart was on top when Round 2 was over, within a minute or two when Indy complained about score? 2) If 2 escapes were awarded in round 1, then this means there had to be 2 takedowns. Obviously, 2 takedowns wasn't awarded, therefore there couldn't be 2 escapes. How could one not figure this out? Also, I know the scorecards put who was up and down at the start of 2nd and 3rd round. With all Refs watching the match and the Winfield Coaches, does anyone in their sound mind, expect us to believe that none of these people could figure this out or that nobody, besides the Indy Coaches remembered Hart finished on top at the end of round 2? Refs are covering their butts, and Winfield coaches were not being honest is the only explanation. Its not rocket science! You guys embarrass WV wrestling. With all of the fans watching, countless refs watching, the ref of the match, the second ref, two score keeper refs, and 4 coaches, all watching the match, and someone wants to make the argument about a stats person? In other words, your saying all of these people are incompetent. Especially, you make this comment after a comment about a ref laughing in a coaches face, like he's stupid? I bet he's not thinking Indy coaches are stupid now for protesting the score. Ringworm, you did get something right though, we have some incompetent Winfield Coaches, refs, and score keepers! Well its either that or immoral! Either way, it should not be acceptable!

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:31 am

We've been told by the WVSSAC that the head official's explanation for why he didn't take more time to check the make sure the score was correct was because the Winfield coach kept adamantly insisting that the score was correct and that wrestling be restarted immediately. That's the official explanation that we've been given this week. If one of the wrestlers wrestled under the assumption of an incorrect score, his coach invited that error. Our wrestler knew what the score was. He knew he needed to score 6 points to win at the end of the match and he did. I'm sure people are tired of hearing about this, but the facts matter. I won a state championship. I'm old, but I remember everything about that night. The feeling of winning. Hugging my coach. Hugging my parents. Standing on the podium and having my picture taken. My son won state championships. And I remember everything about each of those nights. Hugging him afterwards and watching him on top of the podium. That experience was taken from my nephew and my brother and my sister-in-law even though they did everything right to earn it. I won't listen to people try and blame Alex or his coaches for it.

Our head coach went to the table. He won two individual state titles as a wrestler. He was outstanding wrestler in 1996. He won the Dutton Award. He wrestled 5 years at Appalachian State and was Southern Conference Wrestler of the Year. Over the last five years, he's helped coached five team championships and 18 individual state champions. He laid out the exact scoring scenario as it had occurred in the match seconds earlier. He showed the offical exactly on the score sheet where the error had occurred. I don't think having a sixteen-year-old there who had never wrestled a match with a piece of paper would have helped. The people involved didn't get it right because they didn't want to get it right.

If I were an official, and I was for seven years, and I had Shaun Smith or Rob Archer or John Bonecutter at the table, in any match, losing their mind and telling me the match score was wrong, you can bet I wouldn't leave the table until I figured out what the issue was and fixed it. If I had found out later that I had made a correctable mistake, I would fix it when I found out. That's what you do when you care about the integrity of the outcome.

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:08 am

IndyHart wrote:We've been told by the WVSSAC that the head official's explanation for why he didn't take more time to check the make sure the score was correct was because the Winfield coach kept adamantly insisting that the score was correct and that wrestling be restarted immediately. That's the official explanation that we've been given this week. If one of the wrestlers wrestled under the assumption of an incorrect score, his coach invited that error. Our wrestler knew what the score was. He knew he needed to score 6 points to win at the end of the match and he did. I'm sure people are tired of hearing about this, but the facts matter. I won a state championship. I'm old, but I remember everything about that night. The feeling of winning. Hugging my coach. Hugging my parents. Standing on the podium and having my picture taken. My son won state championships. And I remember everything about each of those nights. Hugging him afterwards and watching him on top of the podium. That experience was taken from my nephew and my brother and my sister-in-law even though they did everything right to earn it. I won't listen to people try and blame Alex or his coaches for it.

Our head coach went to the table. He won two individual state titles as a wrestler. He was outstanding wrestler in 1996. He won the Dutton Award. He wrestled 5 years at Appalachian State and was Southern Conference Wrestler of the Year. Over the last five years, he's helped coached five team championships and 18 individual state champions. He laid out the exact scoring scenario as it had occurred in the match seconds earlier. He showed the offical exactly on the score sheet where the error had occurred. I don't think having a sixteen-year-old there who had never wrestled a match with a piece of paper would have helped. The people involved didn't get it right because they didn't want to get it right.

If I were an official, and I was for seven years, and I had Shaun Smith or Rob Archer or John Bonecutter at the table, in any match, losing their mind and telling me the match score was wrong, you can bet I wouldn't leave the table until I figured out what the issue was and fixed it. If I had found out later that I had made a correctable mistake, I would fix it when I found out. That's what you do when you care about the integrity of the outcome.

I agree with everything but the middle part about the 16 year old (why wouldn't you have a coach do it???). George K. said earlier there was no scorebook contradicting what the official scorer had. So, to me, if there was such a contradiction, then there was a chance it would be fixed. I think you are wrong about that part for sure. Always keep a book!

"Watch out for the ringworm!"
Impetigo

Return to “High School Wrestling”