You Make The Call

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

You Make The Call

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:38 am

How should this situation be handled by a ref:

Third period with 12 seconds to go. The score is 2-2. Wrestler A is on top. Wrestler B is on bottom.

The match begins. Wrestler B dives forward and starts kicking while Wrestler A is now holding on around his opponents ankles.

Wrestler B's shoe comes off which obviously allowed him to escape. Wrestler A is on the mat holding B's shoe.

Should this be an escape?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

coach_williams

Re: You Make The Call

Postby coach_williams » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:56 am

Tough one. I had to really think this through. My .02 is that would qualify as "equipment failure" in which case the wrestler puts his shoe back on and they reset to where they were at the moment of equipment failure, which would be A on top and B on bottom, so no escape.

aaacoach28

Postby aaacoach28 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:05 pm

I think I would call an escape. Not sure equipment failure would be the case. I have witnessed points scored after a head gear has come off. But good food for thought!!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Yeah I was a bit torn on the equipment failure aspect. My logic was that if the shoe stays on, no escape happens. I see the headgear aspect a bit different since it is illegal for a wrestler to grab and hold headgear in order to maintain control of an opponent. It is an iffy situation either way.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:59 am

In this case, the shoe coming off is what allowed the escape to happen. Crummy situation but it will be a funny story in years to come.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Depends on where you are.
1. If wrestling in Ohio it would be 1 point technical violation shoe came off. (doesn't mater what reason is. Not like head gear). then one escape.
2. In WV we would say the shoe was secured when match started therefore legal. Then would be one point escape. No different the head gear coming off.
3. PA would be like Ohio. I think, been a while since a called a match there.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:54 pm

forthekids wrote:2. In WV we would say the shoe was secured when match started therefore legal. Then would be one point escape. No different the head gear coming off.

That is unfortunate. So a wrestler could intentionally leave his shoe tied loose to pull off and get an escape if that scenario presented itself.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:57 am

1. I don't know any official who wouldn't recognize a loose shoe and not properly secured when the step on the mat. 2. I don't know many coaches that would let a kid step on mat with shoes not properly secured. I guess it comes down to integrity, you ether have it or you don't.

I personally like the way WV calls it because of the above reasons. Hate to hit a wrestler for a technical violation on a shoe that takes a lot of force to come off if the above steps are in place.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:52 pm

forthekids wrote:1. I don't know any official who wouldn't recognize a loose shoe and not properly secured when the step on the mat. 2. I don't know many coaches that would let a kid step on mat with shoes not properly secured. I guess it comes down to integrity, you ether have it or you don't.

I personally like the way WV calls it because of the above reasons. Hate to hit a wrestler for a technical violation on a shoe that takes a lot of force to come off if the above steps are in place.

I am not saying so loose that it will easily slip off, but it is certainly possible to leave a shoe tied loose enough that if someone is holding onto it that it will come off with some effort without it looking like it is tied loosely. I don't really see any of our wrestlers doing this anyway, I was just discussing.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:03 am

If he's holding on around both ankles, that's probably locked hands anyways.
I say award the escape. If top wrestler would have been trying to advance position rather than lying in the ground, hanging onto an ankle, and trying to stall until time ran out, the situation would have never occurred.
Pick it up and return him to the mat.
sentenceseller

Return to “High School Wrestling”