South Charleston

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

South Charleston

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:17 am

Does South Charleston High School have a team this year?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

guard0544

Re: South Charleston

Postby guard0544 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:50 am

I have seen some of their wrestlers this year.

Eersfan

Postby Eersfan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:23 am

[quote="Bearhugger"]Does South Charleston High School have a team this year?[/quote
YES

Eersfan

Postby Eersfan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:24 am

Bearhugger wrote:Does South Charleston High School have a team this year?

My nephew wrestles for them. It's a small team of maybe 5

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:51 pm

Great little team. Great coaches. Lots of heart there. They may have a few more than 5, but a few of them were 285.

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:41 pm

THEN HOW BOUT HAVE SOMEONE POST THEIR RESULTS ! :x

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:28 pm

How does an AAA team like SC not have close to a full team? Dunbar(which goes to SC now) and SC both had decent programs a while back.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:09 pm

dunbar76 wrote:How does an AAA team like SC not have close to a full team? Dunbar(which goes to SC now) and SC both had decent programs a while back.

No scores posted. No updated schedule posted. I figure 95% of the student body doesn't even know they have a team.

wvherd1

Postby wvherd1 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:04 pm

SC has 5 wrestlers and 3 are 285. Dunbar and SC middle haven't had programs for as long as I can remember! SC doesnt have close to a full team for the same reasons that Capital doesnt. No support from the administration or football coaches.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:20 pm

Both had decent programs at one time. It's a shame. Yes I agree.

EasyMoney78

Postby EasyMoney78 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:13 pm

wvherd1 wrote:SC has 5 wrestlers and 3 are 285. Dunbar and SC middle haven't had programs for as long as I can remember! SC doesnt have close to a full team for the same reasons that Capital doesnt. No support from the administration or football coaches.

Actually the problem is from the bottom up. There are no youth programs in either area and neither middle school has a program. SCMS principal has no interest in having wrestling at the school. If they were to have a MS program, it would have to be at DMS with a joint effort from SCMS. Donnie Mays, SCHS Football HC, plus several coaches on staff support the wrestling program and the 285 wrestlers are football players. The interest from the kids is little to none due to the other factors.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:42 pm

EasyMoney78 wrote:
wvherd1 wrote:SC has 5 wrestlers and 3 are 285. Dunbar and SC middle haven't had programs for as long as I can remember! SC doesnt have close to a full team for the same reasons that Capital doesnt. No support from the administration or football coaches.

Actually the problem is from the bottom up. There are no youth programs in either area and neither middle school has a program. SCMS principal has no interest in having wrestling at the school. If they were to have a MS program, it would have to be at DMS with a joint effort from SCMS. Donnie Mays, SCHS Football HC, plus several coaches on staff support the wrestling program and the 285 wrestlers are football players. The interest from the kids is little to none due to the other factors.

I am sure these challenges exist in many towns. I do recall in the 80s, youth programs were not as common as they are now, South Charleston's Junior Highs (SC and Spring Hill) didn't have wrestling teams, but the high school had a viable squad. In 1982, SC had a state champion and a runner up.

EasyMoney78

Postby EasyMoney78 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:57 am

Bearhugger wrote:
EasyMoney78 wrote:

I am sure these challenges exist in many towns. I do recall in the 80s, youth programs were not as common as they are now, South Charleston's Junior Highs (SC and Spring Hill) didn't have wrestling teams, but the high school had a viable squad. In 1982, SC had a state champion and a runner up.

Yeah but you are talking about an area (now) where wrestling would be way down the line in preference of sports to participate in. Basketball and football are #1 in Dunbar; baseball and basketball is #1 in SC as far as youth sports. They have all of the interest. If you even mention wrestling, kids look at you like you're crazy. The kids that come up through youth programs in other areas of the county, are the ones that these areas are losing due to no MS programs. It hurts the HS in the long run. That is why I mentioned youth programs in the first place. Look at GW as an example, most of their kids came up through youth wrestling together, and wrestled at JA together. There is a continuation there that is missing in SC and Dunbar.

Cummings

Postby Cummings » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:41 am

The Coaches at South Charleston are great guys. They work outside of school and dedicate a lot of time (just like any coach) so they can have a team.

No scores posted. No updated schedule posted. I figure 95% of the student body doesn't even know they have a team.

Until you have spent significant time in any school, you can only speculate. I have read a few posts questioning where teams' schedule, roster, and or results can be found. I believe coaches do the best they can for their kids.

I try to see things objectively. However I grow tired of reading the same folks questioning or "calling out" programs for what they see as inadequate. I suppose you believe you're creating awareness to help wrestling. Maybe we, you, they, whoever can create more free time in our schedule and volunteer to help in the practice room, tournament, or officiate.

Good job to all the small wrestling teams in WV! Keep up the good work.
[color=#FF0000]Lee Cummings

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 am

Cummings wrote:The Coaches at South Charleston are great guys. They work outside of school and dedicate a lot of time (just like any coach) so they can have a team.

Until you have spent significant time in any school, you can only speculate. I have read a few posts questioning where teams' schedule, roster, and or results can be found. I believe coaches do the best they can for their kids.

I try to see things objectively. However I grow tired of reading the same folks questioning or "calling out" programs for what they see as inadequate. I suppose you believe you're creating awareness to help wrestling. Maybe we, you, they, whoever can create more free time in our schedule and volunteer to help in the practice room, tournament, or officiate.

Good job to all the small wrestling teams in WV! Keep up the good work.

Maybe the following questions need to be answered throughout the wrestling community:

1. Many schools are able to post their schedules and their scores. How are they able to do it when others cannot? With a smaller team comes less kids to keep up with and you have even less entries when submitting the scores. Posting your schedule is a ONE TIME A YEAR TASK. Five minutes a year.

2. I am sure the amount of wrestling coaches that exist that work outside of the school is a growing number. This might be where a principal needs to get something set up where a member of the school's faculty helps the "outside the school coaches" with some of the needed administrative tasks to support the current team and promote the sport. Where their is a will, there is a way. I am positive that when it comes to wrestling, some principals have NO WILL!!!!!

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:32 am

South Charleston Roster-138-William McCallister, 145-Logan Mallory, Malaki Greene, 182-Lee Vernado, 195-Romello Taylor, 220-Pager McKracken, 285-Matk Terry. I found this on Track Wrestling.

EasyMoney78

Postby EasyMoney78 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:58 am

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:South Charleston Roster-138-William McCallister, 145-Logan Mallory, Malaki Greene, 182-Lee Vernado, 195-Romello Taylor, 220-Pager McKracken, 285-Matk Terry. I found this on Track Wrestling.

Lee, Romello, and Mark are all 285. Romello is 6'6". You won't miss him. He and Mark both play on the football team.

Return to “High School Wrestling”