Media Coverage

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Media Coverage

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:42 am

If you want to ATTEMPT to get more media coverage for your wrestling team, send me the following:

1. Your local newspaper's name.
2. As many sports writer's names as you can.
3. Your school.
4. News Channel and the people who handle sports for the channel.
5. Provide what you can of the above.

You can post the information here or in a private message.

I can and will keep YOU top secret.

I have two ideas and I will do the work. I don't care what school I help. I will do them all.

Lets go!!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

coach_williams

Re: Media Coverage

Postby coach_williams » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:36 pm

Our local newspaper does a fantastic job of reporting when we have the Big 16. The entire front page of the sports section is a full color spread with photos of each weight class on the podium and the names of the wrestlers and their finishing spot.

What I would really like to see is TV stations covering weekly wrestling results. The only time I ever see wrestling on the news is WSAZs and states, and I doubt Zs would get any air time if it wasn't sponsored by a news station. Every football game at least gets it's final score announced even though there is 30 o 40 games per week, but just 3 or 4 wrestling tournaments a week can't even get a casual mention.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:44 pm

coach_williams wrote:Our local newspaper does a fantastic job of reporting when we have the Big 16. The entire front page of the sports section is a full color spread with photos of each weight class on the podium and the names of the wrestlers and their finishing spot.

What I would really like to see is TV stations covering weekly wrestling results. The only time I ever see wrestling on the news is WSAZs and states, and I doubt Zs would get any air time if it wasn't sponsored by a news station. Every football game at least gets it's final score announced even though there is 30 o 40 games per week, but just 3 or 4 wrestling tournaments a week can't even get a casual mention.

Your idea is sound. Although I know nothing about this, I would say that the news station would need to get the information from the coaches/schools in order for them to report it. We have a little challenge with that here on WVMAT.

More to come.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:56 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
coach_williams wrote:Our local newspaper does a fantastic job of reporting when we have the Big 16. The entire front page of the sports section is a full color spread with photos of each weight class on the podium and the names of the wrestlers and their finishing spot.

Your idea is sound. Although I know nothing about this, I would say that the news station would need to get the information from the coaches/schools in order for them to report it. We have a little challenge with that here on WVMAT.

More to come.

Good point :roll:

Ol'Dad

Postby Ol'Dad » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:18 pm

Marion County is covered by Times West Virginian
The last article I have was written by Tony Wolfe

News channels are WBOY and WDTV

timamos

Postby timamos » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:58 am

Winning this battle is like fixing many other problems:
Identify the problem to the specific persons in your local media in a polite but accurate manner.
Suggest ways to fix it.
Volunteer to help in a way that will make it easier for them.
Follow through with your offer to help.
THANK THEM when they take steps in the right direction.

Parkersburg News & WTAP dropped the ball a time or two last year but after volunteering to help for south and phs and following through, I think the coverage this year has been great. If they miss something they are calling coaches and parents trying to get the information. Local radio appears to be pay only and the local guy ranges from hostile to non responsive. Smile and keep pressing forward.

aacoach75

Postby aacoach75 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:46 am

Moorefield Examiner does a fantastic job covering wrestling threw out the season... Full article on wrestlers and coaches in the beginning of the season.... coverage threwout the season and full coverage at regional and state..... Carl Holcomb is the sports wrighter and not only taking care of Hardy County but all surrounding High Schools in the area.
He has truly been a blessing to help promote wrestling in our area. And many thanks to him!

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:23 pm

aacoach 75, sounds like a strong candidate for Sportswriter of the Year Award, given at the state wrestling tourney.

Tiger44001

Postby Tiger44001 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:58 pm

May want to try something on the local front besides tv. Do a weekly pod cast on the local wrestling scene. I'm from up in Ohio, and my old local county I used to live in just started this. 10 minutes or so in length and gives a recap of the past week and what's coming up! Sponsored by local AM radio station, ( WEOL), NEWSPAPER, (CHRONICLE TELEGRAM), and an insurance company. Check it out! Only a thought and an idea.!

aacoach75

Postby aacoach75 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:17 pm

coach_stump wrote:aacoach 75, sounds like a strong candidate for Sportswriter of the Year Award, given at the state wrestling tourney.

Coach Stump he most certainly is.... and it would be well deserved. He goes above and beyond his duties of Hardy County by sending information and pictures to Petersburg and Keyser papers. And most events are posted on social media.

Return to “High School Wrestling”