Dutton Questions

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
ZZChooseTop

Dutton Questions

Postby ZZChooseTop » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:41 pm

Who wins dutton? a one time placer with the most wins in wv high school history or a 4x champ with fewer career wins? Who decides on the award? Both are amazing accomplishments.
I thought they got it right last year but would not have minded if Noah and Jacob split the award.

csmith11

Re: Dutton Questions

Postby csmith11 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:51 pm

there is a committee that votes on it if I'm not mistaken. setting the win total is amazing but i don't think that will be enough to overtake 2x powerade champ ironman/super 32 placer and most likely 4x state champ that has dominated wv wrestling.

69fan

Postby 69fan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:56 pm

Mundy is good and will set a huge career win total that will be almost impossible to beat but wont even be in consideration for the Dutton. JH already has that locked up for the year.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:57 pm

WV sportswriters vote on it! I agree easy choice this year if nothing changes!

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:11 pm

csmith11 wrote:there is a committee that votes on it if I'm not mistaken. setting the win total is amazing but i don't think that will be enough to overtake 2x powerade champ ironman/super 32 placer and most likely 4x state champ that has dominated wv wrestling.

As you stated, the win total is a great accomplishment, however, I don’t think there is really debate on who will get the award. Mundey is a great wrestler, but I watched him be dominated in the finals of Braxton tournament last year. That same opponent was then dominated by Humphreys.

This year will be an easy choice.

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:25 pm

If it is the best wrestler in the state, and not the best career, then the answer is extremely simple. It's the 4x Fargo champ, undefeated, winner of two tournaments nationally ranked, and #1 recruit in his class. Amos should walk away with the award 3 straight times.

mattman

Postby mattman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Josh Humphreys

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:45 pm

Here is a reminder I received...

100% sports writers do not vote on this -- it's a Panel of "EXPERTS" --- and those "EXPERTS" i.e. coaches, wrestling official(s)...are the committee who VOTES -- sponsored by PBURG NEWS and SENTINEL --

INTENDED to go to the "BEST WRESTLER" in the state of W.Va. -- for said year -- obviously, has been a "career award" and probably rightfully so.
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

Qualityshots

Postby Qualityshots » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:45 pm

A real quick answer is this. If it had anything to do with career wins and wrestling Tory Bennett would have won it back in 2012. I have always been confused as to how they vote. Yes clearly the winner in 2012 was VERY deserving but this post ask a question to which both can be answered. In 2012 Bennett broke the win record and was crowned 3X as AA State Champ. He was an offseason wrestler all of his life, and was involved and won some national matchups. He was the most dominating wrestler in his class. So if the criteria was wins and accolades Bennet would have recieved the Dutton in 2012. So they decided to give it to this guy named Dylan Cottrell which was also the most dominating wrestler in his class 4 years running. He owned the mat. BUT as for the win record that would belong to tory. Now it sounds as though I think Dylan was not deserving. THAT WOULD BE WRONG. This post was talking about the win record. This year I believe its very clear as to who the Dutton goes to. Guy by the name of Braxton Amos. Guys like Haught, Smith, Cottrell, Diehl, Amos, Adams etc. are putting WV back in the limelight .

wiseone

Postby wiseone » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:11 pm

Doc,
Who in their right mind would consider or believe wrestling officials as an expert? LOL

aacoach61

Postby aacoach61 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:30 pm

These are great arguments and Tory and Dylan were both great high school wrestlers. BUT everyone needs to chill about “all-time wins.”

In my view forfeits should be deducted from each wrestler’s career wins totals and multiple wins against the same wrestler should only be counted once.

A win against a quality ranked wrestler is worth 10X wins against the same wrestler and 100X the number of forfeit wins. The Dutton Award is for the best wrestler in the state, not the most active or the one who weighed in the most times.

RickDunbar

Postby RickDunbar » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:33 pm

I think the voters get it right about every year. I can't say for sure...but it would be my guess that if the Amos family had a vote for the Dutton Award for this year, they would throw it Josh Humphrey's way. It is this kind of character which it takes to raise a young man as talented and impressive as Braxton.

Josh Humphrey certainly deserves to be recognized with this distinguished award based upon his talent, work ethic and outstanding character which he has displayed as a representative of our State over the past 4 years.

I also believe that the award should only be awarded to a wrestler one time. There are certainly multiple candidates each year. Once a wrestler is labeled as a winner of the award, he is a Dutton Award Winner....let someone else also be recognized since it is such an exclusive club.

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:03 pm

wiseone wrote:Doc,
Who in their right mind would consider or believe wrestling officials as an expert? LOL

For the sake of being too truthful here, I would like to point something out. I get that you are joking but there are wayyyyy too many officials that actually believe that they do know more about wrestling than every single coach that they encounter. I see it over and over, any time there is a call in question and there is a discussion during the match, it is quickly shot down by an official, and obviously never reversed. Let’s think about something for a second. Do officials really believe that they are completely right all of the time? Do you think that maybe, just maybe, coaches do know what they’re talking about? Just like it is easier for a coach to potentially see a move that is open for their wrestler, it could also be safe to say that it could be easier for a coach to see things that officials can’t. It’s extremely irritating when officials are always quick to dismiss anything that a coach may suggest. I’m sure it’s probably more annoying for coaches. If you watch the relationships between NCAA officials and coaches, they both seem to want the right call to always be made no matter who was initially incorrect in their judgement. High school officials and coaches are not like this at all. Although you may have been joking, I truly hope that you are not this type of official.
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:13 pm

2012 was a tough year to win. 4x champs David Jeffrey, Adam bicak, and Dylan cottrell, 3x champs Elijah hull, Tory Bennett. All of which had all-American honors. That year was a tough one for them to choose a winner but I think the right guy got it. history shows the dutton is a senior award and idk if a underclassman has ever won it but I would say amos would be a prime candidate to win it multiple times. Josh has a pretty impressive resume with some wins over several top 20 guys with his losses coming to one of the top p4p guy and another ranked wrestler. I think josh takes it this year.

timamos

Postby timamos » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:45 pm

RickDunbar wrote:I think the voters get it right about every year. I can't say for sure...but it would be my guess that if the Amos family had a vote for the Dutton Award for this year, they would throw it Josh Humphrey's way. It is this kind of character which it takes to raise a young man as talented and impressive as Braxton.

Josh Humphrey certainly deserves to be recognized with this distinguished award based upon his talent, work ethic and outstanding character which he has displayed as a representative of our State over the past 4 years.

I also believe that the award should only be awarded to a wrestler one time. There are certainly multiple candidates each year. Once a wrestler is labeled as a winner of the award, he is a Dutton Award Winner....let someone else also be recognized since it is such an exclusive club.

I'm not on here often anymore. Mostly checking scores and private messages. Once in a while I look at the message board when someone tells me I should. This is one of those times.
Guys, Braxton should not even be in the Dutton discussion. Josh has dominated WV for 4 years and placed at every national tournament that he entered this year. He's a leader on and off of the mat. If I had a vote he would get my vote.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:37 am

timamos wrote:
RickDunbar wrote:I think the voters get it right about every year. I can't say for sure...but it would be my guess that if the Amos family had a vote for the Dutton Award for this year, they would throw it Josh Humphrey's way. It is this kind of character which it takes to raise a young man as talented and impressive as Braxton.

I'm not on here often anymore. Mostly checking scores and private messages. Once in a while I look at the message board when someone tells me I should. This is one of those times.
Guys, Braxton should not even be in the Dutton discussion. Josh has dominated WV for 4 years and placed at every national tournament that he entered this year. He's a leader on and off of the mat. If I had a vote he would get my vote.

This old guy has just been blessed to watch both of these guys wrestle together this year. Perhaps a once in a lifetime blessing.
Moderator WV Mat

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:11 am

To be a finalist and in the discussion for the Dutton is an honor in itself and no one should be offended to not win it. Heisman finalist, Miss America finalist, Oscar nominee, etc., it's all good.

Best of the Best of the Best clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwG4pCLFdHA

Chadporter

Postby Chadporter » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:05 am

I would like to see it treated like the Heisman trophy where previous winners may cast a vote for the current year's winner if they choose to. Currently that would be 34 more votes, assuming everyone would participate.

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:56 am

timamos wrote:

So the best wrestler in the state shouldn't be considered for the award for the best wrestler in the state? Dad, let him get his award.

Return to “High School Wrestling”