Rankings are posted

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
guard0544

Rankings are posted

Postby guard0544 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:49 pm

:geek:

Bearhugger

Re: Rankings are posted

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:03 pm

The first rankings and the regional seeding all come out almost on the same day. The interesting aspect is some wrestlers are ranked #1 but seeded #2 within their region.

I understand that rankings are not used for seeding purposes.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:10 pm

Bearhugger wrote:The first rankings and the regional seeding all come out almost on the same day. The interesting aspect is some wrestlers are ranked #1 but seeded #2 within their region.

http://4d9c4tgwuo512loe32473ag5.wpengin ... iteria.pdf

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:23 pm

maskedman wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:The first rankings and the regional seeding all come out almost on the same day. The interesting aspect is some wrestlers are ranked #1 but seeded #2 within their region.

Thank you. I didn't even ask for the seeding criteria this time. That was quick.

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:44 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
maskedman wrote:

Thank you. I didn't even ask for the seeding criteria this time. That was quick.

You have become too predictable in what your next posts will be

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:05 pm

maskedman wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

You have become too predictable in what your next posts will be

Saves us all time. I am still bewildered why seeding criteria has become so top secret this season.

tawilliams

Postby tawilliams » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:40 am

AAA-195, Ryan Williams-WW beat Tanner Ball-Huntington

tnur12

Postby tnur12 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:26 am

Seeding info. has not been secret. Rather then ask on the forum for it ask a coach of a team involved in the tournament directly.

69fan

Postby 69fan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:01 am

tawilliams wrote:AAA-195, Ryan Williams-WW beat Tanner Ball-Huntington

Theres quite a few kids ranked below kids they have beat. Theres also a few unranked that have beat kids that are ranked. They'll do another set after regionals that should be more accurate.

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:27 am

69fan wrote:
tawilliams wrote:AAA-195, Ryan Williams-WW beat Tanner Ball-Huntington

Theres quite a few kids ranked below kids they have beat. Theres also a few unranked that have beat kids that are ranked. They'll do another set after regionals that should be more accurate.

the lack of accuracy is attributable to a School's lack of participation.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:49 am

This late in the season, a straight head to head match may not be the only factor considered. Other common opponent wins/losses could impact the ranking if there is a notable distinction in the results between two wrestlers vs. the same opponents.

JennyHannan

Postby JennyHannan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:51 am

Please accept my apologies for overlooking that Ryan Williams beat Tanner Ball. I see that he beat him 3-2 at the MSAC. I take full responsibility for that, as I was helping Doc out at the last minute so he could get the individual rankings out. I totally missed it, and I'll make sure we get it corrected for the post-regional rankings, as these two wrestlers won't be facing each other at the regional. We opened up the rankings discussion to the coaches, and several of them were great about pointing out corrections.

I'm sure there are plenty of lower-ranked wrestlers who have beaten higher-ranked wrestlers, and some wrestlers deserving to be ranked who wrestle for the schools from whom we don't have many results. (And I personally don't mind going to multiple sites to obtain results; I've been doing it for years.)

Doc and I will be happy to evaluate any results that we overlooked, as long as you can tell us when the event was, where it was, and what the score was. The WVMat rankings go off submitted results (granted, we overlook a few), so keep that in mind.

When you think about it, rankings, seedings, and predictions can all be totally different! I have to work all weekend, so maybe in my down time I can dig up an example of what I'm talking about.

tawilliams

Postby tawilliams » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:39 pm

JennyHannan

You guys did a great job, and my post was not meant as critical in any way. It just seemed relevant to the subject. I am not trying to hid who I am, I am Ryan’s dad, and of course I watch all of his matches. I understand that you guys are looking through a ton of information, to come up with the most accurate top ten you can. Honestly I thought Ryan had a chance to be somewhere around 8-10, and it might be relevant in the future. Any losses he’s had is in your top ten now, either in AAA-195, AAA-220, or AA-195, except Aaron Davis of Greenbrier East, who dropped from 220 to 195, and is somebody that may also have a chance to break into the top ten. I have watched Tanner Ball for several years now and know he is a quality wrestler, I meant nothing against him. I have used wvmat for years now, but have rarely posted anything. Wvmat is a great use to youth, middle school, and high school coaches, wrestlers and parents, and you guys truly do a great job. Unfortunately we found out today that Ryan’s season is over and he won’t get to wrestle at regionals, but he will continue to work hard and be ready for next year. Thanks.

Tommy Williams

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:59 am

Hate to hear that for any kid. Best wishes. What happened? If it's of a private nature don't answer.

Return to “High School Wrestling”