What would I do?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
DongerWrestle

What would I do?

Postby DongerWrestle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:53 pm

As I sit here and ponder the hot topic from this year’s tournament. I sit here and ask myself, what would I do if I was in that situation. First, I would not want to be shortsighted. I would not want the prestige and excitement of holding a wooden plaque in my hand to blind me from doing the right thing. If I sat down and watched that video as a wrestler or a parent I would see that the score was 6-5. In that case I’ve got two options. First, I can keep the award and move on. Second, I could look at that and offer up the title and do the right thing. There is big honor in doing that. If my son wanted to move onto the next level and wrestle I would think that most colleges would look at that in a positive light and want a kid like that on their team. I also think college coaches that see the video and no might not want a kid like that on their team if they kept it. Keep it and you will always have an asterick beside your title. Give it back, and I think a kid like that would be the peoples wrestler! In today’s world of instant gratification and flash, that is not a very sexy move. But wow! How I would root for a kid that had the insight to look at something and make the right choice. Even if their coach, the officials, and the WVSSAC doesn’t do the right thing. I don’t know either boy, but they both seem like pretty good kids. I just know what my son and I would do if we were in that situation. I had to get that off my chest.

WP1992

Re: What would I do?

Postby WP1992 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:32 pm

I continue to wonder how, during the match, the opposing coach didn't also help to correct the score. How can you knowingly put your athlete in a position where you know the score is wrong and not say something? Who would be ok winning like that? I just don't get it.

aacoach61

Postby aacoach61 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:43 pm

I did have a similar situation arise one time at the WV state youth wrestling tournament. The match was over and my son's opponent (who went on to become a 3-time AAA state champ at Parkersburg) was about to have his hand raised. The Parkersburg father, who later became a good friend of mine, rushed onto the mat and told the officials and the table scorer that his son had not won, but that it was in fact tied 7-7. He was right and the match went in to overtime. I was honestly relieved when his son got the first takedown. I had missed the scoring error but hope I would have done the same thing. It is not fair to assume otherwise.

That being said, as much as I really feel for all parties involved, I don't think the WVSSAC has the authority to do anything under Rule 6.6 at this point. Here is an excerpt from the National Federation of High Schools wrestling rules website:

“Scoring errors can be made by the official or the scorer and can impact either the match or team score. Their correction depends entirely on whether they occur in a dual meet or tournament, and whether it is a recordable or computational error.

To appreciate the various remedies afforded under Rule 6-6-4a and b, let’s first distinguish a recordable error from a computational error.

A recordable error is one in which the correct points and/or designated scoring symbol was erroneously entered on the scorebook or bout sheet.
A computational error is when a wrestler’s or team’s score is incorrectly added together.

The correction process is handled differently depending on whether it is encountered in a dual meet or tournament.
Tournament match scoring errors:
A recordable error must be corrected prior to the offended wrestler leaving the mat area if additional wrestling is necessary (Mat Area: Rule 2-1-5: the wrestling mat plus 10 feet). Otherwise, when additional wrestling is NOT necessary, the offended wrestler or coach must remain in the mat area.
A computational error must be corrected prior to the next match in which either wrestler competes. Again, if additional wrestling is necessary, it must be corrected prior to the offended wrestler leaving the mat area.

Dual meet or tournament team scoring errors:
Recordable or computational errors must be corrected within 30 minutes after the conclusion of the dual meet or tournament.

Obviously, errors create stressful situations for all concerned and could easily turn a competitive match/event into a major distraction. Avoiding errors is every official’s goal. But when they do occur, and given a thorough understanding of Rule 6-6, officials can approach such situations, equipped to act quickly and decisively to return everyone’s focus back to the action.”

Underdog3382

Postby Underdog3382 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:09 pm

DongerWrestle wrote:As I sit here and ponder the hot topic from this year’s tournament. I sit here and ask myself, what would I do if I was in that situation. First, I would not want to be shortsighted. I would not want the prestige and excitement of holding a wooden plaque in my hand to blind me from doing the right thing. If I sat down and watched that video as a wrestler or a parent I would see that the score was 6-5. In that case I’ve got two options. First, I can keep the award and move on. Second, I could look at that and offer up the title and do the right thing. There is big honor in doing that. If my son wanted to move onto the next level and wrestle I would think that most colleges would look at that in a positive light and want a kid like that on their team. I also think college coaches that see the video and no might not want a kid like that on their team if they kept it. Keep it and you will always have an asterick beside your title. Give it back, and I think a kid like that would be the peoples wrestler! In today’s world of instant gratification and flash, that is not a very sexy move. But wow! How I would root for a kid that had the insight to look at something and make the right choice. Even if their coach, the officials, and the WVSSAC doesn’t do the right thing. I don’t know either boy, but they both seem like pretty good kids. I just know what my son and I would do if we were in that situation. I had to get that off my chest.

As I posted under another topic, it is not as simple as just changing the score and belatedly awarding the title to Alex Hart. As you are all aware, the score frequently dictates how you wrestle - which shots you take and don't take. Mr. Ward would have a valid argument that if the score were "fixed" pursuant to Coach Hart's argument, then he likely would have wrestled differently potentially leading to an outcome in his favor.

It wouldn't be right to, after the match, change the score and assume Mr. Ward and Mr. Hart would have wrestled in the exact same manner in the third period. I know it has been argued by Coach Hart that a scoring error is different than an error in judgment (i.e., angle of shoulders, quick counts, quick pins, who has control). However, the effect is exactly the same. We have errors in judgment that determine the winner all the time. I saw many take place in the finals of the state tournament this year. If a bad call happens -scoring error or judgment error - the wrestler just has to look at the score and find a way to win with the hand he has been dealt. Both wrestlers knew the score was 5-3 near the beginning of the third period, whether it was right or wrong. From that point forward, Mr. Ward did what was necessary to win the match. If both knew it was 5-2 instead, Mr. Ward may have still won the match. Any argument that Mr. Hart "won" the match requires you to assume that everything else would stay the same, even though the most important thing (the score) changed.

Neither Mr. Ward nor his coach should be expected to turn the championship over when I am sure they believe Mr. Ward would (or could) have won despite any alleged scoring (or judgment) error. The fact that they have not voluntarily turned over the title is not unethical. Both Mr. Hart and Mr. Ward are victims in this situation.

DongerWrestle

Postby DongerWrestle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:26 pm

Underdog3382 wrote:
DongerWrestle wrote:As I sit here and ponder the hot topic from this year’s tournament. I sit here and ask myself, what would I do if I was in that situation. First, I would not want to be shortsighted. I would not want the prestige and excitement of holding a wooden plaque in my hand to blind me from doing the right thing. If I sat down and watched that video as a wrestler or a parent I would see that the score was 6-5. In that case I’ve got two options. First, I can keep the award and move on. Second, I could look at that and offer up the title and do the right thing. There is big honor in doing that. If my son wanted to move onto the next level and wrestle I would think that most colleges would look at that in a positive light and want a kid like that on their team. I also think college coaches that see the video and no might not want a kid like that on their team if they kept it. Keep it and you will always have an asterick beside your title. Give it back, and I think a kid like that would be the peoples wrestler! In today’s world of instant gratification and flash, that is not a very sexy move. But wow! How I would root for a kid that had the insight to look at something and make the right choice. Even if their coach, the officials, and the WVSSAC doesn’t do the right thing. I don’t know either boy, but they both seem like pretty good kids. I just know what my son and I would do if we were in that situation. I had to get that off my chest.

As I posted under another topic, it is not as simple as just changing the score and belatedly awarding the title to Alex Hart. As you are all aware, the score frequently dictates how you wrestle - which shots you take and don't take. Mr. Ward would have a valid argument that if the score were "fixed" pursuant to Coach Hart's argument, then he likely would have wrestled differently potentially leading to an outcome in his favor.

It wouldn't be right to, after the match, change the score and assume Mr. Ward and Mr. Hart would have wrestled in the exact same manner in the third period. I know it has been argued by Coach Hart that a scoring error is different than an error in judgment (i.e., angle of shoulders, quick counts, quick pins, who has control). However, the effect is exactly the same. We have errors in judgment that determine the winner all the time. I saw many take place in the finals of the state tournament this year. If a bad call happens -scoring error or judgment error - the wrestler just has to look at the score and find a way to win with the hand he has been dealt. Both wrestlers knew the score was 5-3 near the beginning of the third period, whether it was right or wrong. From that point forward, Mr. Ward did what was necessary to win the match. If both knew it was 5-2 instead, Mr. Ward may have still won the match. Any argument that Mr. Hart "won" the match requires you to assume that everything else would stay the same, even though the most important thing (the score) changed.

Neither Mr. Ward nor his coach should be expected to turn the championship over when I am sure they believe Mr. Ward would (or could) have won despite any alleged scoring (or judgment) error. The fact that they have not voluntarily turned over the title is not unethical. Both Mr. Hart and Mr. Ward are victims in this situation.

Good point! I’ll give you that. I just wish the right thing was done during the match. Like I said, I have no dog in the fight. This was just such an obvious error to hundreds if not maybe a few thousand at Big Sandy that why didn’t the coach step up and do what’s right at the right time. I’ve watched our coaches for years correct mistake that hurt our boys scores. But it was the right thing to do!

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Considering Ward was losing until the final two seconds (also bogus IMO but judgement call so irrelevant) I would disagree with Your arguemwnt that he would approach the match differently.

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:13 pm

WP1992 wrote:I continue to wonder how, during the match, the opposing coach didn't also help to correct the score. How can you knowingly put your athlete in a position where you know the score is wrong and not say something? Who would be ok winning like that? I just don't get it.

WP1992, i am with you 100% !!
BUT, Assuming those guys at Winfield would do the right thing is mistake number 1! They knew the score was wrong and did nothing to change it. They did it then, they'd do it tomorrow, and they'll do it 10 years from now.. That's just how those guys operate there at Winfield. They are perfectly fine with winning like that..

"Watch out for the ringworm !"
-Susan B Anthony

Eersfan

Postby Eersfan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:23 pm

ringworm14 wrote:
WP1992 wrote:I continue to wonder how, during the match, the opposing coach didn't also help to correct the score. How can you knowingly put your athlete in a position where you know the score is wrong and not say something? Who would be ok winning like that? I just don't get it.

BUT, Assuming those guys at Winfield would do the right thing is mistake number 1! They knew the score was wrong and did nothing to change it. They did it then, they'd do it tomorrow, and they'll do it 10 years from now.. That's just how those guys operate there at Winfield. They are perfectly fine with winning like that..

-Susan B Anthony

"Those guy"??? REALLY??? I know plenty of "guys" at Winfield, parents and wrestlers, that are great people! Personally my son. He's wrestled with great respect, integrity, and sportsmanship his entire life. Don't be one of those people. Don't try to smear an entire community because you're upset over something u don't agree with.

J.B. McCallister

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:41 pm

After thinking about this weekends state tournament for a couple of days I've decided to post my thoughts.
Like them or not.
In my opinion the Wvssac and the officials in the last two years have turned out state tournament in to a joke. From the herpie states of last year to the phantom point of this year. I'm disgusted with both organizations and can see how one is part of the other. I have nothing else to say that could be considered positive so I'm taken the advice of an old friend and taking a break from wvmat.
Frank Lusher

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:41 pm

I think there are a lot emotions running both ways on this subject. Please, let’s try avoid personal jabs and not get this thread locked up.

Thank you!

Gator
Moderator WV Mat
Moderator WV Mat

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:53 pm

Eersfan wrote:
ringworm14 wrote:

-Susan B Anthony

"Those guy"??? REALLY??? I know plenty of "guys" at Winfield, parents and wrestlers, that are great people! Personally my son. He's wrestled with great respect, integrity, and sportsmanship his entire life. Don't be one of those people. Don't try to smear an entire community because you're upset over something u don't agree with.

J.B. McCallister

That was more so directed at the coaches. Not the wrestlers or people within the community. Anyways, out of curiosity, since you are from winfield, being honest, do you think that there was a scoring error in the match or no?

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:00 pm

To suggest that anyone should give back an award or surrender it to the rightful owner is absurd. This is a VERY slippery slope. Video evidence may show that one wrestler received an unfair call or point, but unfortunately the time for correcting that has passed. If we are going to start reviewing footage days after the fact and demand that it made right, then my guess is that dozens of wrestlers will want a corrections made for a significant match that he lost because of a bad call or error of some sort.

Calling out a kid on a public forum to "do the right thing' is the wrong thing.

Eersfan

Postby Eersfan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:05 pm

ringworm14 wrote:
Eersfan wrote:
ringworm14 wrote:

-Susan B Anthony

J.B. McCallister

That was more so directed at the coaches. Not the wrestlers or people within the community. Anyways, out of curiosity, since you are from winfield, being honest, do you think that there was a scoring error in the match or no?

I do agree that a point was given that should not have been. I also believe some points were also missed during the course of the match. With all that being said you can't just assume the outcome of the match would have been different one way or another. I realize time was running out in the end but it's not out of the realm of possibilities to think Jamie cld have wrestled to a victory. Regardless of the score at the end of regulation Jamie did what he needed to do in OT to win. I feel bad for both kids. I know it's been equally frustrating for Jamie too. Hopefully everyone involved gains something from it all in the end. If nothing else hopefully it makes wrestling better in the future.

keepitinthecircle

Postby keepitinthecircle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:26 pm

This is the same coaching staff that sent a wrestler to the table using a teammates name at the national guard duals. A party at the table knew better and got it stopped.

DongerWrestle

Postby DongerWrestle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:36 pm

keepitinthecircle wrote:

This is the same coaching staff that sent a wrestler to the table using a teammates name at the national guard duals. A party at the table knew better and got it stopped.

Really? They don’t impress me.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:32 am

Perhaps it is too late to correct this match and the best possible outcome of this very bad situation would be the WVSSAC taking steps to make sure it doesn't ever happen again. It should be investigated thoroughly. Some serious allegations have been made about the assignment of the official to the match and complaints made by coach prior the the tournament. Was it purely coincidence? I'd like to think so.

Riffle

Postby Riffle » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:10 am

I think this goes deeper than a wrestling match. I agree this should have been handled immediately by the coaches, officials, tournament director and the WVSSAC. Every adult associated with this situation has/had the duty and obligation to help and teach these young wrestlers how to become honest, hard- working and law abiding citizens as adults. The outcome of all decisions made by each and every person involved will be long lasting, but mainly for the children (wrestlers) involved. A coach is a teacher, even if not employed as one, but what if they are? If any of the coaches involved are teachers, they are/were on strike to stand up for what they believe is right…. Are our children learning from this strike? Absolutely they are. They are seeing their teachers not come to school to teach class due to lack of pay and better health benefits, but show up to coach a sport. I agree with the state tournament going on, but what lesson did our children learn? Sports are more important than class… Now, to the problem. If the Independence coach protested the score at the score table, then the Winfield coach knew about it. After watching the video, I believe the Winfield coach chose not to do the right thing. At that point in time, winning became the most important thing to him, not teaching the wrestler true integrity. The Puntnam County student Code of Conduct states:
•Students will demonstrate honesty and trustworthiness.
•Students will demonstrate fairness, play by the rules, and will not take advantage of others.
•Students will demonstrate good citizenship by obeying laws and rules, respecting authority, and by cooperating with others.
The children (wrestlers) are not to blame in anyway, but what did he/they learn? Win at all cost? Not to be honest or fair? Not to follow rules, regulations and/or laws? To follow improper teaching/coaching? How can a county school board require students to follow rules and regulations, but not require the same of the teachers/coaches? I believe that this coach/teacher should have to answer those questions… As should the officials, tournament directors, the WVSSAC and both county school boards. Will this example lead to an NCAA violation later in an athlete’s career or possibly breaking laws that would land them in jail or prison…? Only follow what benefits me? Integrity was shown in this matter by the Independence coach only! In my opinion, the Winfield coach shouldn’t be one any longer, this official shouldn’t be one any longer and the scorers at the table shouldn’t be one any longer. The WVSSAC will stand firm and possibly make some changes. If people are unwilling to do their jobs with integrity, honesty and to the best of their abilities teaching our children how to become honest, hard- working and law abiding citizens, then the people supervising these people need to take action and do the right thing!

neverwas22

Postby neverwas22 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:19 pm

This is getting absolutely ridiculous, and there are a lot of grown adults (im guessing) on here that should be ashamed of themselves. This topic has now become a witch hunt and led to personal attacks on referees, and now the staff and team at Winfield. Enough is enough people. Yes, the refs messed the match up. It is a shame to lose a match because a ref/scorekeeper fudged up, especially at that venue. I am sure the Hart family/Indy coaches are doing all they can to let the WVSSAC know the situation so that in the future this does not happen again. Sitting here complaining about it on every other post WILL DO NOTHING. To say that Ward should give up the title is ridiculous. To say the mindset of the match goes unchanged if the proper score is shown means you must never have wrestled. The blame lies with the refs, not with the Winfield coaching staff.

But, since everyone here has such terrible opinions about the current state of reffing in our state, i expect to hear about a large influx of people signing up to be refs. From what i understand, there is a shortage of refs in WV right now. We have people who work 40+ hours a week still traveling around to be refs. Only to see their time rewarded by getting berated and disrespected whenever they make a mistake, which humans frequently do. Attitudes like the ones everyone on here seem to have is exactly why we are losing refs left and right. If you want to change the current ref landscape and increase the quality of our refs, step up. Put down your keyboards, and go sign up to be refs.

Eersfan

Postby Eersfan » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:33 pm

neverwas22 wrote:This is getting absolutely ridiculous, and there are a lot of grown adults (im guessing) on here that should be ashamed of themselves. This topic has now become a witch hunt and led to personal attacks on referees, and now the staff and team at Winfield. Enough is enough people. Yes, the refs messed the match up. It is a shame to lose a match because a ref/scorekeeper fudged up, especially at that venue. I am sure the Hart family/Indy coaches are doing all they can to let the WVSSAC know the situation so that in the future this does not happen again. Sitting here complaining about it on every other post WILL DO NOTHING. To say that Ward should give up the title is ridiculous. To say the mindset of the match goes unchanged if the proper score is shown means you must never have wrestled. The blame lies with the refs, not with the Winfield coaching staff.

But, since everyone here has such terrible opinions about the current state of reffing in our state, i expect to hear about a large influx of people signing up to be refs. From what i understand, there is a shortage of refs in WV right now. We have people who work 40+ hours a week still traveling around to be refs. Only to see their time rewarded by getting berated and disrespected whenever they make a mistake, which humans frequently do. Attitudes like the ones everyone on here seem to have is exactly why we are losing refs left and right. If you want to change the current ref landscape and increase the quality of our refs, step up. Put down your keyboards, and go sign up to be refs.

Amen!!!!!

keepitinthecircle

Postby keepitinthecircle » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:05 pm

neverwas22 wrote:This is getting absolutely ridiculous, and there are a lot of grown adults (im guessing) on here that should be ashamed of themselves. This topic has now become a witch hunt and led to personal attacks on referees, and now the staff and team at Winfield. Enough is enough people. Yes, the refs messed the match up. It is a shame to lose a match because a ref/scorekeeper fudged up, especially at that venue. I am sure the Hart family/Indy coaches are doing all they can to let the WVSSAC know the situation so that in the future this does not happen again. Sitting here complaining about it on every other post WILL DO NOTHING. To say that Ward should give up the title is ridiculous. To say the mindset of the match goes unchanged if the proper score is shown means you must never have wrestled. The blame lies with the refs, not with the Winfield coaching staff.

I thought there was a ref shortage. Thank you for confirming that.

DongerWrestle

Postby DongerWrestle » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:10 pm

All could had been avoided if “winning” coach did the right thing and didn’t just stand there. The one person who could had made it right brought this mess on.

DongerWrestle

Postby DongerWrestle » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:14 pm

Eersfan wrote:
ringworm14 wrote:

-Susan B Anthony

J.B. McCallister

I don’t think anyone is trying to smear a community. The coach, CEO, President, principal is the face of the organization. When your leader makes bad choices they are the ones that put your team, company, School in bad light. You need to address that with your coach.

WrestlingFan1

Postby WrestlingFan1 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:04 am

You could get middle school kids from the stands to do a better job than these guys did this year. Don't take up for them, they messed up and refused to fix it while they had a chance. I agree leave the kids out of it, but there are plenty of adults that need to step up, Winfield coaches included.

neverwas22

Postby neverwas22 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:13 am

DongerWrestle you are clearly trying to shame the Winfield community. Almost every comment on here has been disrespectful towards their team and staff, shame on you. The Winfield coaches are not to blame, the refs and scorekeepers are.

Yes WrestlingFan1, there are plenty of adults that need to step up, including you. As a coach, i expect to see a whole lot of new faces and keyboard warriors as refs this year. You want to fix the problem? Quit crying about refs on the forum, and go be a better ref than the ones we got. Unless you can do a better job, and go out there and do a better job, you are just a symptom of the problem and nothing else. I see a lot of complaining about refs on here, and id agree that a lot of it is justified. Let's see people put their money where their mouths are and do as good of a job as they think they can.

DongerWrestle

Postby DongerWrestle » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:18 am

neverwas22 wrote:DongerWrestle you are clearly trying to shame the Winfield community. Almost every comment on here has been disrespectful towards their team and staff, shame on you. The Winfield coaches are not to blame, the refs and scorekeepers are.

Yes WrestlingFan1, there are plenty of adults that need to step up, including you. As a coach, i expect to see a whole lot of new faces and keyboard warriors as refs this year. You want to fix the problem? Quit crying about refs on the forum, and go be a better ref than the ones we got. Unless you can do a better job, and go out there and do a better job, you are just a symptom of the problem and nothing else. I see a lot of complaining about refs on here, and id agree that a lot of it is justified. Let's see people put their money where their mouths are and do as good of a job as they think they can.

Disagree

Know nothing about the community, and that’s crazy to suggest. Driven by on the interstate is about all I know about the community. Good at football in the 90’s if I remember.

Just not impressed with wrestling leaders over this instance. Don’t know them either, just my opinion.

Whizzer

Postby Whizzer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:43 pm

DongerWrestle wrote:
neverwas22 wrote:DongerWrestle you are clearly trying to shame the Winfield community. Almost every comment on here has been disrespectful towards their team and staff, shame on you. The Winfield coaches are not to blame, the refs and scorekeepers are.

Disagree

Know nothing about the community, and that’s crazy to suggest. Driven by on the interstate is about all I know about the community. Good at football in the 90’s if I remember.

Just not impressed with wrestling leaders over this instance. Don’t know them either, just my opinion.

Have you read all the comments? I don’t think Donger is the only one pointing that out. And I don’t think anyone is trying to paint a whole community as bad. The coaches, maybe.

(Donger, Winfield was really good in the 80’s in Football. They beat us pretty good. They weren’t good at all in the 90’s). Just an FYI.

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:58 pm

2018 WV High School Wrestling is OVER !!

Wrestle this summer Greco/FS every weekend!

Summer wrestlers make winter champions!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”