California State Championships

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach42

California State Championships

Postby aaacoach42 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:06 am

Just going to leave this hear for discussion. If California can pull off a 32 man tournament with multiple pigtails in two days, then the WVSSAC has no excuse. Wrestling starts today on Flo. Finals tomorrow night 7pm.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I am not mistaken it is a combination of a seeded/sectional pill format.

DWM

Re: California State Championships

Postby DWM » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:05 pm

The WVSSAC has plenty of excuses for a lot of things, unfortunately none of them are valid.

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:36 pm

Aaacoach32

I am coaching my team in the CA states as I type this!
But do you have the resources to run a State event such as this one?

I have not been to a WV state tourney in years, so I don’t know What’s changed.

One more note: It is really unfair to compare state to state tourney’s because here in CA we have the best wrestling committee in the nation that prepares our kids to wrestle all year round.

aaacoach42

Postby aaacoach42 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:56 pm

RealGreco wrote:Aaacoach32

One more note: It is really unfair to compare state to state tourney’s because here in CA we have the best wrestling committee in the nation that prepares our kids to wrestle all year round.

I believe you can compare. I lived in California for several years while in the Marines and still have family there. Two of my wife’s brothers coach High School Football. I even followed Poway High School’s Wrestling program a little while I was there. West Virginia has the capabilities of running large tournaments as well. What kills us is the decisions from administrations. One thing you sure have us beat on is athletics. It’s not only because of the amount of participation with children, but as you said, it’s the committee you have in place. If your committee for wrestling is anything like your states football commitee than we can’t even begin to compete. My point was more focused on adopting things that work for other states. The WVSSAC has made unbelievably bad decisions over the years and in my opinion, they are not doing enough to promote the sport of wrestling in this state.

May your wrestlers stay healthy and do well. Good luck on finishing your season.

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:01 pm

I’d be pretty disappointed if we couldn’t handle adding 2.5 rounds of wrestling to our tournament. I’m pretty disappointed it was suggested that WV couldn’t handle a 32 man bracket...HOPEFULLY you meant we’d struggle handling the large number of participants that CA has; which I agree would be a shell shock. Nothing else would really be that hard. WSAZ does it annually.
Tench

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:50 pm

AAAcoach42

Who do you know at Poway? That is who I am helping!
Steven Neal and I are helping out as I used to coach for Fallbrook in the late 90’s as well. You are very correct on the wrestling organization here... it is the best!!
We have masters tournament every weekend and it is a blast!
I bet we have crossed paths many times?
When were you here ?

Thank you for the encouragement because this tournament is very very very tough!

MScoach20

I don’t know how big a place and how much resources it will take to add another day/ time to make any changes.
I know that any West Virginia person can make things happen.

aacoach126

Postby aacoach126 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:56 pm

RealGreco wrote:I don’t know how big a place and how much resources it will take to add another day/ time to make any changes.
I know that any West Virginia person can make things happen.

What do you mean add another day? Our state tournament is already drug out over 3 days.

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:17 pm

AA coach 126
Calm down son!
Reread what I wrote
I don’t know what changed Days / Time

The tourney will probable have some scheduled changes...

We are just talking about positive things

Ok
Enough of this conversation
Got kids to coach in the finals

Have a great weekend everyone

aaacoach42

Postby aaacoach42 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:23 pm

RealGreco wrote:AAAcoach42

Who do you know at Poway? That is who I am helping!
Steven Neal and I are helping out as I used to coach for Fallbrook in the late 90’s as well. You are very correct on the wrestling organization here... it is the best!!
We have masters tournament every weekend and it is a blast!
I bet we have crossed paths many times?
When were you here ?

Thank you for the encouragement because this tournament is very very very tough

When I was there following a little of California wresting it was 15 years ago. I don’t recall the coach then, as I only spoke to him a couple times.

As far as the tournament here in WV it is a 16 man bracket (sometimes), and it is stretched across three days. Ridiculous.

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Was the coach’s name Branstetter?

Yea... well that is the way they roll back home.
Hope you can make some changes there.. :lol:

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:10 pm

Good Luck Chase Saldate of Gilroy. I see he was ranked 6th but couldn’t find him on FLO. Good Luck also to Nick and Nathan Villareal. Great wrestlers from California that we have competed against.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:57 pm

mscoach20 wrote:

I’d be pretty disappointed if we couldn’t handle adding 2.5 rounds of wrestling to our tournament. I’m pretty disappointed it was suggested that WV couldn’t handle a 32 man bracket...HOPEFULLY you meant we’d struggle handling the large number of participants that CA has; which I agree would be a shell shock. Nothing else would really be that hard. WSAZ does it annually.

I have lost a great deal of confidence in what can be handled. Thousands of people witnessed two referees and two score table workers fail to keep up with 7 points scored in less than 5 minutes. Before we add anything to the state tournament, we better slow it down to regain accuracy and safety. 16 man bracket dragged out over 5 to 6 days might be what is needed.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:53 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
mscoach20 wrote:

I have lost a great deal of confidence in what can be handled. Thousands of people witnessed two referees and two score table workers fail to keep up with 7 points scored in less than 5 minutes. Before we add anything to the state tournament, we better slow it down to regain accuracy and safety. 16 man bracket dragged out over 5 to 6 days might be what is needed.

Really? That’s your response? You take a bad instance in officiating, which is completely irrelevant in the realm of running the tournament, and think we can’t handle 16 more wrestlers? Just a heads up, it’s as simple as taking the 32 wrestlers per weight and putting them in one bracket. And I’ll go ahead and stop you before you throw the byes in, because there would be no byes in a single tournament format. We get it. You’re disappointed. Contact Callen...we ALWAYS need refs. Look forward to seeing you in stripes.
Do I need to grab my popcorn again? Last time I did...you left me hanging with no response.
Tench

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:59 pm

mscoach20 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
mscoach20 wrote:

Really? That’s your response? You take a bad instance in officiating, which is completely irrelevant in the realm of running the tournament, and think we can’t handle 16 more wrestlers? Just a heads up, it’s as simple as taking the 32 wrestlers per weight and putting them in one bracket. And I’ll go ahead and stop you before you throw the byes in, because there would be no byes in a single tournament format. We get it. You’re disappointed. Contact Callen...we ALWAYS need refs. Look forward to seeing you in stripes.
Do I need to grab my popcorn again? Last time I did...you left me hanging with no response.

1. I have no idea what you are talking about as for leaving you hanging.
2. I could bring a lot to the table whereas I graduated first grade math.
3. I will send in my application on a napkin.
4. I did referee one year. Nobody got hurt and my scorer's tables did good.
5. Send any further trash talk to private messages.
6. Good luck with the walkout.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:03 pm

Will do PHD.. good kids!

Great tournament and a great deal of college scouts out here as well. A couple of my 3rd-4th and 5th-6th kids are talking to the recruiters.
Is it common to have these scouts being rude to “demand” to talk to a kid while conducting meetings and practices?

Had to throw two of them out of our practices this morning!

Thanks for any responses

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:07 pm

RealGreco wrote:Will do PHD.. good kids!

Great tournament and a great deal of college scouts out here as well. A couple of my 3rd-4th and 5th-6th kids are talking to the recruiters.
Is it common to have these scouts being rude to “demand” to talk to a kid while conducting meetings and practices?

Had to throw two of them out of our practices this morning!

Thanks for any responses

RealGreco, I watched Chase in semis today, bummer! He did not do what I know he can do. He was very reserved. He was facing #2 tho. Anyway, Gilroy is a hammer team and watching their states on Flo today looked very exciting and in a giant arena. Hope Chase can pull out 3rd, he beat #3 earlier so maybe!! Good Luck Sir !!

Edit: I see Chase got 4th, lost 3-2 in consi finals. Very respectable!

aaacoach42

Postby aaacoach42 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:42 pm

I will be honest. I know the CA states facility is larger, but watching on Flo, WV states packed more people watching in the stands for our finals than California. Looks that way.

Update. That place has become packed. I like the spot light.
Last edited by aaacoach42 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaacoach42

Postby aaacoach42 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:43 pm

I do like that elevated single stage with one mat.

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:17 pm

PHD

I agree with you 100% about him being reserve but this is a huge tournament. It is nerve racking for any kid but he did get 4th! Thank You Sir for the luck !

AAAcoach 42

The arena is huge!!!!!
Lots of space to sit and sold out!

Love this place !!

aaacoach42

Postby aaacoach42 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:48 am

RealGreco wrote:PHD

I agree with you 100% about him being reserve but this is a huge tournament. It is nerve racking for any kid but he did get 4th! Thank You Sir for the luck !

AAAcoach 42

The arena is huge!!!!!
Lots of space to sit and sold out!

Love this place !!

Good luck coach.

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:15 am

AAA42coach

Thank You Sir!

Hope to meet you and PHD someday

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:19 pm

The WV state tourney should be 1 class. Take 32 wrestlers and place the top eight.

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:24 pm

RealGreco wrote:AAA42coach

Thank You Sir!

Hope to meet you and PHD someday

Check your pm sir.

Return to “High School Wrestling”