Regionals this weekend

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Dockers

Regionals this weekend

Postby Dockers » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:08 pm

With regionals fast approaching this weekend and no school thus far is the WVYWA going to do anything with the no weight allowance. As of now , it's Tuesday and I, personally, do not see school being in session this week. A lot of counties in WV say "no school no practice" so if that is the case some clubs are not going to be able to practice at all this week. We have been affected by this as our superintendent says all things that can not be made up will allow to go on, but if you can make it up then we will try to make it up. The kids are the ones who will be suffering as they have regionals this weekend and some are told they can not practice. If anyone can offer any advise it would be appreciated.

CoachontheHill

Re: Regionals this weekend

Postby CoachontheHill » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:18 pm

WVYWA will have regionals this weekend. There is still no weight allowance from 4u to 12u.

mattman

Postby mattman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:47 am

Wvywa weight rules states as long as a 12 year old or younger has made their base weight the receive a 1lb allowance at regionals and a 2lb allowance for the state tournament. Middle school will follow wvssac weight rules. Someone please clarify

TAYLORCOUNTYMAT

Postby TAYLORCOUNTYMAT » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:20 am

mattman wrote:Wvywa weight rules states as long as a 12 year old or younger has made their base weight the receive a 1lb allowance at regionals and a 2lb allowance for the state tournament. Middle school will follow wvssac weight rules. Someone please clarify

I believe if they are wrestling in the 12u and below there is no weight allowance at Regional's and then 1lb at States. If they are wrestling Middle School there is a 2pd allowance at Regional's and 3pd allowance at States. Rules were changed at the end of last year from what was this year.

WVYWA

Postby WVYWA » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:15 am

This was published on the Home page of http://www.wvywa.com which is the same place the rules can be found.
This change modified Section 4 or essentially suspend Section 4 involving base weights and since there are no base weight qualifiers this year, wrestler will be required to make base weight at the regional tournaments. Essentially the Regional Tournament became the base weight qualifier and as such base weight is enforced.

5. Base Weight/Qualifying Tournament

The WVYWA has elected to modify the base weight rule. No longer does a wrestler have to make a base weight at a qualifying tournament. There is no base weight. The weight class the wrestler wrestles at their Regional Tournament will be their qualifying weight for the WVYWA State Championship. Wrestlers will still be required to wrestle at a least one member tournament each year.

The following sentences were added this morning to clarify the issue.
Youth wreslters must make base weight at Regionals. Youth wrestlers will receive a 1 lb allowance at the WVYWA State Championship in Beckley.

For the middle school division, wrestlers will receive a 2 lb allowance(this is in accordance with the WVSSAC 2 lb allowance received in December) at Regionals and 3 lb at the WVYWA State Championship in Beckley

vaportrails14

Postby vaportrails14 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:34 am

after hearing from a few parents and a coach some kids didnt make weight and got moved when the rule clearly states cant move or combine weight classes one another thing from yesterday alot of parents dont like the regions being bigger either. but why have rules if not going to follow the kids thay got moved wasnt middle school either

Wrestlewv

Postby Wrestlewv » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:02 am

vaportrails14 wrote:after hearing from a few parents and a coach some kids didnt make weight and got moved when the rule clearly states cant move or combine weight classes one another thing from yesterday alot of parents dont like the regions being bigger either. but why have rules if not going to follow the kids thay got moved wasnt middle school either

Wvywa website has the changes to the rules on it. We had no issues with kids making weight in region. Everyone seemed to be aware of the changes. Might be a lack of communication from coaches to parents/kids.

Dockers

Postby Dockers » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:17 am

Yes Region II did allow wrestlers to move up in weight when it was stated that was not allowed. Although they did not combine weight classes. The regions do need reclassified. Region II had 364 participants from what I heard while some of the others had just over 200. This weekend will tell as I believe we will see a bunch of Region II wrestlers on the podium.

Also, I am still upset the WVYWA did not allow a weight allowance for regionals. These kids are now at 8 days with not being in school. Some of them have had practices cancelled. A lot of these kids also probably haven't had two good meals a day let a lone three a day. Some of these kids rely on meals provided by the school. I think this was a huge let down by our association by not giving a weight allowance.

vaportrails14

Postby vaportrails14 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:58 am

Dockers wrote:Yes Region II did allow wrestlers to move up in weight when it was stated that was not allowed. Although they did not combine weight classes. The regions do need reclassified. Region II had 364 participants from what I heard while some of the others had just over 200. This weekend will tell as I believe we will see a bunch of Region II wrestlers on the podium.

Also, I am still upset the WVYWA did not allow a weight allowance for regionals. These kids are now at 8 days with not being in school. Some of them have had practices cancelled. A lot of these kids also probably haven't had two good meals a day let a lone three a day. Some of these kids rely on meals provided by the school. I think this was a huge let down by our association by not giving a weight allowance.

yes region 2 was the region i was talking and agree with regions need to be reclassified. i understand state being long but regionals was ridiculous

vaportrails14

Postby vaportrails14 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:43 pm

Dockers wrote:Yes Region II did allow wrestlers to move up in weight when it was stated that was not allowed. Although they did not combine weight classes. The regions do need reclassified. Region II had 364 participants from what I heard while some of the others had just over 200. This weekend will tell as I believe we will see a bunch of Region II wrestlers on the podium.

the first sentence region 2 they allowed them to move up in weight. i agree regions need to be reclassified maybe make the eastern panhandle back to it own region. my boy got done at 1:30 his bracket he was in got done around 4 waited til 6 for his bracket to get printed out to pay when the previous 2 years done and paid for from the sounds from few parents they dont like regions being combine

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:04 pm

Which it is horrible that kids are not getting fed if that's the case, but if they aren't getting fed I am not sure why allowance would be necessary?

James

Postby James » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Goldenponyboy wrote:Which it is horrible that kids are not getting fed if that's the case, but if they aren't getting fed I am not sure why allowance would be necessary?

My first thought, just didn't wanna say it. These kids are 12 years old or younger, shouldn't need a weight allowance, imo. No kid at this age should be cutting much weight, also imo. And if they can't work out at home to say up 2 par, that's on them. It is tough to get him going sometimes, but my wrestler does his working out at home. Further more, I don't have a problem with bumping up at regionals. But there is a rule, and to break it because you upset? What if the assosiaton does not allow these you wrestlers to compete? Be a lot of people upset.

Wrestlewv

Postby Wrestlewv » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:00 pm

vaportrails14 wrote:

yes region 2 was the region i was talking and agree with regions need to be reclassified. i understand state being long but regionals was ridiculous

Here is the thing people are missing about the weights. It has been posted for quite a while and coaches should have relayed this to the parents and kids. As a wrestler you and your parents know what you have to weigh and should make sure you are in weight especially at this point in the season and at this big of a tournament where you aren’t allowed to move up. My kids have never missed making weight and they have had to work as they hover close to it. My 12 year old has ran laps or ran in a treadmill at hotel to make sure he was on weight. Also there are a lot of clubs that have facilities outside of a school and to my knowledge all schools have allowed activities to continue during the work stoppage. People need to be responsible for themselves and stop looking for someone to blame for everything. If you didn’t make weight it is not everyone else’s fault. The rule has been out there posted for a while.

James

Postby James » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:07 pm

Wrestlewv wrote:
vaportrails14 wrote:

Here is the thing people are missing about the weights. It has been posted for quite a while and coaches should have relayed this to the parents and kids. As a wrestler you and your parents know what you have to weigh and should make sure you are in weight especially at this point in the season and at this big of a tournament where you aren’t allowed to move up. My kids have never missed making weight and they have had to work as they hover close to it. My 12 year old has ran laps or ran in a treadmill at hotel to make sure he was on weight. Also there are a lot of clubs that have facilities outside of a school and to my knowledge all schools have allowed activities to continue during the work stoppage. People need to be responsible for themselves and stop looking for someone to blame for everything. If you didn’t make weight it is not everyone else’s fault. The rule has been out there posted for a while.

Agree :D

vaportrails14

Postby vaportrails14 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:31 pm

agree to above post my boy watch his weight worked out ran the treadmill at hotel if you dont make weight like it stated shouldn't wreslte rules are rules

Tjh1234

Postby Tjh1234 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:18 pm

Is the results posted for Region 3 yet

coach999

Postby coach999 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:01 pm

I thought Regionals was exciting and ran well! What’s school have to do with making weight? Well ran tournaments in my opinion.

Wrestlersmom

Postby Wrestlersmom » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:52 pm

I just have a few concerns and don't know if happened at all Region tournaments. I was at the Region II tournament on Sunday. Tournament itself wasn't bad other than
1) projector system they had in gym you could not see you either had to get up and go out to hall way or walk over to head table to see.

2) needed to have both gyms running matches only due to all the wrestlers it was very crowded in the gym people sitting in isle of bleachers around the mats and tables

3) seemed like started very late and it could have been because when it clearly stated on the entry fee if did not make weight you could not move up a weight class. A bunch of weight classes were adjusted to to wrestlers not making weight. If you set a rule it needs to stay in place people work to hard to get brackets straightened to then have to go readjust everything.

4) another major issues was there was know medical staff on duty. Trainer or End. Had to get ice for a child and went to concession they had none said to go see trainer went to head table and was told had no trainer due to the teacher strike. WOW! was all I could think of. I was glad it was nothing major that the child didn't need medical attention. I know at our tournament we have to make sure we have an End and ambulance the entire day. This was just a major concerned thankfully there was no major issues that needed it.

5) was a very long tournament didn't know if was because of all the wrestlers that was in region II

Other than those few things tournament wasn't bad tournament.

Return to “Youth Wrestling”