WV Boys at the D2 Championships

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
EASwrestling

WV Boys at the D2 Championships

Postby EASwrestling » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:18 pm

Just took a quick look at the D2 Wrestling Championship brackets. Looks like three WV boys are #2 seeds in their weight classes. Logan Grass - Mercyhurst - Huntington - 149lbs. Dalton George - Ohio Valley - Williamstown - 174lbs. Terrance Fanning - Wheeling Jesuit - John Marshall - 285lbs. If I missed anyone from WV that qualified, let us know. P.S. - I believe the High Schools that I listed for each one is correct (just going off memory). Great Job Guys!! Making WV proud!!

Wonder Boy

Re: WV Boys at the D2 Championships

Postby Wonder Boy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:55 pm

Fanning went to Preston, not John Marshall.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:03 pm

I believe Fanning went to Preston.

EASwrestling

Postby EASwrestling » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Thanks Guys, I knew that I should have checked on that.

Deerhuntr

Postby Deerhuntr » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:53 pm

Lets not forget about the National Collegiate Wrestling Association. Cody Richmond, former Shady Spring High wrestler and now wrestling at D1 Liberty University placed 3 in the Mid Atlantic conference this weekend pining a boy from Clemson to secure 3rd place and qualify for the NCWA National Tournament in Allen, Texas next week. Liberty University has already won the National Duals Championship this year and our favored in the NCWA National meet in Texas. Lot of great teams and wrestlers in the NCWA and because of Title IV some great schools are competing at this level.

https://ncwa.net/

WhgJesuitWrestling

Postby WhgJesuitWrestling » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Awesome day for Wheeling Jesuit as we qualified a program high 5 Individuals to the NCAA National Championships in Cedar Rapids, IA next weekend! We also have two alternates at 149 & 157. The team finished 3rd out of 15 teams which is also a program best!

133 Dustin Warner
141 Tyler Warner
165 Keegan Driscoll
184 Aidan Pasiuk
285 Terrance Fanning

We appreciate all of the support we receive and look forward to getting after it again!

All the best,

Coach Irwin
Wheeling Jesuit University
#CardinalCulture

EASwrestling

Postby EASwrestling » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:43 pm

I saw that. Fantastic! WJU is setting the new Standard for WV Collegiate Wrestling. Congratulations Coach, to you and your wrestlers. "Making WV Proud"!!

EASwrestling

Postby EASwrestling » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:39 am

Congratulations to Cody Richmond of Shady Springs! I looked for Codys name for WV State Tournament placement and didn't see his name. I don't know if he ever placed at states, but if he didn't, then it shows that if you love the sport, work hard, and stick with it, that you can have success at the next level. I have also personally seen it happen. And yes, I agree, there is no doubt some really tough wrestling going on in the NCWA. Good Luck Cody! Making WV Proud!!

Deerhuntr

Postby Deerhuntr » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:57 pm

THank You, CODY was 7th his senior year ( 2014). He has worked super hard and attended camp at Libery University during high school and got noticed by the coaches. ANthing is possible with hard work and the off season work is what makes a difference, coaches at the next level are always looking for good work ethics, they can mold you into winners if you are willing to put in the time.

Kim Jong-Un-derhook

Postby Kim Jong-Un-derhook » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:44 pm

That’s great! Who did he wrestle for 7th and 8th that year at states?
The physical life of an individual person is limited, but the life of the masses united as an independent social-political organism is immortal.… Only when an individual becomes a member of this community can he acquire the immortal social-political life.

EASwrestling

Postby EASwrestling » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 am

In the most recent NCWA polls Cody Richmond is ranked #13 in the nation. Good Luck next weekend going for All-American status. Making WV Proud!!

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:41 pm

For the record...
I have it on good authority that Logan Grass was not seeded, although he was 3rd in his region.
Just an FYI
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

EASwrestling

Postby EASwrestling » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:11 am

That is why I said in my post "Looks like". There are no #'s associated with the names on the brackets. All three WV wrestlers that I listed placed 3rd in their region, but so did Bunch from West Liberty, but I'm pretty sure that he is the second seed in the tournament. Take a look at the 133lb bracket and you will see that Warner (#1 Nationally ranked) is at the top of the bracket in the traditional #1 seed position and Bunch (#2 Nationally ranked) is at the bottom of the bracket in the traditional #2 seed position. The three WV guys that I listed are all on the bottom of the bracket in the traditional #2 seed position. George was an All-American last year, and all three are fantastic wrestlers with good records. It is not that far fetched to think that all three could be the #2 seeds. It is true that I don't know the definite seeding #'s for the tournament. I just looked at the brackets in a traditional bracketed tournament way. Thanks for the information and replies to my post. Good Luck to all the Home Grown (WV) wrestlers at nationals!! Making WV Proud!!!

EASwrestling

Postby EASwrestling » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Ok, here it is. The whole Div. 2 Championship Tournament seeding thing has been bothering me. I couldn't make sense of where the wrestlers were being placed in the brackets according to national rankings and records. Guess what? They don't seed the wrestlers in the Div. 2 Championship Tournament. Makes a lot more sense now. I copied this directly from the NCAA website......................................(This tournament is made up of only 16 wrestlers per bracket. Further adding to the intrigue is the lack of traditional tournament seeding. Instead, it uses a method common to high school state tournaments that matches up the wrestlers from each region with someone who placed in a different region. Win your region and your first match is against the wrestler who finished fourth somewhere else. Take second and you face the wrestler who finished third in another qualifying event. The Super Regionals were not a good time to have a bad day on the mat. It also means that wrestlers could be facing a very difficult opponent early on. No match is a given and like every other national tournament, expect the blood round (round of 12) to be nothing short of phenomenal as wrestlers leave it all on the mat knowing a win means they are an All-American while a loss means their season is over.)

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:12 am

Kim Jong-Un-derhook wrote:That’s great! Who did he wrestle for 7th and 8th that year at states?
lol

Deerhuntr

Postby Deerhuntr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:45 am

Liberty University won the NCWA National Championship last week in Allen, Texas. This was a sweep of the championships for Liberty by also winning the National Duals in February.

Cody Richmond , former Shady Spring Wrestler and now Wrestling at Liberty University went 3-2 at the tournament with wins over BYU, Washington State and University of New Hampshire. Always good to see the WV boys succeed at the next level.

Always some strong competition in NCWA!!!!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... 3kXD4A0Ytk

http://www.liberty.edu/campusrec/clubsp ... 87&TeamID=

http://www.liberty.edu/campusrec/clubsp ... 79&TeamID=

EASwrestling

Postby EASwrestling » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:36 pm

Great job Cody!! Made it to the Round Of 16. A match or two away from All-American. Only a sophomore I believe. Keep it up Cody and you have a great chance to reach that podium in a year or two. Also saw where Cody has had a couple MMA fights under his belt. Tough kid it sounds like. Stay with it, and good Luck next year. Making WV Proud!!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”