WEST VIRGINIA MAT THOUGHTS
by Dr. Bill Welker
National Wrestling Hall of Famer
Today, I have the extreme pleasure of announcing Mat Talk's 23rd Annual "OVAC Ohio and West Virginia Wrestlers of the Year."
The honorees are determined by a committee of five Ohio Valley wrestling enthusiasts, which includes and is chaired by yours truly. As always, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Bill Hinegardner (1984 Mr. Mat), Ron Mauck (1986 Mr. Mat), Dan Doyle (2005 Mr. Mat), and Dick Wolf for graciously volunteering to serve on this selection board. I have never worked with a more sincere and honorable group of men.
The recipients must be seniors and are chosen on the basis of personal wrestling accomplishments over their entire scholastic careers. This year's winners are Beaver Local's Dylan Ice and Weirton Madonna's Max Nogay.
* 2010 Ohio Div. II State Silver Medalist
* Three-Time Ohio All-State (5th-2008; 3rd-2009; 2nd-2010)
* Two-Time District Champion
* Four-Time Sectional Champion
* Two-Time Ron Mauck OVAC Champion (2009-2010)
* 2010 OVAC Bierkortte Outstanding Wrestler Award &
Herculean Award for Most Falls
* Career Record: 151-28
* Senior Record: 47-3
* Grade Point Average: 3.1
* College Aspirations: Mount Union to Wrestle
* Head Coach: Rich Wright
* Assistant Coaches: Doug Hoppel & Mark Emmerling
* Two-Time West Virginia AA State Champion (2009-2010)
* Two-Time West Virginia Region I Champion (2009-2010)
* Four-Time West Virginia All-State Wrestler
* Two-Time West Virginia Regional Champion (2009-2010)
* 2010 Ron Mauck OVAC Champion (First OVAC wrestling
titlist in Weirton Madonna History)
* 2010 Outstanding Wrestler at Winner's Choice (Fairmont)
and Panther Classic (Buckeye Local)
* Career Record: 118-21
* Senior Record: 36-1
* Grade Point Average: 3.6
* College Aspirations: WVU Pre-Med to play Baseball
* Head Coach: Michael Nogay
* Assistant Coaches: Kevin Felton, Jeremie Nagy, &
Congratulations to Abbie Rush - a former Wheeling Park wrestler. One of only six OVAC wrestlers to win the Ron Mauck OVAC Championship four times, Abbie Rush just graduated from Boston University's prestigious School of Management with high honor grades.
Abbie was a four-year starter on the wrestling team at Boston University, which is in the Colonial Athletic League, with a career record of 74-55.
As I have always stated, "When wrestlers get college scholarships, they go there to graduate."
Again, a "Mat Talk" salute to Abbie Rush - A True Scholar/Athlete!
MAT TALK FINAL EXAM
Since this is the last Mat Talk column of the season, it is again time for my faithful readers to be tested on the facts disseminated throughout the series. There are no grades given, but you can rate yourselves.
True or False
1. There are no longer any individual ties in wrestling.
2. The coach can instruct his wrestler during injury time.
3. A wrestler can never lose if he has a technical fall.
4. Excessive false starts can never disqualify a wrestler.
5. A fall scores the same amount of team points in a dual meet and a tournament.
6. What is baiting an opponent in wrestling designated as in the rulebook?
7. How many match points are awarded for a takedown
right to the back, with the match being stopped due to
the bottom man crying out that he is injured?
8. If Wrestler A applies a straight body scissors while attempting a fall and Wrestler B can not continue, who wins the match?
9. What can eliminate a wrestler from competing in a dual meet or tournament before it starts?
10. If a wrestler secures a takedown while his opponent is a figure-4 head scissors, how many points would he
Special "kudos" are addressed to the following 2010 OVAC individual state champs:
West Virginia: David Jeffrey, Tyler Green and Chris Smith, Parkersburg South; Joel Paolo, Oak Glen; Max Nogay, Weirton Madonna; Kyle Bauer, Wheeling Park.
Furthermore, all OVAC wrestlers who have placed in their respective state tournaments will again receive the WHEELING NEWS-REGISTER's "OVAC Mat Talk All-State Award Winner" certificates for their outstanding performances. This year certificates have been forwarded to 50 local matmen. Since 1982, nearly 1500 certificates have been distributed.
Congratulations to Coach Paul Jackson, his staff, and the "Patriot" wrestling team for winning the Ron Mauck OVAC Over-All Team Title and the West Virginia AAA State Championships.
Coach Jackson was also named the West Virginia AAA Rod Oldham Wrestling Co-coach of the Year, along with Huntington High School's Rob Archer.
This year three area referees were selected to officiate the West Virginia state wrestling tournament in Huntington. They are Shane Kildow, Ray Marling, and Jack Regis, Sr.
Many congratulations are extended to all three of these fine OVAC officials.
Yours truly was extremely pleased to be the first recipient of "The Dr. Tim Miller Media Award" presented by the West Virginia Wrestling Coaches Association. I consider it a profound honor to receive an accolade named after Dr. Miller, a man who is nonpareil in the promotion of wrestling throughout the Mountain State.
Answers to the Mat Talk Final Exam:
1. True; 2. True;
3. False; 4. True; 5. False; 6. Unsportsmanlike Conduct; 7. Four Match Points; 8. Wrestler A; 9. Not Making Weight; 10. Three Match Points.
Check Your Rating
(the number right)
9 to 10 - Referee's Rating (He has the last word.)
6 to 8 - Coach's Rating (He has the next-to-last word.)
3 to 5 - Spectator's Rating (He knew the answer but is now confused because the "ref" and coach are having words.)
0 to 2 - No Rating (You've been watching too much studio "rassling" and are at a loss for words.)
"It takes a man of character to apologize when he has erred; the same is true of he who forgives."
Return to the West Virginia Mat Thoughts Index Page
Return to the WV-Mat front page