WEST VIRGINIA MAT THOUGHTS
by Dr. Bill Welker
... on Choosing a College
When you reach your senior year in high school, you must be prepared to make some very
important decisions. Every year student-
athletes need to consider the big question - "Where should I attend college?" The following ten
queries must be satisfied before you make your final selection:
Remember, you are dealing with your "future." Any decisions made should be taken very
seriously. Your parents, teachers, coaches, and guidance counselors can help with those
choices -- but it is YOU who must live with them!
- 1. Does the college offer the curriculum I wish to take?
- 2. What scholastic and athletic scholarships are
available at this college?
- 3. Can I afford the school?
- 4. What is the percentage of athletes who graduate
from this college?
- 5. How effective is their job placement office?
- 6. Do I want to attend a college far away from home?
- 7. Am I capable of working hard in wrestling and
keeping up with my studies at this school?
- 8. Do I have the physical prowess needed and will
I be given ample opportunities to compete on their
- 9. Can this institution's program meet my aspirations
as a wrestler?
- 10. Are the academic, athletic, and social environments
conducive to my basic nature?
Return to the West Virginia Mat Thoughts Index Page
Return to the WV-Mat front page
Updated July 1, 1997