... on Persistence
PERSISTENCE--Don't just talk about it, live it!
If there were one dominating quality that I would want all my children to possess (even more so than high intelligence), it would be the ability to "bounce back" after their failures in life. Now I, personally, met a man who lived by this doctrine all his life. The following are the obstacles he had to face and overcome by persevering:
1. He was born into a family that was very poor.
2. He was a mama's boy, but she died when he was very young.
3. He was unable to complete his public school education because his dad needed him to help on the farm.
4. As a young man, he tried to start his own business, but failed.
5. He even tried his hand at politics--and lost.
6. He attempted another business venture and as before, lost his shirt.
7. He then suffered a nervous breakdown, but was strong enough in character to defeat his own fears.
8. Finally, he again ran for public office several times, and lost seven out of eight elections.
Yes, I personally met this persistent character in a high school history book and his name is ABRAHAM LINCOLN--the 16th President of the United States.
Oh, by the way, do you know what sport he excelled in as a youth? What else--WRESTLING!
Updated February 3, 1999