WEST VIRGINIA MAT THOUGHTS
by Dr. Bill Welker
... on Excessive Dieting
What are the warning signs to excessive dieting?
Here are what I would term "Symptoms of Excessive Dieting." Carefully read over the following questions:
If you answered "yes" to any one of these questions, then it's
very possible that you are losing too much weight.
Wrestling is one of the most physically challenging sports. You need all the strength and power you have to win the "big" matches. So, don't think dieting is the key to success in the mat sport. If you work on skill improvement, conditioning, and eat sensible foods, proper weight loss will come naturally.
- 1. Are demonstrating signs of unusual "moodiness"
at home and school?
- 2. Do you feel weak and dizzy when you stand up
- 3. At practice, do you think more about your weight
than skill development and conditioning?
- 4. Are you sluggish at practice the day before a
- 5. After meet weigh-ins, are you more concerned
about eating than your strategy for the match?
- 6. Do you think about food all the time?
- 7. Do you dream about eating? (Believe me, this is
a serious question.)
Return to the West Virginia Mat Thoughts Index Page
Return to the WV-Mat front page
Updated November 11, 1997