WSAZ Best Performers

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
HipTossHero

WSAZ Best Performers

Postby HipTossHero » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:16 pm

Now that the first big show of the year in Huntington is over, I’m curious who everyone thinks some of the top performers from the weekend were at each weight class? Doesn’t have to be champions, just someone who stood out to you.

Mine are as follows

106- Craft
113- McComas
120- Griffin
126- Knight
132- Nininger
138- Riggs
144- Murphy
150- Ludrosky
157-Parker
165-Hagedorn
175-Kelly
190- Giompalo
215- Kehler
285- Summers

(This post is not a debate. Just asking opinions on who everyone was PERSONALLY impressed with)

Doyablameme?

Re: WSAZ Best Performers

Postby Doyablameme? » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:12 am

U seem a little heavy on University. Hagedorn ?

HipTossHero

Postby HipTossHero » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:11 am

He was an unseeded kid that pinned/majored his way out until an injury default. Hard not to be impressed with that. University had a great showing as a team, even some of their JV kids made noise. Like I said in the original post these are just my personal picks. You don’t have to agree with them :)

jm0908

Postby jm0908 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:28 pm

Pretty Solid Pics.... :)

jm0908

Postby jm0908 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:56 pm

Pretty Solid I think also Harris at 138 wrestled solid...

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:19 pm

HipTossHero wrote:He was an unseeded kid that pinned/majored his way out until an injury default. Hard not to be impressed with that. University had a great showing as a team, even some of their JV kids made noise. Like I said in the original post these are just my personal picks. You don’t have to agree with them :)

I agree with the notion of being impressed personally despite anything else such as results, etc. However, the seeding meeting had Hagedorn seeded #3 at 150.

Does the team plan to keep him at 165 going forward. I have been tracking all season. Bouncing from 165 to 150 and then back to 165 routinely has to be hard on the young man.

Good luck
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:54 pm

HipTossHero wrote:He was an unseeded kid that pinned/majored his way out until an injury default. Hard not to be impressed with that. University had a great showing as a team, even some of their JV kids made noise. Like I said in the original post these are just my personal picks. You don’t have to agree with them :)

To describe Hagedorn as “ unseeded “ may b technically correct since he changed weight classes but he essentially WAS a seeded wrestler.

HipTossHero

Postby HipTossHero » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:08 pm

Doyablameme? wrote:

To describe Hagedorn as “ unseeded “ may b technically correct since he changed weight classes but he essentially WAS a seeded wrestler.

That’s a fair point! Not sure how he gets moved up to the next weight and is unseeded then. Did this happened with anyone else that you know of?

Opin83d

Postby Opin83d » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:26 pm

106- Craft, is this the highest a female has ever placed at WSAZ high school tournament?

113- McComas, was unchallenged

120- Wood, In a weight class that was heavily bombarded with out of state talent he won it for wv

126- Knight, beat the #1AA at winners choice and #1AAA at WSAZ

132- Andrick, beat the 1 and 2 seeds to become the 2023 WSAZ champion

138- Troy Harris, 11 seed that placed 4th. Had the closest match with the champion and beat 3 wrestlers ranked higher

144- Jarvis, placed 3rd behind two very good out of staters

150- Judah, pinned his way through the entire bracket

157- Parker, beat the #1AA and the #1AAA

165- Edge, Three seed to Runner up good match against a good out of state opponent

175- Felix held off the out of state challengers to give up a wv champion

190- Giompalo, only lost by one in the finals to a skyline wrestler that pinned everyone else

215- Kehler, pinned his way through the entire bracket

285- WSAZ champ by pin in the finals

standincoach

Postby standincoach » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:12 pm

HipTossHero wrote:
Doyablameme? wrote:

That’s a fair point! Not sure how he gets moved up to the next weight and is unseeded then. Did this happened with anyone else that you know of?

:D Seems like that was the point of the post to be honest

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:01 am

standincoach wrote:
HipTossHero wrote:
Doyablameme? wrote:

:D Seems like that was the point of the post to be honest

I think I agree, end discussion.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:07 am

Opin83d wrote:106- Craft, is this the highest a female has ever placed at WSAZ high school tournament?

113- McComas, was unchallenged

120- Wood, In a weight class that was heavily bombarded with out of state talent he won it for wv

126- Knight, beat the #1AA at winners choice and #1AAA at WSAZ

132- Andrick, beat the 1 and 2 seeds to become the 2023 WSAZ champion

138- Troy Harris, 11 seed that placed 4th. Had the closest match with the champion and beat 3 wrestlers ranked higher

144- Jarvis, placed 3rd behind two very good out of staters

150- Judah, pinned his way through the entire bracket

157- Parker, beat the #1AA and the #1AAA

165- Edge, Three seed to Runner up good match against a good out of state opponent

175- Felix held off the out of state challengers to give up a wv champion

190- Giompalo, only lost by one in the finals to a skyline wrestler that pinned everyone else

215- Kehler, pinned his way through the entire bracket

285- WSAZ champ by pin in the finals

I agree with all of these

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:11 pm

Seems I remember that if a wrestler scratches(moved to a different weight than seeded) after the seeding meeting they just get thrown into the bracket. I dont think they reseed after the original seeding meeting at WSAZ.

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:10 pm

In regards to the highest placing female that would be Erica Dye of Wirt County who was a WSAZ Champion defeating a fine wrestler named Hardy from Chesapeake in the finals pretty convincingly. This would have been 1998 if memory serves me well, and it usually does, LOL.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

WVU

Postby WVU » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:04 pm

Panther_coach wrote:In regards to the highest placing female that would be Erica Dye of Wirt County who was a WSAZ Champion defeating a fine wrestler named Hardy from Chesapeake in the finals pretty convincingly. This would have been 1998 if memory serves me well, and it usually does, LOL.

You are indeed correct, but Erica won it in middle school at 75 lbs that year
http://www.wvmat.com/scores/98scores/0124wsaz.htm

The question posed was highest placing female in the HS division. In HS, Erica finished 8th as a junior in 2001
http://www.wvmat.com/scores/01scores/0120wsaz.htm

And she finished 2nd her senior year in 2002
http://www.wvmat.com/scores/02scores/02 ... brk002.htm

However, there were only 19 wrestlers in her bracket in 2002 compared to 42 entries in Craft's 2023 bracket.

2nd/19 entries = Erica Dye in 2002, as a senior
3rd/42 entries = Makenna Craft in 2023, as a sophomore

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:19 pm

Thanks, good info. She definitely deserves all the praise! Two different divisions , I just read the post as highest finisher. Another couple of young ladies from back then who were tough were Brittany Woodall of Buck Upshur who I believe qualified for high school states all four years and may have placed there and a young lady one of my sons wrestled named Kim Trusty from Parkersburg - not sure how long she wrestled but she was quite skilled at the middle school level. There have been many more. Glad to see so many more girls involved to grow the sport.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:28 pm

Any d1 type kids to hope ends ip at wvu? I know Felix visited. Kehler looks well on his way.

Sucks not seeing Wight or Dolan

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:34 pm

Letsgooo wrote:Any d1 type kids to hope ends ip at wvu? I know Felix visited. Kehler looks well on his way.

I want to be clear that I am asking this question with the best of intentions and not with any attempt of being disrespectful or talk in a disparaging manner about any wrestkler. Have either Felix or Kehler in the last couple of years participated in any national tyoe tournament to allow D1 schools to get a feeling on what level they are competative with other D1 level wrestlers? I will admit that I don't follow them or high school wrestling in that manner, so they certainly may have without me being aware of it.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:45 pm

KDunbar wrote:
Letsgooo wrote:Any d1 type kids to hope ends ip at wvu? I know Felix visited. Kehler looks well on his way.

I want to be clear that I am asking this question with the best of intentions and not with any attempt of being disrespectful or talk in a disparaging manner about any wrestkler. Have either Felix or Kehler in the last couple of years participated in any national tyoe tournament to allow D1 schools to get a feeling on what level they are competative with other D1 level wrestlers? I will admit that I don't follow them or high school wrestling in that manner, so they certainly may have without me being aware of it.

I included Felix because I know wvu is recruiting him and that he’s visited (obviously not far to go lol). In terms of skill I am no judge so that’s why I’m asking. Kehler I thought won super 32 as an 8th grader, could be wrong, but is obviously a talented upper weight.

I was curious about kids like Andrick, Mcafee, Bailes and Woyan. Plus any freshman that I don’t know.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:45 pm

Letsgooo wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

I included Felix because I know wvu is recruiting him and that he’s visited (obviously not far to go lol). In terms of skill I am no judge so that’s why I’m asking. Kehler I thought won super 32 as an 8th grader, could be wrong, but is obviously a talented upper weight.

I was curious about kids like Andrick, Mcafee, Bailes and Woyan. Plus any freshman that I don’t know.

Looked up the Super 32. You were partially correct. Kehler won 157 lb as 7th grader and finished 2nd at 180 as an eighth grader. However Super 32 hjgh school is a whole different animal compared to middle school with only a handful of competiters in those weight classes in middle school. I did not find where he competed at the high school level. I am not putting him down, just haven't seen him compete against top notch competition.

aacoach117

Postby aacoach117 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:16 pm

KDunbar wrote:

Obviously competing at national tournaments will get them noticed, but it happens without it too. My son was contacted by several D1 colleges without ever placing in a national tournament and not competing in one after 10th grade.

Once they enter the portal and complete their D1 requirements every D1 school in the country will give them a look. They can enter the portal as soon as they are officially a 12th grader, but sadly many school counselors either wait until the last minute or don't enter them at all, which results in a lot of wrestlers not getting noticed. I had to get my son in and it took weeks to get the school counselor motivated to get me official transcripts to send in. I would guess that a lot of our good wrestlers in the state never get the chance to go D1 because of this.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:09 am

KDunbar wrote:
Letsgooo wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

Looked up the Super 32. You were partially correct. Kehler won 157 lb as 7th grader and finished 2nd at 180 as an eighth grader. However Super 32 hjgh school is a whole different animal compared to middle school with only a handful of competiters in those weight classes in middle school. I did not find where he competed at the high school level. I am not putting him down, just haven't seen him compete against top notch competition.

Thanks for researching that. I’m not saying he’ll be a full scholly kid or in the top ten in bis class or whatever. I just think he’d be a good get for wvu. Good HW’s are hard ti come by especially ones that can move. Hopefully he keeps growing and improving and we get to find out. Plus I’m going to pull for the wv kid.

Andrick did fairly well at super 32 right? Maybe I’m thinking of Iron Man. Pretty sure he went 5-2.

You’re right tho super 32 is the toughest tournament hands down.

Return to “High School Wrestling”